• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Has anyone else gotten this warning?

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
I have a dash cam installed to the USB port in the rear view mirror. I’m not sure if that port is on switched power or not. Wondering if I need to unplug the thing every time I get out of the car. This is the first time I’ve gotten the warning. I’ve had the dash cam about a week. I had a faraday pouch in my pocket next to the key when I got the warning if that matters. The spare is always in a faraday pouch. I’ve been driving the car almost every day.

S650 Mustang Has anyone else gotten this warning? IMG_1833
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Almost everyday how many miles / runtime each trip?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
That happened on another thread not too long ago. Your car battery is getting low and you either need an extended drive or put a battery charger on it. If you don't have many miles on it, this could be because it sat for a while before it was delivered to you. If you're using it regularly, you may have a battery charging problem.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
I have a dash cam installed to the USB port in the rear view mirror. I’m not sure if that port is on switched power or not. Wondering if I need to unplug the thing every time I get out of the car. This is the first time I’ve gotten the warning. I’ve had the dash cam about a week. I had a faraday pouch in my pocket next to the key when I got the warning if that matters. The spare is always in a faraday pouch. I’ve been driving the car almost every day.

IMG_1833.jpeg
Yes only if I haven’t driven The car for a day or two. I have gotten it,one time. As soon as you get in the car and start it, it’s fine. They are keeping things shut down to preserve the life of the battery

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m doing some testing right now with my phone plugged in to the rear view mirror. 2 of the 3 times I tried it the phone kept charging even after accessory / switched power was lost to everything else. I verified this by plugging into the USB port below the AC vents as well after accessory / switched power was gone. After accessory / switched power was gone the USB ports below the AC vents wouldn’t charge but the USB port attached to the rear view mirror still would charge 2 of the 3 times I tried it. So the car was most likely still running the dash cam overnight and draining the battery down. It's just odd that it didn't switch that USB port off 2 of the 3 times I tried it. Seems like it would switch it off all the time or none of the time. Now I have to try and remember to turn my dash cam off every time I park. Just wonderful. I was hoping to blame the dash cam somehow but it looks like Ford is to blame unfortunately.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
some testing right now with my phone
Potentially an inconsistent variable. The phone may be using some of its own power management features. If battery is beyond a specific level it may not charge, etc.

A full time powered port is good to know about specifically for the reason you have discovered.

I would suspect, until a possible patch is issued, it may be best to consider that port hot at all times?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Page 308:

BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM LIMITATIONS
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time, your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition switched off.

Note: Prior to relearning the battery state of charge, the battery management system could temporarily disable some electrical systems.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
I’ve received that notification twice in the eight days I’ve had my car. Both times the car had been parked only around 12 hours, which I found very strange. Both instances were after drives of close to thirty minutes, so it wasn’t a matter of multiple short drives. My F250 has given me that message before, but it is only if it has sat without starting for more than a week. Given the experience with my truck, the Mustang deactivating after 12 hours doesn’t seem right. It’s not a huge deal for me, but I will have the dealer check it out if it continues.

Also, my car took less than a month from beginning production until delivery, so it’s not like it sat around for months draining the battery.

Lastly, does your experiment with the power of the rear view mirror port take into account whether you lock the car after shutting it off? I know on my wife’s BMW, if you don’t lock the doors after shutting it off, then everything stays powered for quite a long time even after opening and closing the doors. Once you lock it, however, it all powers down. Just a thought.

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve received that notification twice in the eight days I’ve had my car. Both times the car had been parked only around 12 hours, which I found very strange. Both instances were after drives of close to thirty minutes, so it wasn’t a matter of multiple short drives. My F250 has given me that message before, but it is only if it has sat without starting for more than a week. Given the experience with my truck, the Mustang deactivating after 12 hours doesn’t seem right. It’s not a huge deal for me, but I will have the dealer check it out if it continues.

Also, my car took less than a month from beginning production until delivery, so it’s not like it sat around for months draining the battery.

