• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Premium fuel for Mustang DH to be more expensive.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
"Ford recommends using the highest octane rating available, but you should not use less than the 90-octane gas in Ford EcoBoost engines." Premium gas is not required to protect the engine." Most of the EcoBoost drivers (I've seen at the pump) use the cheapest gas possible (87 octane). Most gas stations (where I live) have two choices (87 or 91) of octane.
Ford minimum requirement for Ecoboost engines is 87. It was for my 2015 and has remained the same over the years. That said there is a noticeable difference between regular and premium as there is with most boosted engines.

If you buying a DH, you are not to be using it as a daily driver, so you be will probably be buying gas about once a month.
Just a silly comment. There are many members on here driving GT350's, GT500's and Mach 1's as their daily driver. It's a Mustang not a Bugatti.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Here we go again. There a many, many threads about octane on this forum over the years. Not a single one has ever shown a Coyote engine harmed by using regular gas. Maybe not best for maximum performance/gas mileage, but certainly OK to use.
Are you disputing Ford's own website? "...the 2024 Mustang Dark Horse requires premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher...."

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Are you disputing Ford's own website? "...the 2024 Mustang Dark Horse requires premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher...."
Your lack of reading comprehension is showing again. I said nothing about the DH using premium gas. If it does, it does. My comments was regarding daily driving a DH and the Ecoboost.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why are you not to be using it as a daily driver? If I buy one and it is fun to drive, I would daily the syte out of it.
I know someone who lives in a mini-mansion who has a late-model Toyota Tundra as their daily driver and their 2023 Ford Bronco as their weekend adventure vehicle. While his 22-year-old son drives a 2020 Mustang GT and goes to the gas station every 4-5 days. He has so many miles on the car now, its value has dropped considerably and he doesn't care.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your lack of reading comprehension is showing again. I said nothing about the DH using premium gas. If it does, it does. My comments was regarding daily driving a DH and the Ecoboost.
Since no one has used the DH as a daily driver, any statement about premium gas used in the DH based on the actions of previous Coyote engines is totally a guess at best.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I haven't bought <93 since 2019. I take a moment to look around the Costco refueling line of 80+ cars and press that button like a BOSS!

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I’m so excited to see how much these gain with octane and tuning.

The gen4 coyotes in the new f150 pick up over 60tq and they have the weaker cams/rpm with cylinder deactivation

I’m thinking 500 plus to the wheels pretty easily

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Let's remember it's more about smiles per mile than miles per gallon, or cost per gallon in this case. At least with a new Coyote it's just 93 and that's it. I have to put 93 in my '65 F100 PLUS a lead substitute because I have no idea if the previous owner had the valve seats hardened. Better safe than sorry, but it adds up quick! On top of that the 390 with a three speed manual gets about 9 mpg. Still smile every time that old FE comes to life. It'll be the same with my S650.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I haven't bought <93 since 2019. I take a moment to look around the Costco refueling line of 80+ cars and press that button like a BOSS!
Interesting flex my friend

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang Dark Horse - 17' Charger - 17' Ram 1500
I’ve never put anything less than 91 octane in my previous Mustang, and occasionally would put in a bottle of Royal Purple boosting it another 3 octane levels…so this doesn’t bother me at all.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
If you need to run the cheapest gas in your DH then I would suggest buying a cheaper car. If you are going to only keep a few years... run whatever gas you want... if you plan on keeping your car long term... no Costco gas ... run the good stuff...20+ years in the automotive aftermarket and have spent enough time with L1 ASE mechanics and trainers to have insight into what cheap gas does long term. If you don't know what an L1 certified ASE mechanic is..it's the highest level of certification possible in light duty.. only a small percentage of ASE certified mechanic achieve

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I am blown away that some of you would even think about putting 87 in a 12:1 engine.

I’m trying to get it on E85 ASAP
Static compression and dynamic compression are not the same thing. Octane tolerance depends a lot on the timing of valve events, etc. and since both camshafts can be adjusted, the engineers can configure the engine to run on whatever yellow stuff they want.

I know someone who lives in a mini-mansion who has a late-model Toyota Tundra as their daily driver and their 2023 Ford Bronco as their weekend adventure vehicle. While his 22-year-old son drives a 2020 Mustang GT and goes to the gas station every 4-5 days. He has so many miles on the car now, its value has dropped considerably and he doesn't care.
It's great to hear about people who use their cars as cars rather than trophies.

With respect to the original post. I'm glad Ford set up the DH for 91. To me that means they are trying to get power out of the engine. The GT350 is 93 recommended and 91 minimum (similar to my GR86). I guess if the DH is making about 500 at 5.0 liters it is similar in specific output to the Voodoo. Too bad Ford couldn't bump up the output a little more, but hopefully they at least improved some other things in this engine compared to the Voodoo.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
If you need to run the cheapest gas in your DH then I would suggest buying a cheaper car. If you are going to only keep a few years... run whatever gas you want... if you plan on keeping your car long term... no Costco gas ... run the good stuff...20+ years in the automotive aftermarket and have spent enough time with L1 ASE mechanics and trainers to have insight into what cheap gas does long term. If you don't know what an L1 certified ASE mechanic is..it's the highest level of certification possible in light duty.. only a small percentage of ASE certified mechanic achieve
It's been proven countless times through testing that there are no cons to running the minimum required octane in vehicles as long as the OEM mandates it. If a car requires 87 but recommends 91+, you can run 87 perfectly fine. Obviously you'll lose out on some level of power and fuel economy but that's besides the point.

Now if you're talking about top tier gas, then YES, that actually is a thing and has also been proven to be worth going out of your way to use.

All gas stations use some form of detergents to minimize carbon build up, but top tier gas stations use either more detergents or higher quality detergents (idk which it is lol).

Examples of top tier gas stations are Shell, Chevron, Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco, Marathon... and guess what... COSTCO.

Yep, Costco is actually a top tier gas station despite being "cheap."

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
It's been proven countless times through testing that there are no cons to running the minimum required octane in vehicles as long as the OEM mandates it. If a car requires 87 but recommends 91+, you can run 87 perfectly fine. Obviously you'll lose out on some level of power and fuel economy but that's besides the point.

Now if you're talking about top tier gas, then YES, that actually is a thing and has also been proven to be worth going out of your way to use.

All gas stations use some form of detergents to minimize carbon build up, but top tier gas stations use either more detergents or higher quality detergents (idk which it is lol).

Examples of top tier gas stations are Shell, Chevron, Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco, Marathon... and guess what... COSTCO.

Yep, Costco is actually a top tier gas station despite being "cheap."
Yes...should have been more clear... top tier as in quality... not octane levels.....