• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mustang scratched in transit

Lightningwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Ordered Vapor Blue 2024 Mustang GT Premium 401A in January. It arrived at the dealership this week.

Salesman tells me today that the car got scratched when being backed off the truck. He says they will schedule to put it in the bodyshop and fix the scratch.

Unsure of it it will show up on the carfax or the car's history. I'm wondering if I should accept delivery of this vehicle with it already having to go in the body shop.

Recommendations? Thoughts? Opinions on handling the situation?

S650 Mustang Mustang scratched in transit image000000 4.JPG
S650 Mustang Mustang scratched in transit image000000 3.JPG
Sponsored

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Ordered Vapor Blue 2024 Mustang GT Premium 401A in January. It arrived at the dealership this week.

Salesman tells me today that the car got scratched when being backed off the truck. He says they will schedule to put it in the bodyshop and fix the scratch.

Unsure of it it will show up on the carfax or the car's history. I'm wondering if I should accept delivery of this vehicle with it already having to go in the body shop.

Recommendations? Thoughts? Opinions on handling the situation?

image000000 4.JPG
image000000 3.JPG
Shouldn't show up because it hasn't been reported sold yet. Let them fix it and then inspect. If it passes your test, sign away.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Let them fix it first, then decide. Why walk away now? No, I would not expect it to be recorded anywhere.

But the bigger question is: Did you pay for the extra $$$ for the "package protection" coverage? I hear it's an 'industry-wide inclusion" ... :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Let them fix it first, then decide. Why walk away now? No, I would not expect it to be recorded anywhere.

But the bigger question is: Did you pay for the extra $$$ for the "package protection" coverage? I hear it's an 'industry-wide inclusion" ... :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:
$1,395.00 well spent!

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Bummer, looks like they already painted over Yellow Splash with Vapor Blue, maybe it's the lighting, JK

Seriously though, I wouldn't back out yet**. That is not too bad a spot, It wont show up on a CarFax.

*See how it turns out after the repair, then negotiate a discount, point out, it is very upsetting and it technically will not be a factory fresh car.

Billycar11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac Grand Prix
might even be mostly pain transfer im sure there's damage but i would polish away the yellow to see where you stand

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
People don't want to realize it, but that is quite normal. That's why some dealers won't allow customers to see their car before they inspected and polished them.

From the pictures it looks like someelse lost their paint onto the Mustang, so maybe they can just polish it out. Just let them fix it and look closely if they did a good job, in the worst case they have to repeat it until you're happy.

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
People don't want to realize it, but that is quite normal. That's why some dealers won't allow customers to see their car before they inspected and polished them.

From the pictures it looks like someelse lost their paint onto the Mustang, so maybe they can just polish it out. Just let them fix it and look closely if they did a good job, in the worst case they have to repeat it until you're happy.
Agreed, transport drivers don't give two f's. Had a maverick show up last week, driver hit the toggles the wrong way and crushed the back of the roof. 4 hours later, had a superduty show up with the drive shaft dragging on the ground after ole boy was setting a land speed record backing off the truck and fell off the ramps 🤣🤣🤣

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
As a reference, the car is currently without title, which aligns with others' comments on no reports would go to CarFax or anyone else. The car doesn't exist yet in any state database.

The car does have a Certificate of Origin, created by Ford and now with the dealer. This certificate will be filed with the state as part of the titling process once sold. It's only then CarFax and others have tracking ability.

It's unfortunate, but transit damage does happen. Anything from scrapes and scratches to significant body or mechanical damage. I agree with others: let the dealer work on the area, then present the car for your inspection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lightningwings

Lightningwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Thank you all for the comments and insight.

I asked for progress a few days ago and he said that the body shop manager said they had to repaint the whole quarter panel. He said they are currently waiting on a new 5.0 badge to be delivered because they couldn’t reinstall the original one after the paint job because the alignment pins on the back of the badge could damage the new paint or something to that effect.

He said the Mustang will be finished tomorrow. So I will be going back to the dealer on Saturday to hopefully finalize the deal.

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
Thank you all for the comments and insight.

I asked for progress a few days ago and he said that the body shop manager said they had to repaint the whole quarter panel. He said they are currently waiting on a new 5.0 badge to be delivered because they couldn’t reinstall the original one after the paint job because the alignment pins on the back of the badge could damage the new paint or something to that effect.

He said the Mustang will be finished tomorrow. So I will be going back to the dealer on Saturday to hopefully finalize the deal.
Make sure you take it outside and let the sun hit it stand back and check at different angles to make sure the fender matches the door.

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
Make sure you take it outside and let the sun hit it stand back and check at different angles to make sure the fender matches the door.
Just for your information the quarter panel is rear, fender is the front. Just the more you know. 🫵

4ksk416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
I would pass and go find another. I don’t trust dealers to do much these days especially paint.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I would pass and go find another. I don’t trust dealers to do much these days especially paint.
He ordered it and waited ~6 months.