• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Pirelli tire observation

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
sorry dude, but check their website. PZ4 is 100% a runflat. And BMW is not the only other one using runflats. Corvette and others have been using them for years since most cars don't come with spare tires any more. It's the price we pay for "better fuel mileage". Ask any pro racer how the runflats compare to their non-runflat equivalents. Most buyers in the know ditch the runflats sooner rather than later on their new rides if they come with them.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The P Zero Run Flat (PZ4) utilizes a special high silica content summer-only rubber compound that is molded into an asymmetric tread design focused on comfort, low rolling resistance, low noise and lateral hydroplaning resistance.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
sorry dude, but check their website. PZ4 is 100% a runflat. And BMW is not the only other one using runflats. Corvette and others have been using them for years since most cars don't come with spare tires any more. It's the price we pay for "better fuel mileage". Ask any pro racer how the runflats compare to their non-runflat equivalents. Most buyers in the know ditch the runflats sooner rather than later on their new rides if they come with them.
The PZ4 comes in both runflat and non-runflat versions.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would explain my confusion:)
I've only ever seen the runflats, and they suck.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Most cars, even without a spare tyre, don't have runflats. They come with a can of gunk.

Road cars with runflats have nothing to do with 'pro racers'. Of course race cars don't have runflats!

Runflats can ruin ride quality for sure.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
by definition, run flats and performance car don't go together.
and yet every Corvette comes with RF.

The S550 Ecoboost PP came with PZ4 in 265/40 and a 'wear rating' of 80. Those PZ4 are 'ok'. And warm weather only. And the '80' is a bald-faced lie. They wear like 300's.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
That would explain my confusion:)
I've only ever seen the runflats, and they suck.
Could change that to "Ford puts Pirelli tires on Mustangs and THEY SUCK"
I am on my 6th Mustang and the Pirelli tires all sucked on them.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Back in the 1990's, Firestone had a serious problem in one of there tires that was on many vehicles. While many people were killed because of it, I suspect a large part of the problem was improper driver training. When you have a tire fail, the last thing you want to do is hit the brake because it's a sure way to lose control. You need to take your foot off the gas and coast to a stop. If you have to brake, do it very gently.
Because of this, the ford service reps are now telling me they are supposed to put the best tire on the rear. This is opposite of what I learned as most of the braking takes place in the front so you you want the best stopping power there. Good tires on the back might prevent fish tailing for a bad driver but it could cause other problems for a good driver.
It appears run flats may also be something that came out of it as run flats could help maintain control when you are traveling well above the speed limit.
Personally I was once on the freeway and picked up a 1/2 inch by 6 inch plumbing nipple that must have fallen off a truck. It ended up in the right rear tire and made a steady tick sound. I slowed down, pulled off the freeway and the only damage was to the poor tire which was clearly beyond patching.
Firestone tire problem

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Wear ratings for the EB PP is 220. They are 255/40R19
don't argue with the guy who oned one. :)
And still has the tires.
Personally I was once on the freeway and picked up a 1/2 inch by 6 inch plumbing nipple that must have fallen off a truck. It ended up in the right rear tire and made a steady tick sound
I picked up a steel cable end about 10" long and 3/4" in dia that went thru my RR tire as well.
sudden decompression on the front is a far bigger car control problem than one on the rear.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I picked up a steel cable end about 10" long and 3/4" in dia that went thru my RR tire as well.
sudden decompression on the front is a far bigger car control problem than one on the rear.
I had a lower ball joint fail on my 61 Falcon. They did a mid year upgrade on them but I had the older ones. The wheel folded under the car and as I was doing about 45 miles per hour, it was a fun ride. I didn't hit anything and worked myself off the road but the steering really pulled.
Needless to say, all the problem joints were replaced before I took the car out again.
Sponsored