• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT Active Valve Exhaust Worth Optioning?

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Most likely what your hearing is Jake Brakes. It's an option you can order on trucks that turns the engine into a compressor by changing the valve timing when braking. It provides quite a bit of braking without wearing out the friction brakes. They are loud and there are restrictions as to where they can use them. If you live near a hill or the pitch drops over time, your probably hearing a Jake Brake.
I drove semis for 12 years with Jake brakes. Its the jacked up pickup trucks which seems like almost strait headers. I do like a nice sounding exhaust even if its loud but some are very obnoxious and sound bad.
Sponsored

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
0 reason to get the active exhaust. If you care about making it sound better chances are you're gonna do some aftermarket exhaust upgrades anyway, which will render the active exhaust useless.

I chose to not get active as I know I'm going to mod the exhaust within the first month probably. The quads are nice, but not worth a worthless package when I can get my own.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
…I do like a nice sounding exhaust even if it’s loud but some are very obnoxious and sound bad.
Agreed, a nice deep idle that is more felt than heard, now that’s nice.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
0 reason to get the active exhaust. If you care about making it sound better chances are you're gonna do some aftermarket exhaust upgrades anyway, which will render the active exhaust useless.

I chose to not get active as I know I'm going to mod the exhaust within the first month probably. The quads are nice, but not worth a worthless package when I can get my own.

I care about exhaust sound and lately been into exhaust where I can alter the sound with different components or small changes in the system. Like adjusting a J-Pipe or swapping out mufflers with the same system.

I got the active exhaust with intentions to get a louder better sounding exhaust and be able to tune the sound.
The active exhaust won't be useless for me. I'll mostly run it Wide Open but will be nice to have the ability to quiet it down if needed.

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I care about exhaust sound and lately been into exhaust where I can alter the sound with different components or small changes in the system. Like adjusting a J-Pipe or swapping out mufflers with the same system.

I got the active exhaust with intentions to get a louder better sounding exhaust and be able to tune the sound.
The active exhaust won't be useless for me. I'll mostly run it Wide Open but will be nice to have the ability to quiet it down if needed.
If you're going to be getting a louder and different exhaust why spend the extra money for something you're just going to be replacing anyway? Doesn't make any sense

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're going to be getting a louder and different exhaust why spend the extra money for something you're just going to be replacing anyway? Doesn't make any sense
Factory installed dumps

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Not sure what you mean
You're paying to have the ability to change the exhaust volume integrated into the car instead of having some jank 3d party solution to achieve the same effect. Aftermarket catback/axlebacks uses the factory actuators for the valves so it is not like you are losing any functionality if you want to mod your exhaust.

The only real downside with going with active exhaust is that aftermarket exhausts are more expensive compared to the non active variants.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're paying to have the ability to change the exhaust volume integrated into the car instead of having some jank 3d party solution to achieve the same effect. Aftermarket catback/axlebacks uses the factory actuators for the valves so it is not like you are losing any functionality if you want to mod your exhaust.

The only real downside with going with active exhaust is that aftermarket exhausts are more expensive compared to the non active variants.
That’s one way to put it. I was thinking more along the lines of … an enterprising individual that likes to tinker will find factory provided actuators and integrated control a handy little addition when experimenting with various designs.

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A

Right, which is why I would only ever recommend active exhaust to someone if they want the quiet feature, not if they want a better sounding exhaust. Me personally I live in a townhouse but I couldn't give 2 rats asses about how loud my car is as no one else does around here.

MagneticMartian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Right, which is why I would only ever recommend active exhaust to someone if they want the quiet feature, not if they want a better sounding exhaust. Me personally I live in a townhouse but I couldn't give 2 rats asses about how loud my car is as no one else does around here.
I agree I really regret getting the active exhaust, my friend has a 2019 GT with just a muffler delete and stock resonator and it sounds absolutely perfect, deeper at idle and better than pretty much any exhaust I've heard.

I thought by getting active exhaust I would just be paying for the diffuser to have a quad tip and then just get a muffler delete myself but after more research I found out it throws errors and a check engine light if you do that so now I'll be stuck with spending another 1-2k on an axle-back or cat-back exhaust that is compatible with the active rather than the 100$ for a muffler delete which I personally think sounds better at the end of the day.

However, if someone is fine with the stock volume then I think it's a good choice in terms of the tone but I need the car to be loud so it doesn't work for me.

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I agree I really regret getting the active exhaust, my friend has a 2019 GT with just a muffler delete and stock resonator and it sounds absolutely perfect, deeper at idle and better than pretty much any exhaust I've heard.

I thought by getting active exhaust I would just be paying for the diffuser to have a quad tip and then just get a muffler delete myself but after more research I found out it throws errors and a check engine light if you do that so now I'll be stuck with spending another 1-2k on an axle-back or cat-back exhaust that is compatible with the active rather than the 100$ for a muffler delete which I personally think sounds better at the end of the day.

However, if someone is fine with the stock volume then I think it's a good choice in terms of the tone but I need the car to be loud so it doesn't work for me.
Yep. Left it stock so I can make it louder myself and will install my own quad tips. Probably all for cheaper than the active exhaust package.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
What doesn't make sense? That I want to put a louder better sounding exhaust and still have control to mellow it out when I don't want it as loud.

The extra I'm paying covers the active valves and the rear valance. AND I get a better sounding and better looking exhaust from the factory to drive home from the dealership.

The money doesn't matter but it makes perfect sense for me.
Sponsored