• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I recently talked to a friend who seemed to be in the know (credible source as they do contract work for Ford) said there were two v8 options they were working, a new gen coyote and a 7 liter displacement engine. I said are you sure it wasn’t 6.8? And he said maybe but pretty confident it was a 7 liter. All we can do is hope right lol
Very cool if accurate!
Sponsored

MountainStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Very cool if accurate!
I know! He was right about the new c8 flat plane crank. Talked about how GM kept smashing rear windshields due to the vibrations. Apparently Ford also has a doc they wrote awhile back that states that the largest displacement FPC should be 5.2 liters, but GM is pushing it anyways. He was more of a GM guy that’s why he was lack luster over Ford stuff

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Right now, I'll take info from any source, credible or not :giggle:

But, seriously, a Gen 4 Coyote makes sense and a 7 litre? Well, we know they're working on a 6.8 and already have a 7.3, so who knows! Maybe we will get one last ICE hurrah for the 7th Gen Mustang :)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
He was right about the new c8 flat plane crank.
To be fair, the complete C8 lineup including the 5.5l flatplane V8 was leaked about 2-3 years ago, so it isn't really a secret anymore.

I personally have my doubts about two V8s in the current state of the industry. Maybe we see another V8 besides an updated Coyote in a heavy duty derivate or in a Shelby, but two V8s for regular Mustangs and the rumored V6-hybrid? That's a bit much and really redundant, especially since they already cut the V6 for a reason. I don't know, with Mustangs international focus they don't really have markets for these engines anymore, and two V8s for NA only?

Last edited:

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
To be fair, the complete C8 lineup including the 5.5l flatplane V8 was leaked about 2-3 years ago, so it isn't really a secret anymore.

I personally have my doubts about two V8s in the current state of the industry. Maybe we see another V8 besides an updated Coyote in a heavy duty derivate or in a Shelby, but two V8s for regular Mustangs and the rumored V6-hybrid? That's a bit much and really redundant, especially since they already cut the V6 for a reason. I don't know, with Mustangs international focus they don't really have markets for these engines anymore, and two V8s for NA only?
Yes, new coyote for the GT, and the 6.8 for a Shelby GT350. The GT500, if it happens, I'm thinking will have 6.8 plus hybrid assist.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
If they do come out with a Godzilla based 427-429 ci (7.0L) hybrid, my only hope is that it would be affordable enough for me to buy one.... :rockon:

Realistically though, if something like that materializes, I am likely going to be priced out of the market as it will be some specialty variant in the $55k plus range....

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yes, new coyote for the GT, and the 6.8 for a Shelby GT350. The GT500, if it happens, I'm thinking will have 6.8 plus hybrid assist.

As dreaming is all we can do right now, I'd want a GT350 to utilise an upgraded Gen 4 Coyote. GT350 needs to be nimble of foot, with a high revving engine just like the original. The GT500 could use the 6.8 as an all out torque monster, much like the original big block 428 GT500.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
But do you really think such a big engine could actually outperform the current GT500? Usally going for 6.8l would mean carrying even more weigth that has to be balanced, and obviously Ford had to take their time to get the S550 GT500 right for the track. Not speaking of how insanely expensive the CFTP is compared to a ZL1 1LE.

With Camaro and Dodge most like not going into another ICE generation, the big question would be what the next GT500 would be up against. It might not be fair that it might have to compete with a C8 Z06 for obvious reasons, so Ford would need competitors they can beat to show how good the car is.

I think a GT500 would again be in the late lifecycle of the Mustang, so we are talking about a launch in 2026? That's when Dodge and Chevy will also have their e-Musclecars launched. "The internet" cares so much about straigth line performance, having a big ICE up against BEVs might have horrible results to promote your performance car

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
But do you really think such a big engine could actually outperform the current GT500? Usally going for 6.8l would mean carrying even more weigth that has to be balanced, and obviously Ford had to take their time to get the S550 GT500 right for the track. Not speaking of how insanely expensive the CFTP is compared to a ZL1 1LE.

With Camaro and Dodge most like not going into another ICE generation, the big question would be what the next GT500 would be up against. It might not be fair that it might have to compete with a C8 Z06 for obvious reasons, so Ford would need competitors they can beat to show how good the car is.

I think a GT500 would again be in the late lifecycle of the Mustang, so we are talking about a launch in 2026? That's when Dodge and Chevy will have their e-Musclecars launched. "The internet" cares so much about straigth line performance, having a big ICE up against BEVs might have horrible results to promote your performance car
Godzilla based aluminum block 7.0L with a proper performance cam and intake (not truck optimized) can likely make close to what the GT500 is putting out now NA (with an intake swap and LTs the Godzilla is capable of around 650hp NA). Couple that with an electric 10 speed and not only will it be more powerful then the current 500 it will be lighter. An Aluminum block LS7 (pushrod based aluminum block) is around 400lbs while a NA coyote is around 450lbs. A Godzilla is around 530lbs with an iron block from my understanding. Add a supercharger into the mix and an SC coyote based power plant is heavy where as an NA pushrod based Godzilla could be on the order of 100lbs lighter (given it be aluminum).

So yes an aluminum Godzilla based motor with electric assist could likely outperform the current 500.

Reactions: Ace

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
If there is a 6.8, bring on FI.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
TT, seeing the renders in the below thread, I agree, it certainly seemed that whomever posted those was very close to the project. Even though these are from 2018, the headlight design (or at least the light bar that goes across the entire front) seem to be very similar to what we're seeing in recently revealed models, i.e. EVOS, and new Fusion/Mondeo.

I bring this up because I wonder if the real thing will take inspiration from these renders more so than from the sculpture.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/7th-generation-mustang-s650-moved-to-2022.104738/page-14

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Apologies for the bump, but, a point of clarification from my last post: I've come to discover, as I'm sure many of you have already before me, that the renders at the end of the link I posted were from a design student for a project unrelated to Ford.

However, it is nevertheless very interesting that the EVOS has headlights very similar to on one of the gray supercar-like S650 renders/sculptures found in that link.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I know! He was right about the new c8 flat plane crank. Talked about how GM kept smashing rear windshields due to the vibrations. Apparently Ford also has a doc they wrote awhile back that states that the largest displacement FPC should be 5.2 liters, but GM is pushing it anyways. He was more of a GM guy that’s why he was lack luster over Ford stuff
ford was tooting their own horn when the gt350 launched technically the magic number is 4.5 liters and wink wink Porsche made a huge 3.0 4 cylinder for the 944, that was a technical tour de force. So 5.5 liters is 100 percent doable and we do know they’re using a traditional firing orders and intake manifold setup. The advantage to this is it’s a known quality, ferrari has been making traditional FPC engines for years. The gt350 was good attempt but ford never did get all the bugs out, plus it was a compromise because of space issues. Firing order was changed so the crank has to be heavier so then they couldn’t use two throttle bodies to help out with firing order pulses. I could make a list but the gt350 will be a one off engine that’ll stand the test of time