• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is MotorTrend right about the new S650?

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
The S650 appears to be a good looking car and so was the S550 pre the facelift. I just don’t know what happened to the design department with the 2018 facelift S550 cars!
I read somewhere that Ford had a lot of criticism from market research groups on the S550 facelift and that’s why didn’t adopt it on the Shelbys and they moved away from it on the S650, it looks more pre facelift.
I don't have a problem with the facelifted S550. I DO think the front design of the Dark Horse and the EcoBoost are the cleanest. The side inlets on the GT just look weird with that chunk of plastic around them.

2024-mustang-gt-white-bronze-wheels-1.jpg
Sponsored

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package

Their new review of the Mustang.

- Design is a step backwards and sideways (agree)
- Mustangs looked cool and this one doesn't (disagree)
- Ugly grill (disagree)
- Ugly nostrills like a Ram pick-up truck (disagree)
- Weird headlights with 3 bulbs (agree)
- Side looks good (agree)
- From the B-pillar back looks like Camaro (agree)
- Weird boomerang taillights (agree)
- Quad tips cool (agree)
- Diffusor cool (agree)

Overall, missed opportunity for Ford (agree)

Don't get me wrong, I like the new Mustang, but it is a missed opportunity and I hear it from many others. It could have been so much better.

The tail lights are still a thing for me that I can't get used of, especially because I was in love with the S550 tail lights.

The front looked weird in the beginning, but I still kinda like it, except for the 3 bulbs.

What do you guys think? Did the reviewer got paid to like the Dodge, is he a Dodge fan? Or is he just right about the new design of the Mustang?

I think he made some good points.
Motor Trend just came out with a mixed review of the 2024 Mustang GT Vert. The suspension doesn't like "streets with imperfections" Beside the LED screens, the rest of the interior tries to look modern but fails.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Motor Trend just came out with a mixed review of the 2024 Mustang GT Vert. The suspension doesn't like "streets with imperfections" Beside the LED screens, the rest of the interior tries to look modern but fails.

I can see that. If they had just changed the door cards and center console, that would have went a long way to create a more modern interior. It's hard to see "new generation" when those are nearly identical to my 2020.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Sad that this might be the last new pony car comparison...ever.And what ever these presstitutes say I think Lieberman got most of it right...The Mustang 650 looks better than the '18-on 550 But the front still does not look right.Especially the kink where the fender and hood meet the headlights down from the tall beltline above the wheel wells...Too tall ! And laclk of Torque acerbated by the overly tall gearing that you dont come out of third...No trackcar and no cruiser.All valid points.Also the Challenger WB which should have had the manual and no A/S tires and the understeer would have been cured on a hot day in Willow Springs...Also it would have been cool if SS1LE,C7 and M2 would have been included and Randy Pobst doing a few hot laps and some comments...But as it was Jonny was mostly right except as big as he is he would have hated the Recaros and the Challenger has real C/F inside and the WB-392 was not introduced in 2010 but 2018 for the 2019 model year...I testdrove Both S650 and Challenger-WB with a 6-speed and ended up with the Dodge before the video came out...LOL

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Sad that this might be the last new pony car comparison...ever.And what ever these presstitutes say I think Lieberman got most of it right...The Mustang 650 looks better than the '18-on 550 But the front still does not look right.Especially the kink where the fender and hood meet the headlights down from the tall beltline above the wheel wells...Too tall ! And laclk of Torque acerbated by the overly tall gearing that you dont come out of third...No trackcar and no cruiser.All valid points.Also the Challenger WB which should have had the manual and no A/S tires and the understeer would have been cured on a hot day in Willow Springs...Also it would have been cool if SS1LE,C7 and M2 would have been included and Randy Pobst doing a few hot laps and some comments...But as it was Jonny was mostly right except as big as he is he would have hated the Recaros and the Challenger has real C/F inside and the WB-392 was not introduced in 2010 but 2018 for the 2019 model year...I testdrove Both S650 and Challenger-WB with a 6-speed and ended up with the Dodge before the video came out...LOL
All subjectiove opinion.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks of course therefore I never argue about looks or colors But you have to admit that the Challenger WB is One of the best looking cars ever made....As for driving Fun low rpm Torque rules because it gives you the instant push in the back lower displacement , taller geared ,highrer revving engines lack...Thats probably why Jonny would have bought the Challenger as I surely did as I did not care at all if it was a Chevy,Ford or Mopar...No fanboy here ! As long as it has a V8 with a manual its all good...LOL

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
No I think challengers look like a fat wife that eats Doritos and drinks Mountain Dew all day.

the Mustang is far sexier
Original or cool ranch?

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
I can see that. If they had just changed the door cards and center console, that would have went a long way to create a more modern interior. It's hard to see "new generation" when those are nearly identical to my 2020.
The "new generation" term came from Ford's marketing department trying to put new lipstick on a old pig.

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
Oh my god they said it was all new & it's not!:crying::crying: Everyone should be glad to even have the Mustang still available with an ICE & manual if you want it! I've said this b4 I much prefer the S650 vs the S550 Fusion design. Anyone here remember when people were freaking out about the S550 looking like a Fusion. This is the reason I never considered an S550. JMO! Now opinions are like well you know!

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Looks of course therefore I never argue about looks or colors But you have to admit that the Challenger WB is One of the best looking cars ever made....
Compared to other Dodge designs maybe.
Screenshot_20240420-100926_Chrome.jpg

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
But you have to admit that the Challenger WB is One of the best looking cars ever made....
Yes, I can. Most of the best looking cars ever designed were produced in the late 40's through the early 70s. Modern vehicles aren't even in the same class.

Mopar? Give me a 60's era GTX, RoadRunner, or Charger all day!

Reactions: Zig

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you look at the originals like a 69 Mach 1 , 70 Camaro Z/28 or 70 Challenger R/T which were the high water marks of pony/muscle cars and you looks at the last Camaro (yuk) or the S650 which is not a bad looking car (except for the front which looks nothing like a Mustang) and the Challenger WB...Easy choice as the Challenger is one of the best retro designs period ! I think it is better looking than the original ! The interior is nice too with the perfect mixture between old and new if you spend extra for the technology and carbon/suede package...Not to forget the 392 in connection with the 3.90 if you opt for the Tremec 6060 has a Huge wave of Torque right off the bottom which makes it so much fun...And the widebody with 305's squared , stiffer springs , bigger sway bars than Hellcats despite having 200 lbs over the front and adjustable Bilsteins / big 6 piston Brembos make the car even fun in the handling department...Nothing like clumsy Hellcats or skinny tired narrow bodies ! Wonder if JOnny had A/S Pirellis on his Shakedown as I feel no understeer on mine with 3 season P Zeros...
Sponsored