• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT with or without performance pack?

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium
Hi
I am looking at various builds, i plan on a gt premium if not a dark horse… but i am thinking id really like a convertible so leaning towards gt premium.
Is the 5k for the performance pack worth it? I would NOT be tracking just using it as my daily driver. Is it worth the 5k for all the stuff it has? Id almost rather forgo the 5k and put that towards the convertible.
I would get the mag res shocks and i think you need the performance pack for them, but those are not needed, just a preference.
I want the active exhaust and that does not require the perf pack.

the extra gages, summer tires (which i hate) since they only last 15k. Miles, and being from maine, theres a lot of days lower than 40 degrees where id wish i had all season tires.
I had summer tires on my ecoboost, great tires, but not in the cold… and they dont last long…

Any good reasons why i NEED the perf pack or reasons NOT to get it?
Thanks for any suggestions…
Sponsored

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Not sure there are "extra gauges" anymore -- unless it's built into the digital display.

The convertible is already $5K over the coupe, but if you want a bit better handling then go for the Performance Pack. Since the Convertible will probably be more of a cruiser, I don't think it's necessary.

JeffNEOhio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
Hi
I am looking at various builds, i plan on a gt premium if not a dark horse… but i am thinking id really like a convertible so leaning towards gt premium.
Is the 5k for the performance pack worth it? I would NOT be tracking just using it as my daily driver. Is it worth the 5k for all the stuff it has? Id almost rather forgo the 5k and put that towards the convertible.
I would get the mag res shocks and i think you need the performance pack for them, but those are not needed, just a preference.
I want the active exhaust and that does not require the perf pack.

the extra gages, summer tires (which i hate) since they only last 15k. Miles, and being from maine, theres a lot of days lower than 40 degrees where id wish i had all season tires.
I had summer tires on my ecoboost, great tires, but not in the cold… and they dont last long…

Any good reasons why i NEED the perf pack or reasons NOT to get it?
Thanks for any suggestions…
I had similar questions, and ended up not getting the Performance Package. Just didn't think it was worth it, value wise. I'm not going to track mine. And it seems like most of the items in the package are more for that. Although it would seem to stiffen up the suspension. Which would be more fun driving. But I would think that it's not really necessary.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
While you may not track the GT, one thing to consider is that with it being a low-riding car, the extra handling/suspension support from the Performance Package will be beneficial if you live in an area with shitty roads, making for a smoother ride with less wear/tear on the Drivetrain.

Not saying this is worth an extra $5K though...

jbeansem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus 2014
I did not go with the Performance pack but I see a lot of hype around it on this forum. I was really only considering it because the 19 in tires have better grip. They're a less smooth ride though, they're more expensive to replace, you have to actually swap the tires every season, and with Massachusetts pot holes, I personally decided not to get it.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I will say though, if the choice is between the Dark Horse or a GT with the Performance Package, just get the GT with the Performance Package as it will be cheaper than a base model Dark Horse.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
$5k for some springs, sway bars, and wheels I would replace couldn’t be justified.
The major reason for getting the PP would be the MagneRide suspension but is that even worth the $6500+? Not really

NS90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GFY
I will say though, if the choice is between the Dark Horse or a GT with the Performance Package, just get the GT with the Performance Package as it will be cheaper than a base model Dark Horse.
This is great guidance for coupe buyers who are on the edge trying to decide between GT premium or Dark Horse. If I was going GT premium vert I would forego the PP and just roll with the 401A package.

Last edited:

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
$5k for some springs, sway bars, and wheels I would replace couldn’t be justified.
The major reason for getting the PP would be the MagneRide suspension but is that even worth the $6500+? Not really
You're also leaving out the rear wing, K brace/strut tower brace, torsen differential, drift brake and much bigger brakes

NS90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GFY
You're also leaving out the rear wing, K brace/strut tower brace, torsen differential, drift brake and much bigger brakes
Great point. I can say what is almost never mentioned in the offerings, which is different between non-pp and pp, is that you get rubber bushings on the knuckle and toe link versus Delrin spherical bearings. Minor but noticeable when it comes to handling. Definitely not a reason to go PP alone though as they retail for only like $100 but installation is annoying.

Last edited:

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Brakes can be ordered stand alone. I put them on my build.
Sway bars = braces. I did forget the Torsen dif (not useful for 95% of driving), wing, and the drift brake though.

Personally I am going to get a duckbill spoiler or the DH wing. PP wing would likely get taken off and sold

bobdes368

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Shelby GT 500
I would have liked the PP, but at 65 years old, I won't be going to the track anytime soon. I would have liked the PP Rear Spoiler to have been an available option on the GT though. A bit disappointed it wasn't. Can't wait to get this car.

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I figured since I wasn't going to mod the car, I might as well get some extra options from the factory. I also really like the wing, wheels and brembos that come with the performance pack.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Great point. I can say what is almost never mentioned in the offerings, which is different between non-pp and pp, is that you get rubber bushings on the knuckle and toe link versus Delrin spherical bearings. Minor but noticeable when it comes to handling. Definitely not a reason to go PP alone though as they retail for only like $100 but installation is annoying.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5972-M

Is this what you’re referring to? Ford has this listed under 2024

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium (ordered)
Upgraded brakes, tires, adjustable suspension, rear wing, and better handling. I would not purchase a Mustang without the PP, especially one that I built from scratch.
Sponsored