• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
People buy the Mustang for the “American” V8. That’s the reason. If they don’t get that anymore then what’s the point? Can’t be speed or build quality because most of the German brands are better at that.

That's precisely why Ford needs to build a V8 hybrid. If we can't have a pure ICE V8, then a hybrid version is the next best thing.

I honestly think any other engine combination just won't sell in Europe.......definitely not here in the UK.

If the pure ICE V8 is still built for the US market, I'd rather import a LHD US-spec car than buy a UK spec 4 or 6 cylinder hybrid.
Sponsored

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Lariat Sport, 1987 GT, Jeep TJ on 35's
theres been talk of 4-door mustangs since 1964. many prototypes over the years. wagons too.

The gas powered muscle car is about to go extinct. Maybe offering a sedan with mustang branding will equal big sales. Which will equal more funding to keep the mustang ahead of the pack.

I doubt we'll see the voodoo come back in anything mustang or otherwise. which is why I'll be keeping mine....

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Unfortunately you’re right and considering the facts, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll ever see a V8-Hybrid… How many V8 hybrids are there? Pretty much none next to the new AMG GT73, which will be some kind of 4L V8 Hybrid monster with 800+HP.

From an economic standpoint a V8 hybrid is pretty much useless. Just get a V4 or a V6, put on some form of electrification, maybe a turbo or two and at the end of the day you get an engine that produces more power than the current coyote does, is arguably lighter or has a better weight distribution und uses less gas (at least on paper). Unfortunately that sounds like Ford and how they treat the Mustang lately…

The one concern that I would have with this as a white collar: the reason Ford is selling Mustangs in Europe or across the world IS the V8. Ford does not even offer the Ecoboost anymore because nobody cared. If they would offer the Mustang as some 600HP V6 Hybrid in Europe, they would most certainly charge a premium… I would assume that the sticker price would be around 70000€ (~85000$) for a regular Mustang “GT”… Just get an AMG or M car already…

People buy the Mustang for the “American” V8. That’s the reason. If they don’t get that anymore then what’s the point? Can’t be speed or build quality because most of the German brands are better at that.
No need for a 4 door for me, but judging by pickup sales in the US, I'm in the minority. It seems everyone wants 4 door vehicles these days. That said I will never be interested in German cars in any way.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
theres been talk of 4-door mustangs since 1964. many prototypes over the years. wagons too.

The gas powered muscle car is about to go extinct. Maybe offering a sedan with mustang branding will equal big sales. Which will equal more funding to keep the mustang ahead of the pack.

I doubt we'll see the voodoo come back in anything mustang or otherwise. which is why I'll be keeping mine....
The Charger outsells the Challenger by a large margin, so that is my thinking as well. Whatever it takes to keep the coupe on the market.

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
I am vehemently opposed to the Mach E being branded as a Mustang but find this more palatable. Maybe the idea of Mustang becoming it's own brand would have been more widely accepted by the enthusiast community if this was the first non coupe to wear the name. I realize there would still be pushback, myself included.

All that said at least you Mustang fans have future products to speculate about. I'm a big Camaro fan and GM seems to care less about it.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Lariat Sport, 1987 GT, Jeep TJ on 35's
I hear that theres not much to look forward to for you Camaro guys....

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible
I would buy one if it was awd. I just sold my 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0 awd and picked up a 21 BMW M340i xdrive. The list of quick awd sedans is rather short, and I don't want a crossover.
20210302_153926.jpg
They gave me a M340i as a loaner while I was having work done on my 335i. It has a lot more electronic assists than I like, but it's a really nice driving and handling car. Nice size, too.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
They need to bring back the Fox Body
Been there, done that, don't want to do it again - the torture chamber ergonomics are no saddle this cowboy wants to sit and ride in again.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They gave me a M340i as a loaner while I was having work done on my 335i. It has a lot more electronic assists than I like, but it's a really nice driving and handling car. Nice size, too.
Nice loaner - quite quick from what I understand. Now go out and flog that F'er.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then they say "well what about electric... and the wife wants a crossover" :cwl::crackup:🤔
That's what my wife said hence I'm #17000 something in line for a Mach-E GT

