• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Main Street media

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Has anyone noticed the mainstream media (not car magazines or bloggers) hasn't mentioned the new S650 since its introduction in September?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I can think of a few reasons for lack of ads on TV:

1. The car is not yet available. You can't walk in and see it. Ford has not announced pricing, changed its web site or produced an Order Guide.

2. Advertising has changed over time. Before YouTube and all other media platforms, you paid to have a commercial show. Now, you make your own commercial and post it on-line, for free.

3. While we love Mustangs, people primarily buy SUVs, vans and trucks. Performance-oriented vehicles of any kind don't sell a lot of numbers. I haven't seen a Mustang, 911, Corvette, Camaro, M-type, etc., commercial in ages. Dodge had some good campaigns. Audi, Toyota, Lexus and a few others, occasionally.

4. Not to derail the thread, but the next generation is looking more towards hybrids, EVs, self-driving, always connected cars. I continue to be taken-aback while at stop lights. Almost everyone immediately starts F-ing with their phones, all the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can think of a few reasons for lack of ads on TV:

1. The car is not yet available. You can't walk in and see it. Ford has not announced pricing, changed its web site or produced an Order Guide.

2. Advertising has changed over time. Before YouTube and all other media platforms, you paid to have a commercial show. Now, you make your own commercial and post it on-line, for free.

3. While we love Mustangs, people primarily buy SUVs, vans and trucks. Performance-oriented vehicles of any kind don't sell a lot of numbers. I haven't seen a Mustang, 911, Corvette, Camaro, M-type, etc., commercial in ages. Dodge had some good campaigns. Audi, Toyota, Lexus and a few others, occasionally.

4. Not to derail the thread, but the next generation is looking more towards hybrids, EVs, self-driving, always connected cars. Look at the latest Cadillac commercials: it's all about style and the "experience".
I wasn't referring to ads in my post but to the news media. To them, it's just another car. Motor Trend's main headline talks about the Alpha Romeo Tonale-derived Jeep Compass, not American sports cars.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I can appreciate your concerns, but it generally comes down to the points above.

To the Alfa in-particular, it's: 1) available in May, 2) an SUV, 3) a hybrid/EV (or offers those options). Plus, like supermarkets and other shops, MotorTrend and other platforms receive something for their efforts, directly or indirectly. IMO.

Hopefully, as production comes closer, we'll begin seeing more and more of the S650.

Consider looking at it like this: the lack of exposure will allow those buying to come in at the best price possible, versus a heavy campaign highlighting how great a car it is, driving (no pun intended) still more into the showroom.

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I think the mainstream media outlets have better (or worse, depending on your point of view) things to talk about than a new vehicle model. That is why we have our forums to talk about the truly important stuff here! The S650 Mustang catches our eyeballs and attention, but not so much elsewhere.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The "mainstream media" will be out in force when the 1st Mustang's start hitting dealer showrooms. There is nothing to report right now.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition
Jimmy Fallon was, also, on Ford's YouTube channel with Jum Farley promoting the new Mustang. He was compensated.
I doubt he was compensated personally. He does promotions like that for other products (as do all show hosts like that). His network was, and doing those promos are most likely part of his contract.

Also there still are a few other articles about the Mustang from other outlets. You just didn't notice them or weren't looking hard enough.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt he was compensated personally. He does promotions like that for other products (as do all show hosts like that). His network was, and doing those promos are most likely part of his contract.

Also there still are a few other articles about the Mustang from other outlets. You just didn't notice them or weren't looking hard enough.
..."His network was, and doing those promos are most likely part of his contract"... That's considered compensation.

I have just Google'd it. Since January, only car-related media and Ford are covering the new Mustang. No main stream media has been.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Has anyone noticed the mainstream media (not car magazines or bloggers) hasn't mentioned the new S650 since its introduction in September?
The truth is, there hasn't been much to discuss other than the hearsay (which might or might not be credible) we read on this forum or see on the YouTube channels of enthusiasts.

Ford, to its credit, has been *EXTREMELY* tight lipped with the S650 launch.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
The truth is, there hasn't been much to discuss other than the hearsay (which might or might not be credible) we read on this forum or see on the YouTube channels of enthusiasts.

Ford, to its credit, has been *EXTREMELY* tight lipped with the S650 launch.
Definitely agree with you but I also have to sarcastically say, maybe Ford has been a bit preoccupied with the number of new recalls they have been issuing across the lineup; so too busy to talk about the next mustang. šŸ¤£

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Definitely agree with you but I also have to sarcastically say, maybe Ford has been a bit preoccupied with the number of new recalls they have been issuing across the lineup; so too busy to talk about the next mustang. šŸ¤£
For sure, lol...

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
The "mainstream media" will be out in force when the 1st Mustang's start hitting dealer showrooms. There is nothing to report right now.
correction, when Ford PR/media-relations faxes everybody their talking points, THEN the media will mindlessly repeat the platitudes without questioning any of assertions contained therein.

This is how 'News' is done.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
Sadly, I predict less fanfare than we have seen in a very long while.
Sponsored