• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
They did a better job with the grille, but dropped the ball basically everywhere else.

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hm I hope there's some compelling powertrain options cuz the exterior is shaping up to be a moderate S550 refresh.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The most recent renders have all been very similar and that's because they're based on the leaked front end photo. All the renders look like the S550 from the A-pillar back, because they've got nothing/zero/zilch to base any changes on, because the camo has kept that hidden.

Of course, it may very well be identical in profile to the S550, or we could be in for some pleasant changes. I'm hoping for the latter.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Hm I hope there's some compelling powertrain options cuz the exterior is shaping up to be a moderate S550 refresh.
It's very hard to say. The rest of the design apparently differentiates itself from the s550. But time will tell.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The most recent renders have all been very similar and that's because they're based on the leaked front end photo. All the renders look like the S550 from the A-pillar back, because they've got nothing/zero/zilch to base any changes on, because the camo has kept that hidden.

Of course, it may very well be identical in profile to the S550, or we could be in for some pleasant changes. I'm hoping for the latter.
the front end is similar in all renders as you said due to leaks, but likely also some not so public leaks as well.

the rest looks like s550 due to extrapolations from hardpoints and guessing past the camo.

the “functional” side scoops are there because you can see that through the camo.

mid be shocked if Ford kept the entire roofline and rear quarter windows the same though - they are trying to market this as a new platform after all.

so far it’s looking like an s550/s197hybrid.
Hopefully ford managed to change up the window shapes,roofline and rear to throw off s550 vibes

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
the front end is similar in all renders as you said due to leaks, but likely also some not so public leaks as well.

the rest looks like s550 due to extrapolations from hardpoints and guessing past the camo.

the “functional” side scoops are there because you can see that through the camo.

mid be shocked if Ford kept the entire roofline and rear quarter windows the same though - they are trying to market this as a new platform after all.

Hopefully ford managed to change up the window shapes,roofline and rear to throw off s550 vibes
Yeah, it's really hard to tell, but it looks like the rear haunches may be more pronounced on the s650. I would also love a more radical fastback roofline similar to that Chinese sculpture we saw awhile back.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Yeah, it's really hard to tell, but it looks like the rear haunches may be more pronounced on the s650. I would also love a more radical fastback roofline similar to that Chinese sculpture we saw awhile back.
I'm in for both of these changes. Quite frankly, the only thing I'd really change about the S650 (from what we know) is the headlights. Specifically, I'd like headlight elements similar to S550, or something else entirely, but with only two main, larger low beam LEDs.

The current trend of moving towards more and more LEDs main elements in headlights (I'm looking at you, Acura), makes some modern cars look like they have bug eyes. The new Supra is a great a example of this. The general shape of the new Supra's headlights (like those of the S650) is very attractive. However, once you see the main three LED low beams stacked on top of the LED high beams, it very much gives it a bug eye look - which takes away from an otherwise pretty good looking car. To date, I don't think anyone has come out with replacement headlights for the new Supra to address this. I hope that's not the case with the S650.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I'm in for both of these changes. Quite frankly, the only thing I'd really change about the S650 (from what we know) is the headlights. Specifically, I'd like headlight elements similar to S550, or something else entirely, but with only two main, larger low beam LEDs.

The current trend of moving towards more and more LEDs main elements in headlights (I'm looking at you, Acura), makes some modern cars look like they have bug eyes. The new Supra is a great a example of this. The general shape of the new Supra's headlights (like those of the S650) is very attractive. However, once you see the main three LED low beams stacked on top of the LED high beams, it very much gives it a bug eye look - which takes away from an otherwise pretty good looking car. To date, I don't think anyone has come out with replacement headlights for the new Supra to address this. I hope that's not the case with the S650.
I agree, I'm kinda mixed on the new headlights myself. I don't despise them, but I don't love them. It may be polarizing, but I wouldn't mind seeing the head and taillight tri-bar elements being horizontal instead of vertical. Would look more futuristic imo,and would be kind of a nod to the 90s stangs.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I'm mostly hoping either the hood is a little longer or other changes are made to the body to fit a larger engine in the bay (something like a high performance version of the 7.3 or a Ford truck 6.8 liter V10 re-engineered to make ~100 hp/liter).

Otherwise IMO the S550 is attractive enough to me. I wouldn't object to body changes as long as they look good, but I'd be more likely to purchase something with functional improvements rather than just cosmetic changes. Based on a lot of Ford's past styling efforts, they got a little lucky with the original S550. They already kind of screwed it up in 2018. IMO the more major the changes the more likely it won't be as good looking.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I'm mostly hoping either the hood is a little longer or other changes are made to the body to fit a larger engine in the bay (something like a high performance version of the 7.3 or a Ford truck 6.8 liter V10 re-engineered to make ~100 hp/liter).

Otherwise IMO the S550 is attractive enough to me. I wouldn't object to body changes as long as they look good, but I'd be more likely to purchase something with functional improvements rather than just cosmetic changes. Based on a lot of Ford's past styling efforts, they got a little lucky with the original S550. They already kind of screwed it up in 2018. IMO the more major the changes the more likely it won't be as good looking.
I think that is because a facelift for an already established design rarely goes well.
The s550 was designed to look the way it did from the gate. When the art team went to change the front and rear fascia and lights to try to keep thinks fresh, they went for angles while the reminder of the exterior was made for curves. I still think the design worked, but it did not flow nearly as well as the original design.

with a “new” platform, the design team will execute well with a flowing design that matches from all angles. The challenge will be the facelifts in the future. However, with side scoops and a new quarter window treatment, there are more points to address in a facelift, allowing for the redesigns to flow better.

after those issues, it’s really just a matter of those who prefer angles vs those who who prefer curves. And then there will be the inevitable curve/angle mashup. That way everyone gets what they want - at different times.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think that is because a facelift for an already established design rarely goes well.
The s550 was designed to look the way it did from the gate. When the art team went to change the front and rear fascia and lights to try to keep thinks fresh, they went for angles while the reminder of the exterior was made for curves. I still think the design worked, but it did not flow nearly as well as the original design.

with a “new” platform, the design team will execute well with a flowing design that matches from all angles. The challenge will be the facelifts in the future. However, with side scoops and a new quarter window treatment, there are more points to address in a facelift, allowing for the redesigns to flow better.

after those issues, it’s really just a matter of those who prefer angles vs those who who prefer curves. And then there will be the inevitable curve/angle mashup. That way everyone gets what they want - at different times.
I was just thinking about the 1994 cars that IMO didn't look that great. And the refresh after that in 1999 wasn't very good looking. 2005 was pretty good at the time and I liked 2010. Well here I'm talking myself around to agreeing with you. The last 3 new designs were all decent in my opinion - 2005, 2010 and 2015 I liked them all when they came out. So maybe the new car will look great even if it changes a lot.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
The s550 was designed to look the way it did from the gate. When the art team went to change the front and rear fascia and lights to try to keep things fresh, they went for angles while the remainder of the exterior was made for curves. I still think the design worked, but it did not flow nearly as well as the original design.

after those issues, it’s just a matter of those who prefer angles vs those who prefer curves. And then there will be the inevitable curve/angle mashup. That way everyone gets what they want - at different times.
When the 2005 model was proposed, then Chairman Bill Ford said people want to buy a classic styled Mustang that only cost $20K. Now with the new 2024 Mustang the only things classic about it, will be a long hood; sloping windshield, and tri-bar taillights. Everything else will have a modern touch to it and will cost over $30K.
Sponsored