• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I am scared. What the hell is this sound?

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
No clue, I would never take my car to the dealer for something like this.
I’m not trying to let my car sit there until they get to it.
And again, driving it could actually cause real damage and cost you more money, pull the wheel and caliper and then look for the interference/witness mark.
Sponsored

Martin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT W/PP
No clue, I would never take my car to the dealer for something like this.
I’m not trying to let my car sit there until they get to it.
And again, driving it could actually cause real damage and cost you more money, pull the wheel and caliper and then look for the interference/witness mark.
Not everyone knows how to work on a car! No need to be a smart ass!

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
No one can tell you if it will be covered because no one knows what is wrong with it.
Looks like there is some sort of film or rust on your rotors. Did you recently wash the car?

Sometimes brakes squeak when they need to clear off the surface rust from the rotors. I normally lose that sound after a couple of regular braking events.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
Personally I would pull the wheel off and go from there but if you aren't comfortable doing that or don't have a friend that is I would call the service department of your dealer.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Im thinking to have the dealership deal with it. Will this be covered by Ford?

Not if its road debris stuck between the rotor and dust shield. If something is broken then probably. However, brakes, clutch and other items are considered wearable items and sometimes isn't covered. Since there is such few miles/kilometers on the vehicle they will probably take care of you as long as its not road debris/rocks.

I would do what Duke said, I would jack up the vehicle and pull the wheels off and inspect. Its hard to tell from the video if its coming from the front or rear.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The small dark spots on the rotor interest me. Normally on the rotor, the color is silver with very faint lines. The picture, it's Leopard-like, across the face.

Is the car pulling to one side? Does the car seem to be being held back? Any smells, burnt?

I have wide range of ideas of what it could be. If you're able to, pulling the wheel for a good visual and attempting to turn the rotor by hand should quickly identify the problem area.

FWIW, being brakes, the mechanicals and fixes should be simple. Unless there's a piece of road debris stuck somewhere, IMO, Ford should cover all costs, as part of the warranty. As others have noted, while brakes (pads) and whatnot can be considered consumables, the car is all but brand new.

When you have time, please let us know what you find out. Thanks.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Definitely more than just squeaky brakes. As others have mentioned I bet there is something jammed in the caliper causing this insane rubbing. Take the wheel off so you can get a better view of the caliper and rotor. You may find the culprit without doing anything further if you're lucky.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I tried going under the car and checked behind the rotors as far as my hand could reach. I didnt see anything out of place and did not feel anything rubbing against the rotors. I tried going for a drive and didnt hear the noise but it did come and go for a second.

Also, I noticed these scratches on the rear left rotor. I dont see these kinds of scratches on the other three rotors. Something to do with the noise? What can it be?

1.jpg
Now that the sound has stopped has the stain gone away?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I noticed these scratches on the rear left rotor. I dont see these kinds of scratches on the other three rotors.
Sorry. I oriented myself better. Left rear. My so-called Leopard spots.

The 2024s have an electronic brake now, yes? Drift brake. E-brake. Electronic parking brake. I wonder if that is sticking. That could explain the spots and noise. And no smell and no pulling (being behind the cabin and rear wheels).

OP
OP
TheRuthlessObliterator

TheRuthlessObliterator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
The small dark spots on the rotor interest me. Normally on the rotor, the color is silver with very faint lines. The picture, it's Leopard-like, across the face.

Is the car pulling to one side? Does the car seem to be being held back? Any smells, burnt?

I have wide range of ideas of what it could be. If you're able to, pulling the wheel for a good visual and attempting to turn the rotor by hand should quickly identify the problem area.

FWIW, being brakes, the mechanicals and fixes should be simple. Unless there's a piece of road debris stuck somewhere, IMO, Ford should cover all costs, as part of the warranty. As others have noted, while brakes (pads) and whatnot can be considered consumables, the car is all but brand new.

When you have time, please let us know what you find out. Thanks.
Sorry. I oriented myself better. Left rear. My so-called Leopard spots.

The 2024s have an electronic brake now, yes? Drift brake. E-brake. Electronic parking brake. I wonder if that is sticking. That could explain the spots and noise. And no smell and no pulling (being behind the cabin and rear wheels).

I found that weird too. I have driven a manual for so many years that it became muscle memory of pulling the handbreak everytime I park. I dont feel the car pulling to one side nor I see any burt smells.

I had my local mechanic jack up the car, rotate the wheel (didnt take the wheel off) and check for debris but did find anything. We tried driving back and forth and slammed on the brakes and hear a metal clinking noise everytime from the rear bermbos. He said it might be the metal clip holding the pads rubbing against the rotors but he wasnt sure. He didnt want to touch the car because it was still under warranty.

Now that the sound has stopped has the stain gone away?
Lol, obviously not. I booked in a service appointment at the dealership on Monday. I'm gonna see what they have to say.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Wow sounds like a rock got in there but if it’s continuing seems like maybe a clip is rubbing from the pad. If it hasn’t gone away take it to the dealer. I definitely had a noise similar but it was a rock and i heard it come loose and never happen again on an older car.

stevev201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Perfomance GT. 2023 Silverado ZR2
We have had that noise and issue on several cars in our shop. It is most likely , or was a small rock. They tens to get caught in the brakes, on the back side of the brake rotor between the rotor and the tin splash plate behind the rotor. Many times you can move the car back and forth a few feet and the rocking motion will pop the rock out. If not reach up behind the rotor and in between the tin shield with a screw driver and lightly flex the tin shield out a bit. If the rock is still in there it will fall out the bottom. It sure could also be a pc. of the brake system that's come loose, but that noise isn't going to go away. A rock in there won't really hurt anything as the metal of the rotor which is what you hear making that noise, is harder than the rock is.

OP
OP
TheRuthlessObliterator

TheRuthlessObliterator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
We have had that noise and issue on several cars in our shop. It is most likely , or was a small rock. They tens to get caught in the brakes, on the back side of the brake rotor between the rotor and the tin splash plate behind the rotor. Many times you can move the car back and forth a few feet and the rocking motion will pop the rock out. If not reach up behind the rotor and in between the tin shield with a screw driver and lightly flex the tin shield out a bit. If the rock is still in there it will fall out the bottom. It sure could also be a pc. of the brake system that's come loose, but that noise isn't going to go away. A rock in there won't really hurt anything as the metal of the rotor which is what you hear making that noise, is harder than the rock is.
Thank you for the info!
What’s a pc. of the brake system? The noise is gone now.
Do you know anything about the black spots that you see on the rotor? What’s the cause of those marks? It’s generally a series of circles, right?
Sponsored