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
I would buy one if it was awd. I just sold my 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0 awd and picked up a 21 BMW M340i xdrive. The list of quick awd sedans is rather short, and I don't want a crossover.
20210302_153926.jpg
Oh man, how ironic. 2021 Lincoln Zephyr would've been somewhat similar on CD6-R, as Mark Fields wanted back in 2016.
S650 Mustang Rumor: S650 Mustang 4-Door Sedan Will Debut in 2022 with 3 Engine Options Screenshot_20210303-145538_Chrome

CD622 was the 2021 MKZ renamed as 2021 Zephyr and to be RWD. It was cancelled by Hackett, as was a RWD flagship called CD714.

This chart lists a lot of cars that later came out, but were renamed (MKD became Aviator). As well as cancelled projects for Ford.

See how S650 was supposed to enter production 3 months ago as a CD6 car, yet because Hackett cancelled it and made it another D5 update, it got pushed back 1 and 1/2 years (now 2 years).

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Why not the CD4 like the Continental? That supports AWD, so RWD could be possible.
Not a viable idea. Mach E I imagine was a challenge to convert to RWD and only worked due to the EV aspect. CD4 is mostly FWD and virtually dead now.

Search "panamera" on this forum? Go back 4 years.
I dont think as much of the incremental 4 door design study stuff was released/leaked as it evolved as we would have liked (can we request more leaks? lol).
sldvfrvkzfykmkydfhyf.jpg

I do NOT have any 4door stuff.

Ford is totally capable of providing a product line breadth via evolving design language as strong as Porsche.

Look at the epic failure of the new Chevy Trailblazer styling. Might as well brought back the Pontiac Aztek...

Drove a mule (98?99?) which was a chassis with a couple inches cut out about the middle of the back seat and then welded back together. Remember thinkn how much fun it probably was to fab that up.
Wish Ford would put together more historical documentaries on chassis evolution and the individuals that make the magic happen...
Winner of a post! I wish Ford would too, but they've already hidden all the S550 development videos as soon as Hackett took over years ago.

I guess it's an intellectual property risk and they don't want to leave clues for the competition out of paranoia or some marketing bs.

As for your recollection, I recall that the DEW98 S197 began development in 1999 with IRS in mind and think that SN95 II (New Edge) pretty much was designed by early 1996 and entered production by October/Nov 1998, so a rudimentary mule back then would almost certainly be S197.

Didn't they switch back to SRA around 2001-ish? Due to the dimensional changes from IRS to SRA, that would've been done before S197 was locked in (some say it in 2001, others say by mid-2002).

There were a bunch of New Edge mules running around in 2002, before the real deal showed in camo in spring 2003.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Again keep in mind they have already stated the 2 door mustang v8 isn't going anywhere. Mustang is expanding to be it's own brand. By doing this it's easier to keep the 2 door around. even when the v8 is dead and gone the 2 door will still be around I guarantee it.
No doubt the 2-door will still be there, along all the other cars bearing the name Mustang. I guess my humble point of view is that if everything is a Mustang then a Mustang is nothing. Impossible to be all things to all people and still be special in any way. Appears Ford is exploiting the Mustang marque (theirs to exploit) to the detriment of the car's traditional significance (Mustang SUV, 4-door Mustang, Mustang wagon). Trending toward any Ford that is not a truck being a Mustang.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
No doubt the 2-door will still be there, along all the other cars bearing the name Mustang. I guess my humble point of view is that if everything is a Mustang then a Mustang is nothing. Impossible to be all things to all people and still be special in any way. Appears Ford is exploiting the Mustang marque (theirs to exploit) to the detriment of the car's traditional significance (Mustang SUV, 4-door Mustang, Mustang wagon). Trending toward any Ford that is not a truck being a Mustang.
You guys really need to stop being so petty about this, because the other option is for Ford to completely kill off the Mustang. It's no secret that they are going all in on electrification so we should take what we can get.

All of this has been argued ad nauseam with Porsche and what they've been doing for the past few decades and they still obviously make great cars.
Sponsored