• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New dark horse vs used 2020 gt500

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GT500 will be faster and it will retain its value better than the Dark Horse if you don't mind having an automatic. But if you plan on tracking, keep in mind that consumables will be $$$$ with the GT500. Be sure you can afford it before buying.

I probably wouldn't select a new Dark Horse based on what I know right now. I would go for a 2019 GT350 or a 2015-2017 GT PP (this car would need modifications for track use, in my opinion). But it's possible we will see more info about the DarkHorse and it will be better than I currently think it is.

Edit: I see in a later post you say the GT350 wasn't for you. I think you need to go back to the ZL1 (maybe go for regular ZL1 rather than a 1LE version). A GT500 is an option.

The DH is NOT for you. AFAIK it will be slower in a straight line than the GT350.

Or just wait for the next halo if you don't like the GT500 enough.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Love the GT500... The styling is so much better than the GT350. Not a fan of the droopy headlights. Prefer the angular look.
Love the GT500 but I think it’s the least attractive of the special editions. Always thought it was overstyled and Frankenstein-ish

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
To each their own...

But I also like the angular Viper versus the first generation and last generation.
Same here, but it feels like all of those were designed homogenously. The GT500 looks badass, it’s just a chonker in the looks department imo, but the fact that it pulverizes pavement makes it work subconsciously lol

then again I’m obviously biased since I think the GT350 is the most attractive design of them all lol. If I had to pick and choose hoods, front fenders, bumpers, rear diffusers, and spoiler options, I’d pick it every time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Same here, but it feels like all of those were designed homogenously. The GT500 looks badass, it’s just a chonker in the looks department imo, but the fact that it pulverizes pavement makes it work subconsciously lol

then again I’m obviously biased since I think the GT350 is the most attractive design of them all lol. If I had to pick and choose hoods, front fenders, bumpers, rear diffusers, and spoiler options, I’d pick it every time
Well looking at your signature, I see your bias.. 😆

They're both great. And you're right about the 500. 🤤

OP
OP

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
Yeah I'm really into the GT500. I think it handles everything I want. Factory fast, great for the 3 or 4 track days a year, looks amazing and now we just need a reasonable price 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 & 2010 Honda Fit Sport
I'm firmly in the 2020 GT500 for $65k camp.

My brother has one, I've drive it plenty, his previous was a gt350R... total turd.

Anyway there is NO comparison...headers, injectors and a pulley, THE MFr makes around 900 wheel.

Slap a whipple 3.8 and Id1700s... make 11-1200 wheel reliably.

And LOL at anyone calling it an auto...the second you go to drive it you'll realize it's not... it like calling my RMVB C4 an auto... it isn't.
Resized_20220507_191233.jpeg
Exactly. It's a DCT and calling it an automatic is not comparing apples and oranges. Most people think of automatics as slush boxes and such. Just because there's no clutch pedal doesn't mean it's like the automatic in your Camry or Equinox or Camaro. Drive a DCT and you'll realize a HUGE difference in how it functions and feels. I drove a 2014 Ferrari 458 Spyder and the DCT felt like a manual in any gear I was in. I don't know if the GT500 DCT feels the same as I never drove one yet, but if it does let me assure you it's nothing like the A10 in my GT.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Exactly. It's a DCT and calling it an automatic is not comparing apples and oranges. Most people think of automatics as slush boxes and such. Just because there's no clutch pedal doesn't mean it's like the automatic in your Camry or Equinox or Camaro. Drive a DCT and you'll realize a HUGE difference in how it functions and feels. I drove a 2014 Ferrari 458 Spyder and the DCT felt like a manual in any gear I was in. I don't know if the GT500 DCT feels the same as I never drove one yet, but if it does let me assure you it's nothing like the A10 in my GT.
It’s a *good* automatic. Just like the PDKs in Porsches, or the DCTs in Ferraris and many, many other cars. There are also *good* torque converter boxes out there that are only just a notch off the best dual clutch boxes in terms of input response and outright shift speeds.

But a calling a DCT a manual is like calling the earth flat. A sequential manual gearbox (SMG) is “closer” to a manual than a DCT in that it’s literally just a clutch pedal-less manual gearbox that automates clutch engagement. But… they’re functionally identical to DCTs, just inferior to operate. And in most cases, they’re truer to real manuals in that you have to lift off throttle on upshifts for smooth changes.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 & 2010 Honda Fit Sport
It’s a *good* automatic. Just like the PDKs in Porsches, or the DCTs in Ferraris and many, many other cars. There are also *good* torque converter boxes out there that are only just a notch off the best dual clutch boxes in terms of input response and outright shift speeds.

But a calling a DCT a manual is like calling the earth flat. A sequential manual gearbox (SMG) is “closer” to a manual than a DCT in that it’s literally just a clutch pedal-less manual gearbox that automates clutch engagement. But… they’re functionally identical to DCTs, just inferior to operate. And in most cases, they’re truer to real manuals in that you have to lift off throttle on upshifts for smooth changes.
I suppose. I like the Pro Stock cars where the clutch is only used to leave the line and at the end of the run; in between it's just run the shifter like you could on a bike (though probably not recommended).

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Gt500 prices are starting to come down in the mid 70s which is nice. I've seen new gt500 for 85k. With the dark horse going to be in the 69-72ish which would you get?
What are you planning on using it for?
How long are you planning on keeping it?
Are you okay with the hit to fuel efficiency?
Is this going to be a fun car or a daily driver

If you are looking at absolute highest performance you can get in a factory setup? Are you going to be tracking your car (road racing or drag racing), or doing something else that will require you to have the very highest performance?
Is this a car you plan on keeping 2 years or 12 years? The reason I ask is that if you keep it two years, any repairs should be in-line with other mustangs so long as you are not breaking things due to racing. If you are keeping it 12 years, that maintenance and repair will start getting significantly more expensive, especially if you have problems with major systems.

Current Mach 1 is 15/23/18. I expect the efficiency to be similar for the dark horse
GT500 is 12/18/14. This will put a serious hit to your wallet if it's a daily driver vs a weekend fun car.

Honestly, if you are looking at a daily driver or are looking for a really fun car but don't need the biggest performance you can get, then get the Dark Horse. If you are looking for eye candy and the best weekend warrior race car, get the GT500.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 GT350 #028 & #383
ah yes reading this totally makes me think this is going to be an objective and level take

…it is literally an automated gearbox tf
You are right technically on each mistake of his. Q6543 has no clue. Although I like the looks of a GT500, but.... I have a 2019 GT350 and a Corvette C7 Z06. My GT350 is fabulous on winding roads and is worth buying just for the engine sound at 8,300 rpm. My Z06 will blow the doors off of a GT500 in 0-60, as the GT500 tops out at 180 my Z06 will roar on past 200. The GT500 is 630 lbs heavier than my Corvette - that's a lot.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
So seems like what everyone agrees on is used Gt500>darkhorse.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i honestly like the Dark Horse better, but i know i'm in the minority here
i mainly like the interior plus the grill/front end better, and i'll take a 10R80 over the Tremec 9070

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I personally would never buy a GT500 because I don't really like power adders or automatics. So for me the DarkHorse would be by far preferred if those were the only two cars in existence and I had to choose one.

But I think GT350 or even 2017 or prior GTPP1 with mods >> DarkHorse.
Sponsored