• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Has anyone else gotten this warning?

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Yea, there is no excuse. It should be on switched power. I'm going to have to set a reminder on my phone every night to make sure my dash cam is manually turned off. Pathetic.
I'm not sure it should be switched power. For a dashcam with parking mode, you need constant power. Better on the mirror than hardwiring it yourself.

But...I haven't installed mine yet. Parking mode might require separate wires anyway? Hope not. But not sure how it would know when it's parked otherwise.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I'm not sure it should be switched power. For a dashcam with parking mode, you need constant power. Better on the mirror than hardwiring it yourself.

But...I haven't installed mine yet. Parking mode might require separate wires anyway? Hope not. But not sure how it would know when it's parked otherwise.
Four words in the user manual would resolve the issue.

tbh itā€™s really not new, they just moved it due to perceived customer demand. For some reason I want to say the in dash cigarette lighter (push coil) circuit was also ā€˜liveā€™ at all times.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Four words in the user manual would resolve the issue.

tbh itā€™s really not new, they just moved it due to perceived customer demand. For some reason I want to say the in dash cigarette lighter (push coil) circuit was also ā€˜liveā€™ at all times.
My explorer, and every other Ford I've seen, has live 12V power at all times in the cigarette lighter.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I used to get that same message on my 2020 GT500 and 2021 Mach1 regular if it wasn't driven for a few days

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Update: After playing with this for a couple days now I have identified the only way to completely cut power from the rearview mirror USB to the dash cam is turn the camera off / stop recording manually when you park and also lock the doors and wait a while as well. If you don't lock the doors the dash cam keeps getting supplied with power regardless if it is powered on and recording or not. If you lock the doors but the camera is still active it will continue to stay active and continue to draw power. So the only thing to get the charge light to turn off on the dash cam was to power the dash cam down / stop recording and also lock the doors and then wait a while. This seems intentional and I can see why they would do it this way but I would rather have a dash cam that goes to sleep after an adjustable amount of minutes of the car not moving or something so I don't have to worry about draw on the battery so much. My dash cam doesn't have such a feature even though it was highly reviewed. I have a "motion detection" feature than may also turn the camera off randomly while you are driving. Can't have that.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Iā€™m doing some testing right now with my phone plugged in to the rear view mirror. 2 of the 3 times I tried it the phone kept charging even after accessory / switched power was lost to everything else. I verified this by plugging into the USB port below the AC vents as well after accessory / switched power was gone. After accessory / switched power was gone the USB ports below the AC vents wouldnā€™t charge but the USB port attached to the rear view mirror still would charge 2 of the 3 times I tried it. So the car was most likely still running the dash cam overnight and draining the battery down. It's just odd that it didn't switch that USB port off 2 of the 3 times I tried it. Seems like it would switch it off all the time or none of the time. Now I have to try and remember to turn my dash cam off every time I park. Just wonderful. I was hoping to blame the dash cam somehow but it looks like Ford is to blame unfortunately.
It says it will do that if it has sat for a few hours without being driven. I only drove mine once in the last few days. Of course I havenā€™t checked my phone lately where ford pass is. I always use iPad where I can see better. Usually check my phone every couple2-3 days to see if it needs charged. Lol

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: After playing with this for a couple days now I have identified the only way to completely cut power from the rearview mirror USB to the dash cam is turn the camera off / stop recording manually when you park and also lock the doors and wait a while as well. If you don't lock the doors the dash cam keeps getting supplied with power regardless if it is powered on and recording or not. If you lock the doors but the camera is still active it will continue to stay active and continue to draw power. So the only thing to get the charge light to turn off on the dash cam was to power the dash cam down / stop recording and also lock the doors and then wait a while. This seems intentional and I can see why they would do it this way but I would rather have a dash cam that goes to sleep after an adjustable amount of minutes of the car not moving or something so I don't have to worry about draw on the battery so much. My dash cam doesn't have such a feature even though it was highly reviewed. I have a "motion detection" feature than may also turn the camera off randomly while you are driving. Can't have that.
Which dashcam? I went with the Vantrue N4 pro, and haven't installed it yet, but looking forward to it after the tint is installed. Kind of hoping and thinking it can shut down automatically when parked.

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which dashcam? I went with the Vantrue N4 pro, and haven't installed it yet, but looking forward to it after the tint is installed. Kind of hoping and thinking it can shut down automatically when parked.
I have got this thing. I tested it with motion detection turned on today and when I went out to the car a couple hours after I parked the dash cam wasn't charging or anything even with leaving the car unlocked. So that is a win for now but there is a warning it might stop recording while you are driving if you have motion detection turned on though. I would probably have to pull video every day for a couple days and watch it back to see if I'm losing any part of my drive but that seems like too much work for testing purposes. I bought it because it had pretty good reviews, the cabin camera was built in and it had good resolution for a regular USB type dash cam. It's also nearly impossible to pull the videos from the camera to my phone. It is so bad that really I would have to buy some kind of micro sd card adapter for my phone, and remove the sd card from the camera to pull videos which is another thumbs down. I would recommend looking at the reviews of the app that goes with the camera before purchasing anything. My camera had decent ratings on Amazon but the app had terrible ratings and it shows. Probably going to return it if tech support can't help with the video offloading situation. Let me know if you like yours.

S650 Mustang Has anyone else gotten this warning? 1694578814681

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have got this thing. I tested it with motion detection turned on today and when I went out to the car a couple hours after I parked the dash cam wasn't charging or anything even with leaving the car unlocked. So that is a win for now but there is a warning it might stop recording while you are driving if you have motion detection turned on though. I would probably have to pull video every day for a couple days and watch it back to see if I'm losing any part of my drive but that seems like too much work for testing purposes. I bought it because it had pretty good reviews, the cabin camera was built in and it had good resolution for a regular USB type dash cam. It's also nearly impossible to pull the videos from the camera to my phone. It is so bad that really I would have to buy some kind of micro sd card adapter for my phone, and remove the sd card from the camera to pull videos which is another thumbs down. I would recommend looking at the reviews of the app that goes with the camera before purchasing anything. My camera had decent ratings on Amazon but the app had terrible ratings and it shows. Probably going to return it if tech support can't help with the video offloading situation. Let me know if you like yours.

1694578814681.png
Very helpful, thank you. I'll let you know what I find.

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
I would separate the two issues. Leave the camera as is just as you were doing before and LOCK the doors. My car is in the garage and I never locked the doors. I researched the issue on 6G and discovered that locking the doors solved the problem.

I would isolate what you are trying and do things 1 step at a time. Iā€™m not sure about the camera but 100% you will get the Battery message if you leave the car unlocked, camera or not.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
@ThreePedalPlow @marcekb
Did yā€™all end up installing the dash cam? Curious if I should go with the USB or fuse mount option. My camera has parking mode so I would want power while parked.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ThreePedalPlow @marcekb
Did yā€™all end up installing the dash cam? Curious if I should go with the USB or fuse mount option. My camera has parking mode so I would want power while parked.
I did. And my camera has parking mode too, but I used the mirror USB, so it turns off power at some point. However, it keeps the parking mode running for quite a while. Maybe it runs off of a battery in the camera. Not sure.

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ThreePedalPlow @marcekb
I installed a dash cam powering it off the USB. The only problem I ran into was it wouldn't turn off with the car all the time even after the car had been off for hours. I was going to return the camera even though it was more of a car issue after I tested the port with my phone charger but as a last ditch effort I eventually set the dash cam to use motion detection and it has been fine ever since. There is a warning that using the feature may cause the dash cam to stop recording but that has never happened and it still keeps recording for a while after I'm parked.
Sponsored