• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Most overpriced options...

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Ford, with a few exceptions on some of their trucks, has no shame when pricing options. I get it, you need to pay to play and I'm in general OK with total cost...but I really had to hold my nose checking a few of the boxes. This is not the place for a GT vs DH discussion. We have plenty of that.

So which box was hardest for you to check? I'm going with Active Exhaust. A close second has to be Nite Pony on a convertible. It has no roof to paint, no spoiler.
Sponsored

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
Ford, with a few exceptions on some of their trucks, has no shame when pricing options. I get it, you need to pay to play and I'm in general OK with total cost...but I really had to hold my nose checking a few of the boxes. This is not the place for a GT vs DH discussion. We have plenty of that.

So which box was hardest for you to check? I'm going with Active Exhaust. A close second has to be Nite Pony on a convertible. It has no roof to paint, no spoiler.
All honesty, as sexy as it looks, the Bronze appearance package, $1000 for wheel paint and some badges, at least NPP got the wing and headlights.

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
I have never heard a car without active exhaust but imo now that i have it, i wouldnt want to live without it. At under $1300 i would call that a steal!
Well said.

OP
OP

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I have never heard a car without active exhaust but imo now that i have it, i wouldnt want to live without it. At under $1300 i would call that a steal!
I know too much about what Ford pays for parts for my own good maybe.

I get it, I checked that box too.

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think Magneride could have been cheaper. I think Recaros, colored calipers and active exhaust are correctly priced. I almost picked colored seatbelts but held myself back. It should be half of what they charge for it.

OP
OP

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
To me, it's the 401A package. There is not a feature in that package that I want. I would not take it if it were 1$.
This is not a diss. I know many people like the sound system, security package and co-pilot 360 (whatever that is). It's just not for me.
A close second is the California Special package. Because I don't want it.

Of the things I wanted for my car, I think Magneride could have been cheaper. I think Recaros, colored calipers and active exhaust are correctly priced. I almost picked colored seatbelts but held myself back. It should be half of what they charge for it.
I forgot about my red calipers. Now, red paint is more expensive than black... probably $1.75 more.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
AE and NP were well worth it. The $3K 401A was tough to check though glad i did.

I did skip the PP box, for my taste, basically $5K for a spoiler and wheels that I did not like as much as NP

NeedFor6Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Prem AtlsBlu/SpceGry/6Spd/401A/PP/ActvExhst
Recaros are the biggest rip; $1700 for a seat "upgrade" that removes power, memory, heating and cooling, lumbar and is arguably less comfortable. A credit should be offered on cars that are going to lose all those features. They do look cool, but a track-oriented seat should be in alcantara or at least have suede inserts for better grip. As always, to each his own, and we're all going to have arguments for what options are "worth it" or not. Magneride for the same price is a better value IMO. I didn't choose either, but that's me. I think $1200 for Active Exhaust is the best deal, and probably should be included in PP, but it's cool that it's available a la carte.

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
I don't want to know the factory costs of AE (ignorance is bliss), as I'm sure all those options are mostly profit; no surprise there. I would say that given my reluctance to modify my car, the AE is an acceptable price, same with the nite pony given the costs of paint or wrap. I would agree that the 401A pack is a bit steep.

Last edited:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I work in the automotive aftermarket…. You don’t want to know the cost of the aftermarket stuff either lol

OP
OP

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
AE and NP were well worth it. The $3K 401A was tough to check though glad i did.

I did skip the PP box, for my taste, basically $5K for a spoiler and wheels that I did not like as much as NP
I agree in a way, from a market pricing perspective they are in line but I was thinking more in terms of where they fall from a cost-plus standpoint. What options likely have the biggest margins.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I agree in a way, from a market pricing perspective they are in line but I was thinking more in terms of where they fall from a cost-plus standpoint. What options likely have the biggest margins.
Margins for the manufacturer? Difficult to determine as each option has a different cost basis, they probably make the most on some of the least expected options. Eg: Fast food chains largest margins on the beverages.

On my order there were a few pricey options I needed, and a few I could not justify the cost. Obviously I would love to get anything these days at a lower cost. All said and done I am 100% satisfied with what I received and consider it a hell of car for $50K compared to vehicles at that price point.

OP
OP

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm not sure who else's margins we'd be talking about...yes, the manufacturer's. And yes, of course you do need to know cost to calculate margins, but it isn't that difficult to estimate.

What I see a lot if people doing to rationalize is to think about the cost of wheels, swy bars, seats or whatever but not subtracting the standard component cost. A $3500 set of tires and wheels that you pay a bit over that for is fine as long as you ignore that you are also "trading in" a $2300 set.

Jdio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 gt pp 2018 gt350 2003 cobra
All honesty, as sexy as it looks, the Bronze appearance package, $1000 for wheel paint and some badges, at least NPP got the wing and headlights.
bronze package saved me 2k! i was going to put bronze wheels on it regardless! its the only way to beat the orange brake dust from brembos!!!
Sponsored