• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
👍You have good eyesight...it actually it looks like an air intake... but it’s so far back!
front engine, mid engine… and now what ? a rear engine mustang 😆
Hence why I'm so confused. I'm no engineer/mechanic, but maybe that intake could channel high pressure air backwards into an engine compartment or something? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but I don't know what else that would be for. It's too far back to cool the brakes. It doesn't appear to be an areo pass thru.

It can't be a stylistic choice, considering it doesn't look as attractive as a naked s650 decklid. It's not a choice made to save costs, they would have left the decklid stock to save on tooling costs if that was the case.

It has crossed my mind that these images could be AI generated. Putting an air intake on the trunk lid is something an AI would do. They get most details right, but then screw up somewhere. Most people don't know this, but you could also ask an AI to show you something from multiple angles as well.

I just don't know man, it's a very odd design choice for sure.
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Imma just call it now since so many people seemed convinced this is somehow the mid engine car: this is the street gt3 car Jim Farley hinted at back in March.

wd-230320-02071-641b69fe54103.jpeg

It has pretty identical panels to the gt3 we have tons of pictures of already. This is not the mid engine car, it's just a gt3 for the road. No idea why they would spend all that money to develop and test two separate engine configs when they already have a working model in their race car. Plus the whole "GTD" name.

The mid engine car will have a whole different chassis more similar to the GT supercar. Cost will depend on if Ford is building it or if multimatic is building it. If Ford is building it, I can see it costing around $100k for a cheap one or multiple hundreds of thousands if they want to make it as special and exclusive as the GT. I'm hoping it's a c8 competitor in the $90-100k range. Anything lower would absolutely kill dark horse sales and I don't think Ford wants that.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
I'll be real, I want to hold out hope that there's a seperated mid-engine model, but I just don't know man. Comments from the dealer meeting mentioning a mustang model that wasn't s650 based, Ford saying supercar performance, and saying in a teaser it was a mustang reinvented rather than evolved, all that makes me think mid-engine. It's very odd for people from the dealership meeting to make that up, especially considering they would gain nothing from fabricating such a rumor.

But at the same time, if there was a mustang mid-engine model, I have to wonder why no-one snapped a pic. I'll be real, this car is cool, but I feel like we've kinda getting shafted from both ends. The GTD will likely be well into the 6 figures (300-400k) and very low volume. But it's also "just" an s650. So it's neither a cool mid-engine car, nor a relatively affordable gt350 successor.

I don't know why Ford went thru the effort of acquiring a preproduction zo6 directly from GM if the car they're benchmarking it against is some 300k mustang that they're gonna sell like 50 of. Testing multiple c8s in different trims seems like an odd choice if they're never gonna even bother competing. Generally you only bother to benchmark something if you're planning to make a product that's very similar, benchmarking two radically different vehicles isn't very effective. But I guess Ford has looked at all the billions GM is making from the c8 and decided it doesn't want money.

Last edited:

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
a mustang model that wasn't s650 based
I mean that says it all right there. The GTD is clearly S650 based.

My only question is who will make the mid engine car, Ford or multimatic? We'll find out tomorrow.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I mean that says it all right there. The GTD is clearly S650 based.

My only question is who will make the mid engine car, Ford or multimatic? We'll find out tomorrow.
At this point, maybe that person made it up just to fuck with us. There's literally nothing to be gained by doing that. But lots of people are assholes for the sake of it.

If they are telling the truth, maybe the GTD will be made by one company, and the mid-engine mustang by another.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
At this point, maybe that person made it up just to fuck with us. There's literally nothing to be gained by doing that. But lots of people are assholes for the sake of it.

If they are telling the truth, maybe the GTD will be made by one company, and the mid-engine mustang by another.
Or there is no mid-engine car and we are going to only see a GTD (think Porsche GT3) Mustang. It will be cool to see especially if they manage to keep the cost down somehow though if it's using the 5.4L Coyote that is going to be one hell of an expensive car. And then there is the big question will it be cheaper than a GT3 or not and will it be close in performance. My best educated guess is no to both questions. Which effectively rule out the car. But it will be cool to own a street Mustang GT3.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
Hence why I'm so confused. I'm no engineer/mechanic, but maybe that intake could channel high pressure air backwards into an engine compartment or something? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but I don't know what else that would be for. It's too far back to cool the brakes. It doesn't appear to be an areo pass thru.

It can't be a stylistic choice, considering it doesn't look as attractive as a naked s650 decklid. It's not a choice made to save costs, they would have left the decklid stock to save on tooling costs if that was the case.

It has crossed my mind that these images could be AI generated. Putting an air intake on the trunk lid is something an AI would do. They get most details right, but then screw up somewhere. Most people don't know this, but you could also ask an AI to show you something from multiple angles as well.

I just don't know man, it's a very odd design choice for sure.
Transaxle cooler?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
Could this perhaps be housing the 7.3 liter that was being talked about in the early stages of the S650 rumours?

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Could this perhaps be housing the 7.3 liter that was being talked about in the early stages of the S650 rumours?
No way, it is too heavy. This is the street gt3, and the race one was all for light weight. I would expect a version of the race v8

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
If it’s gonna be a supercar more likely than not I’d take and hybridize the ford gt. Holy cannoli Batman! Imo: That would be a supercar worth concealing. Get everyone stirred up with a street version/render of a track car and slip one (something else entirely-what was it - not progression, it’s reinvention - soul of a mustang) in real nice and quiet?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I'll say this, they nailed the design. It looks absolutely incredible. I'm guessing the camouflaged prototypes we saw awhile ago are something else entirely, as they didn't have this massive wing. Wasn't what I was hoping for, but it's still a cool car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.