• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New 2024 GT Performance Question

Suvak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
I'm shopping for a new car and the Mustang is on the very short list. I test-drove a 2022 GT with 5k miles and loved it, but the dealer wanted too much money and offered too little for my car.

So, I test-drove a brand new 2024 GT Premium and was very disappointed in the performance. I couldn't believe it was (mostly) the same engine. It wasn't exciting at all. It sounded fantastic, but that was it. I set it to sport/track, I tried everything. It just wasn't fun.

I've heard rumors that the new Mustangs are restricted for the first few X,000 miles. Is there any truth to this? I've read the manual at it refers to the rings needing time to seat, but I don't think that explains the disparity.

I really don't have much interest in the 2024 based on my experience, but I'm hoping that there is some rational explanation for this. Maybe it was just a bad egg.

I'd really appreciate some first-hand input. There is a lot to like about the Mustang, but it needs to perform.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
If someone can cite a source, I'd like to read or listen to it. I'm not aware of any limitations. Ford does have a general recommended break-in period of 1000 mi / 1600 kms, but no physical or electronic* limits.

You can use the Search feature in the upper-right corner to look for similar threads on this topic.

* Ford does have a "transport" mode it uses when shipping cars; this is turned-off once the car has arrived at the dealer. Transport mode does limit the vehicle in certain ways. Anyone can deactivate the feature. It's a stretch, but this mode could have still been engaged during your test drive. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Last edited:

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
No restrictions for the break-in period but I did notice somewhat different vehicle dynamics around the end of my break-in. Nothing I can empirically detail out unfortunately so its all based on experience. A better use of time would be to gather both stickers and understand the builds. As a former Engineer for Ford up until September this year I have yet to see a single S550 outperform a S650 with the same/similar specs. It's likely you test drove one vehicle out that had a better gear ratio which makes a huge difference in these cars as far as low end torque goes which it sounds like what you're looking for.

if you want 3.73 Torsen in the manual you need the PP. If you want the Auto you'll get the 3.55 Torsen when opting for PP. If its non-pp your gear ratios are lower.

rockstar B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I felt like mine picked up a lot of power between 800-2000 miles, but it could also be me getting used to the car. It really needs to be revved out to get the best driving experience. I'm desperately waiting for 4.09 gears.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Around 400 miles mine woke up. Started hitting the prescribed 7500 redline and felt like it should. Just my experience.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Can you be absolutely certain that the 2022 you test-drove was 100% stock ?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
Suvak asked: I've heard rumors that the new Mustangs are restricted for the first few X,000 miles. Is there any truth to this?

In a quick word, no, absolutely not. Think about it logically for a minute; if it were true first of all it would be prominent in the manual in unambiguous terms so people wouldnā€™t be worried about it. Itā€™d be front page headline news on every Ford related site on the internet. The dealer would warn you. And so on and on.

Corvette and Porsche yes, Mustang no.

The car you drove probably just needed a couple hundred miles and a full send or two. Itā€™s always worked wonders for me!

PS-Any idea what drive mode you might have been in? That would make a huge difference in the throttle response.

Last edited:

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I know you believe YOUR experience.

however upon objective metrics my 2024 was 4 tenths quicker and 3.5 MPH faster than identical equipped 2020 GT at the drag strip, multiple times.

reasons that the slower car may have ā€œfeltā€ faster could be the level of refinements in the 2024 over the last gen.

GL with your search

packfan021488

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Shadow Black GT PP
I owned a 2018 PP2 and a 2020 PP1. The 2018 had headers, full exhuast, tune and intake. was that car faster than my current 2024 ? yes but only very slightly in my opinion (no head to head comparisons as I used it as a trade in). I would say my 18 GT definitely had better torque delivery but that was almost certainly because of the tune. The 2024 GT PP with 3.73 gears is stock for stock absolutely faster than the S550. When tuning is available I firmly believe they will be faster than the tuned S550 as well.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I think it takes miles for the computer to learn the engine. Yes it comes with a start from the factory but altitude, temperature and humidity may play in the adjustments. I know mine was a bit sluggish at first but it's getting better as I approach 1,000 miles. One item still remains. The engine doesn't really start waking up until it hits 2,500 to 3,000 RPMs. This engine wants to run and isn't real happy at lower RPMs.

Last edited:

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Almost all generation Coyote motors like 3K and above.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Dynos for pre-break in and post-break in cars have been the same....I think it was something else....

Could have been many things- different gear ratios in the rear end, maybe one had 87 and the other 93 or simply the 22 had modifications on it....also depending on where you were....had some warm days around here in So Cal recently - so if you drove one in 85 degree weather and one in 60 degree weather....

Tons of variables here - I own an S550 GT350R - so not a fan boy trying to stick up for the S650 - but I genuinely think there were other factors- because no way should the S550 been seat of the pants faster- try driving an S650 GT A10 with the 3.55s

DSimon24GTPPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, Performance Pack + Active
Iā€™ve owned my 24 GT PP since September 21st now and I can tell you 100%, restrictions or not, my car runs MUCH better with the more miles put on it. I didnā€™t even get on the car once within the first 500 miles. Well, I think I went WOT at 496 miles lol, but same difference. And Iā€™m telling you, itā€™s making more power now than it was at 500 miles. Thereā€™s no doubt in my mind. I donā€™t know if itā€™s ECU related, engine/trans/diff break in related, or what. But I can tell a difference in the car at 500 miles vs now at 3,000.
Sponsored