• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New dark horse vs used 2020 gt500

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
So seems like what everyone agrees on is used Gt500>darkhorse.
That's actually 2 of the cars (plus Mach 1 and GT350) I had it narrowed down to recently and decided Dark Horse. I want to get some track time under my belt, and learn how to drive quickly and do it well. I assume the power level will be easier to control at the track at the Dark Horse level. I suspect the horspower is going to be closer to GT350 than Mach 1, and not have the flat plane crank oil burning issues(though i love the sound, sweet car, still want 1). Plus a new DH should get a Track Attack day.

I have a buddy that has a CFTP GT500 and it's amazing, but decided to get the car I can probably drive better. When i get more confident, maybe Ill get a 2022 GT500. Or maybe there will be a 2026 GT500.

Dark Horse was the right decision for me, YMMV
Sponsored

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Iā€™m either getting a dark horse, Mach 1HP, or back into a GT350 (2020 MY only). Just depends on pricing and where the used car market is in comparison.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
That's actually 2 of the cars (plus Mach 1 and GT350) I had it narrowed down to recently and decided Dark Horse. I want to get some track time under my belt, and learn how to drive quickly and do it well. I assume the power level will be easier to control at the track at the Dark Horse level. I suspect the horspower is going to be closer to GT350 than Mach 1, and not have the flat plane crank oil burning issues(though i love the sound, sweet car, still want 1). Plus a new DH should get a Track Attack day.

I have a buddy that has a CFTP GT500 and it's amazing, but decided to get the car I can probably drive better. When i get more confident, maybe Ill get a 2022 GT500. Or maybe there will be a 2026 GT500.

Dark Horse was the right decision for me, YMMV
If you want do learn how to drive on a track just buy a 50-75hp car and try to set new personal records. A 500hp car is everything but a car for 'learners'... Seriously, buy a cheap car that is easy to maintain but still somewhat fun to drive and beat it around a track.
It might save your life after all ;)

Don't get me wrong: buy a DH or any other car if you like, especially if you're in for a joy ride but don't 'get some track time under your belt' in a fairly expensive and way too fast car for track-starters.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And if heā€™s had very little seat time, and goes right to a DH level car, Iā€™d suggest a couple autocross events prior to a road course. More safe learning. Kill a couple cones vs scrub a wall.

If you want do learn how to drive on a track just buy a 50-75hp car and try to set new personal records. A 500hp car is everything but a car for 'learners'... Seriously, buy a cheap car that is easy to maintain but still somewhat fun to drive and beat it around a track.
It might save your life after all ;)

Don't get me wrong: buy a DH or any other car if you like, especially if you're in for a joy ride but don't 'get some track time under your belt' in a fairly expensive and way too fast car for track-starters.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Iā€™m either getting a dark horse, Mach 1HP, or back into a GT350 (2020 MY only). Just depends on pricing and where the used car market is in comparison.
Would love to have those options...

Here in Germany you can get/couldā€™ve gotten a Mach 1 for around ~60K (discounts included) and thatā€™s pretty much it. We never got the Shelbyā€™s thatā€™s why they are extremely rare and expensive. If you find one that is Carfax approved you have to spend around 90-120000ā‚¬ on it, which is ridiculous.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big ouch šŸ˜¬
Would love to have those options...

Here in Germany you can get/couldā€™ve gotten a Mach 1 for around ~60K (discounts included) and thatā€™s pretty much it. We never got the Shelbyā€™s thatā€™s why they are extremely rare and expensive. If you find one that is Carfax approved you have to spend around 90-120000ā‚¬ on it, which is ridiculous.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
And if heā€™s had very little seat time, and goes right to a DH level car, Iā€™d suggest a couple autocross events prior to a road course. More safe learning. Kill a couple cones vs scrub a wall.
Yep, killing cones and driving schools before track days, want to learn the correct way.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
If I was seriously considering a GT500, the Dark Horse wouldn't even be on my radar. Mach 1 vs. GT350 vs. Dark Horse would be reasonable to consider.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The nice thing about a gas pedal is you don't have to push it all the way down. I see nothing wrong with buying a Dark Horse to track even if you have no prior track experience. Go to a track event where an instructor rides with you. Take it EASY. Focus on being smooth and consistent. Don't time yourself. Just enjoy it and listen to the instructor.

The lightweight, low-powered car is a great option for the track as well, though. It will be a lot cheaper. Buying a set of tires for a DH that will probably cost $1500 and then burning them up in a couple track days is not out of the question. You will understand why people make different choices.

But going easy with a DH is also a great way to reduce the cost of consumables while you learn.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I've never driven a GT500, only a GT350. But there's gotta be something special about that dual-clutch transmission in the GT500.

I'd take a GT500 over the DH in a heartbeat. Even just on looks alone. Specially if it can be had for less than $85K.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Why are yā€™all comparing a $74-95k GT500 to a car thatā€™s clearly closer in relation to a GT350/M1 and will likely carry a similar price

Of course Iā€™d prefer the more expensive, top-range model especially if I miraculously found it for less lol tf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Why are yā€™all comparing a $74-95k GT500 to a car thatā€™s clearly closer in relation to a GT350/M1 and will likely carry a similar price

Of course Iā€™d prefer the more expensive, top-range model especially if I miraculously found it for less lol tf
A mach fully optioned out is 70k, a base gt500 is 75k. Dark Horse may be 73k? I was cross shopping those options. I chose Dark Horse for reasons, but I can see where you may be tempted.

Any options at all on the GT500 increases the price quickly though, and I decided I wanted an optioned car, so that helped my decision.

OP
OP

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
A mach fully optioned out is 70k, a base gt500 is 75k. Dark Horse may be 73k? I was cross shopping those options. I chose Dark Horse for reasons, but I can see where you may be tempted.

Any options at all on the GT500 increases the price quickly though, and I decided I wanted an optioned car, so that helped my decision.
This is where I'm at.
Sponsored