Lastly, does your experiment with the power of the rear view mirror port take into account whether you lock the car after shutting it off? I know on my wife’s BMW, if you don’t lock the doors after shutting it off, then everything stays powered for quite a long time even after opening and closing the doors. Once you lock it, however, it all powers down. Just a thought.
I didn't try locking the doors. I just let the accessory power go away on it's own. Maybe locking it would allow me to experiment faster but I've pretty much seen enough. I'm assuming the port is hot at all times now so I don't end up stranded. Just walked out to my car right now after having turned it off a hour ago. Dash cam is still charging from the rearview mirror USB.

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Potentially an inconsistent variable. The phone may be using some of its own power management features. If battery is beyond a specific level it may not charge, etc.
I hear ya but I plugged the same phone / cord combo into the USB port below the AC vents after accessory power was off and it wouldn't charge. Right after that, I plugged the same phone / cord combo into the USB port at the rearview mirror and it immediately starts charging again.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya but I plugged the same phone / cord combo into the USB port below the AC vents after accessory power was off and it wouldn't charge. Right after that, I plugged the same phone / cord combo into the USB port at the rearview mirror and it immediately starts charging again.
In that case, I would treat it as always hot until confirmed otherwise.

if that is always hot makes me almost wonder, is there a built in camera behind the mirror, if so, I wonder if that isn’t going to sleep
and they tap[p]ed its feed for the port.

edit: added page from manual

S650 Mustang Has anyone else gotten this warning? IMG_0239

Last edited:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
In that case, I would treat it as always hot until confirmed otherwise.

if that is always hot makes me almost wonder, is there a built in camera behind the mirror, if so, I wonder if that isn’t going to sleep
and they taped its feed for the port.
There is a camera that dims the headlight and reads speed limit signs for the adaptive cruse control. Too bad it can't be used record traffic activity.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too bad it can't be used record traffic activity.
I wouldn’t put it past them. ‘Them’ not as being ford but the other them, the they them that requires black boxes and what not them.

Steadyvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang ecoboost

IMG_1833.jpeg
Confirmed, I'm not crazy after all.
I was complaining about this exact same issue on my 2019 ecoboost. No one could seem to figure it out. Ppl told me to unplug my dash cam every night, I did. They told me to buy a better battery, I did. They told me to drive it everyday, I did. It was frustrating to drive ur car for hours, put it in the garage and a couple of hours later, get that same message.
It got to the point where I had to buy a battery charger and actually used it a few times because when I woke up in the morning, seen the message on my battery was dead, so I thought. Charged it and the car started. Honestly, this is some B.S. and I shouldn't have to go through such drastic measures. I sold my ecoboost, upgrading to a GT, hoping that Ford would have fixed this flaw.
Guess not. It definitely is a flaw, i don't care what anyone says. This is crazy! I guess I'll enjoy that GT power until I can't take that annoying message anymore, then sell it 😤

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Confirmed, I'm not crazy after all.
I was complaining about this exact same issue on my 2019 ecoboost. No one could seem to figure it out. Ppl told me to unplug my dash cam every night, I did. They told me to buy a better battery, I did. They told me to drive it everyday, I did. It was frustrating to drive ur car for hours, put it in the garage and a couple of hours later, get that same message.
It got to the point where I had to buy a battery charger and actually used it a few times because when I woke up in the morning, seen the message on my battery was dead, so I thought. Charged it and the car started. Honestly, this is some B.S. and I shouldn't have to go through such drastic measures. I sold my ecoboost, upgrading to a GT, hoping that Ford would have fixed this flaw.
Guess not. It definitely is a flaw, i don't care what anyone says. This is crazy! I guess I'll enjoy that GT power until I can't take that annoying message anymore, then sell it 😤
Yea, there is no excuse. It should be on switched power. I'm going to have to set a reminder on my phone every night to make sure my dash cam is manually turned off. Pathetic.
Sponsored