• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse vs Shelby

sjerven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse
I often read the words ‘it’s not a shelby’. That got me thinking that a lot of people are stuck in the past. It seems like Ford is trying to move away from using Shelby in their branding, perhaps due to licensing fees and marketing reasons.

if you look at the GT500 and GT350, you could argue the engines have more power than the Dark Horse. The voodoo engine has proven to be unreliable and expensive, so it makes sense Ford could not keep selling it. So aside from the more powerful engines, is there one part on any Shelby version Mustang that is better than a Dark Horse? Suspension, wheels, exhaust, interior, anything ? I’d like to know what makes these cars a ‘Shelby’ besides the name and a few extra horsepower.

From my perspective Ford has made the very best NA V8 they could in the Dark Horse using all the best old and new parts available, from Shelby and beyond.
Sponsored

Jays Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse
I couldn't agree more I got the dark horse over a shelby. I just like the car much better. If I decide to super charge it, It'll be much faster than a Shelby anyway. I read an article where the DH was .1 seconds slower 0 to 60. I'll take that from the DH stock engine.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
id argue as it sits right now there's no room for a Shelby branded car. the Dark Horse replaced the Mach 1 which replace the GT350. Ford doesn't need a production GT500 because the FP800 fits the "supercharged mustang" niche. the only way to really improve the GT500 would be prohibitively expensive...like almost race car expensive...potentially even GTD expensive...

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
id argue as it sits right now there's no room for a Shelby branded car. the Dark Horse replaced the Mach 1 which replace the GT350. Ford doesn't need a production GT500 because the FP800 fits the "supercharged mustang" niche. the only way to really improve the GT500 would be prohibitively expensive...like almost race car expensive...potentially even GTD expensive...
I think we'll get something with a performance level that surpasses the s550 Shelby's, but I agree, Ford needs to move past the Shelby branding. I predict whatever it is will have some form of the 5.4 Ford is running in the mustang gt3, much like how the Corvette gt3 has a 5.5 flat plane crank V8 like the road going zo6.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we'll get something with a performance level that surpasses the s550 Shelby's, but I agree, Ford needs to move past the Shelby branding. I predict whatever it is will have some form of the 5.4 Ford is running in the mustang gt3, much like how the Corvette gt3 has a 5.5 flat plane crank V8 like the road going zo6.
its possible, the GTD is basically a 'roided out GT3 featuring active aerodynamics and a supercharged 5.2L V8 for 800+HP as an upgrade over the GT3s static aerodynamics and 5.4L V8 making 600ish HP

i can see them trying to move the needle back towards a cheap version but theres not much they can do without seriously hindering the performance of the car just by virtue of how expensive the tech in the car is right now.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
Be realistic.

We all know a Shelby is just that because Ford pays them a licensing fee to paste the brand badge and a snake on well, a Ford. So raise your hand if you actually think that whatever hi-po car Ford builds would bring just as much branded “Ford” with no “Shelby” badge. Short answer: no chance. Ford knows this. Why else would they pay SA the royalties on the GT350/500?

There‘s marketplace magic in those six letters and it gets proven out there every day.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Be realistic.

We all know a Shelby is just that because Ford pays them a licensing fee to paste the brand badge and a snake on well, a Ford. So raise your hand if you actually think that whatever hi-po car Ford builds would bring just as much branded “Ford” with no “Shelby” badge. Short answer: no chance. Ford knows this. Why else would they pay SA the royalties on the GT350/500?

There‘s marketplace magic in those six letters and it gets proven out there every day.
This right here. I agree 100%

So a few things … first the gen 2 voodoo has proven itself reliable …

can you find a thread where one or two let go… absolutely… but I also know of threads on here where 2024 cars had their motor replaced all ready …

first I absolutely love the coyote … I specifically looked for a truck that had one even though it’s slower because I love the way they sound

that being said … until you have driven a 350 you won’t understand … it’s not a numbers car.. it’s a feeling car.. it’s an experience car…the voodoo makes the car

it’s like in the world of supercars where I have a few friends that play… the AWD Huracan is faster then the 2WD Huracan … a Turbo S is faster in a straight line then a GT3 …

but the GT3 and the 2WD Huracan is what is sought after …

I mean let’s face it… KIA makes an EV that would beat all of us on the street to 60 with car seats in the back

we choose our cars for the experience…

and this is in no way a knock on the Dark Horse… it like the Mach 1 are incredible cars and if I didnt all ready own my car a Dark Horse would be in contention given you can buy them new with full warranty in front of you.. definitely the perfect car for what many are looking for

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I often read the words ‘it’s not a shelby’. That got me thinking that a lot of people are stuck in the past. It seems like Ford is trying to move away from using Shelby in their branding, perhaps due to licensing fees and marketing reasons.

if you look at the GT500 and GT350, you could argue the engines have more power than the Dark Horse. The voodoo engine has proven to be unreliable and expensive, so it makes sense Ford could not keep selling it. So aside from the more powerful engines, is there one part on any Shelby version Mustang that is better than a Dark Horse? Suspension, wheels, exhaust, interior, anything ? I’d like to know what makes these cars a ‘Shelby’ besides the name and a few extra horsepower.

From my perspective Ford has made the very best NA V8 they could in the Dark Horse using all the best old and new parts available, from Shelby and beyond.
while it’s true that Shelby is basically just branding at this point, what is also true is that Ford put way more effort into developing the Shelby cars since the gt350.

the dark horse does benefit from some of the things learned during gt350 development (and applied to Mach 1), but not all of it.

while the Shelby is the more special car, the dark horse has its own place. It’s basically a Mach 1 level. A step above the GT. It’s just not as big a jump as say a 2016 gt350 compared to a 2016 GT.

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
Ford has entered the name Mustang and its derivatives, like Dark Horse, in every racing field I know of for a reason. Once they start winning (which they already have) the name Shelby will no longer be relevant going forward. The Shelby legacy will be just that and only that methinks.

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
while it’s true that Shelby is basically just branding at this point, what is also true is that Ford put way more effort into developing the Shelby cars since the gt350.

the dark horse does benefit from some of the things learned during gt350 development (and applied to Mach 1), but not all of it.

while the Shelby is the more special car, the dark horse has its own place. It’s basically a Mach 1 level. A step above the GT. It’s just not as big a jump as say a 2016 gt350 compared to a 2016 GT.
This. And that extra effort is very apparent. Until you’ve driven a 350/500, it’s hard to put into words.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
I agree that the Shelby name needs to be put to rest. The name is steeped in history but to dress a modern car in snakes and stripes with the Shelby name is by definition fake. You may as well call it a Shelby tribute, because that's what any of the cars badged Shelby are when he or his shop had nothing to do with them.

I had a '16 GT350, and when that engine seized w/ approx 3K on it I lobbied hard for a replacement 2017 and I got it. I loved that engine and put it up there with some of the very best from an experience perspective. But I sold the car as I didn't trust the engine to be reliable. It speaks volumes that Ford no longer raced with that engine mid cycle, and no longer produces that 5.2 flat plane crank engine. The engine was a failure from the corporate standpoint, way too many warranty replacements. Now the GT350 has the reputation for being unreliable which is really unfortunate. The Coyote may not have the soulful experience that the Voodoo has, it's not as 'special' had but it is a much better engine.

Going forward, what I'd like to see above the DH is a Mustang with the 5.4L. Call it anything over a Shelby, maybe Mustang GT3, GT4, street version Dark Horse R but bridge the gap between the DH and the GTD. I have heard that Ford may reveal something like this at the 60th anniversary in April so I'll be waiting as FP hasn't called about my GTD application yet.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbh Ford kind of needs to drop the Shelby name, the dude died over a decade ago, he has no involvement with the current generations development. That coupled with the last gen top end being the SHELBY GT500 vs the DODGE SRT hellcat and the CHEVY Camaro ZL1, Fords the only one who had to use an outside company to make their high end. makes it look kind of like Ford doesnt know how to make a performance car, which is anything but true, the only thing Shelby really did for the S550 generation was slap their name on it. Its not like Ford cant make their own brands super popular on their own, after all one of the more talked about cars from the 2000's is the SVT Cobra "Terminator" an entirely Ford name.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
tbh Ford kind of needs to drop the Shelby name, the dude died over a decade ago, he has no involvement with the current generations development. That coupled with the last gen top end being the SHELBY GT500 vs the DODGE SRT hellcat and the CHEVY Camaro ZL1, Fords the only one who had to use an outside company to make their high end. makes it look kind of like Ford doesnt know how to make a performance car, which is anything but true, the only thing Shelby really did for the S550 generation was slap their name on it. Its not like Ford cant make their own brands super popular on their own, after all one of the more talked about cars from the 2000's is the SVT Cobra "Terminator" an entirely Ford name.
Agreed. However I wouldn’t mind any other historic nameplates under Ford’s corporate umbrella I.e. Mach 1, any of the Boss names etc
Sponsored