• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Got my 2024 GT today, here's my novice takeaway, questions, and issues.

jbeansem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus 2014
So today around 11am I got the call my car had been delivered here in Massachusetts, which I originally ordered on 3/27. Went in at 3pm, bought it fully, and put roughly 80 miles on it today trying to burn through the break in period. Base Shadow Black GT 10 speed, 401a Package, Active Valve Exhaust, no performance pack, 3.55 gearing, 18in wheels.

Now I have literally never driven a Mustang a single time before today. Everyone I see giving reviews of the 24 Mustang is super entrenched in the car industry which I think muddy's the water on how the car truly feels. Here are my thoughts as a complete novice.

Takeaway:
-The car is everything I dreamed it would be since I first started wanting a Mustang around 14 years ago. The power, noise, and driving feel is unreal and I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Mustang.
-I've kept it under 3500 RPMs but I have given it some serious throttle, even from a stand still, and never had any tire spin.
-I've seen people mention the steering feels loose, I actually think it feels tight and I have complete confidence when taking corners.
-People also say the photos don't do justice. After today I 100% agree. If you don't like the photos, go see one at a dealership and it may change your mind.

Questions:
-The biggest thing I noticed is the front of the car is SUPER hot after driving even short distances. I'm talking I can feel the heat of the front through the window sometimes but the gauges inside show the engine is normal temperature. Is this normal?
-If you get up into 4th/5th gear and let off the throttle, as the car comes down in RPMs and downshifts, the exhaust pops occasionally. This sounds badass but I was under the impression this would not happen with stock exhaust. Is this normal?

Issues:
-The 10 speed does bog occasionally if you are iffy with the throttle. If you give it steady throttle on the low or high RPMs, it shifts smooth as butter.
-My outdoor cover did not show up with the car even though it was in my order and the dealership has no ETA of when it will. I have rogue turkeys in my neighborhood who like pecking cars so I'm basically relying on bedsheets to keep my car safe right now :frown:
-Apparently having no front license plate is illegal in MA and I didn't want them drilling my front bumper so I have to figure that out now
-The dealerships push you like mad to download the Ford Pass app. I blatantly asked if that's a metric they get judged on and they said yes. I did not do it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
Congrats! You did great on what you ordered and your initial take on things is pretty accurate.

The popping is normal so just enjoy it. Thatā€™s why the Good Lord invented the AVE!

The A10 shift bog is a real thing, at least for me. It will get better as the transmission learns how you drive, so I suggest giving it a little more throttle through the gears. Mine seems much better at around 1,000 miles.

Donā€˜t make yourself crazy with that 3500 rpm thing. Itā€™s virtually impossible anyway. Just donā€™t beat on the car and youā€™ll be fine.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Congrats! You did great on what you ordered and your initial take on things is pretty accurate.

The popping is normal so just enjoy it. Thatā€™s why the Good Lord invented the AVE!

The A10 shift bog is a real thing, at least for me. It will get better as the transmission learns how you drive, so I suggest giving it a little more throttle through the gears. Mine seems much better at around 1,000 miles.

Donā€˜t make yourself crazy with that 3500 rpm thing. Itā€™s virtually impossible anyway. Just donā€™t beat on the car and youā€™ll be fine.
I was told not to go over 4000 RPMā€™s. So I donā€™t. It really isnā€™t hard to stay under that

Lidsoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Darkhorse #0627
Engines get VERY HOT, coolant says okay so she's okay being a big girl V8 they get quite hot and it's better to feel that heat coming off than it trapped inside.

The FordPass app is great for you actually being automatic you get a bit more out of it. If you are say at the mall on a cold or maybe hot day and know your key won't reach you can use the app to remote start before leaving. Even if, say you don't have the key and don't want to go upstairs to get it. If have your phone you can unlock it with your phone. There are other little things for maintenance and keeping records with it but they are done automatically.

Also, there are under-carriage attachments to add a front plate that isn't drilling big ugly holes into the bumper. Be glad the dealership didn't take the pleasure of doing it for you.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So today around 11am I got the call my car had been delivered here in Massachusetts, which I originally ordered on 3/27. Went in at 3pm, bought it fully, and put roughly 80 miles on it today trying to burn through the break in period. Base Shadow Black GT 10 speed, 401a Package, Active Valve Exhaust, no performance pack, 3.55 gearing, 18in wheels.

Now I have literally never driven a Mustang a single time before today. Everyone I see giving reviews of the 24 Mustang is super entrenched in the car industry which I think muddy's the water on how the car truly feels. Here are my thoughts as a complete novice.

Takeaway:
-The car is everything I dreamed it would be since I first started wanting a Mustang around 14 years ago. The power, noise, and driving feel is unreal and I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Mustang.
-I've kept it under 3500 RPMs but I have given it some serious throttle, even from a stand still, and never had any tire spin.
-I've seen people mention the steering feels loose, I actually think it feels tight and I have complete confidence when taking corners.
-People also say the photos don't do justice. After today I 100% agree. If you don't like the photos, go see one at a dealership and it may change your mind.

Questions:
-The biggest thing I noticed is the front of the car is SUPER hot after driving even short distances. I'm talking I can feel the heat of the front through the window sometimes but the gauges inside show the engine is normal temperature. Is this normal?
-If you get up into 4th/5th gear and let off the throttle, as the car comes down in RPMs and downshifts, the exhaust pops occasionally. This sounds badass but I was under the impression this would not happen with stock exhaust. Is this normal?

Issues:
-The 10 speed does bog occasionally if you are iffy with the throttle. If you give it steady throttle on the low or high RPMs, it shifts smooth as butter.
-My outdoor cover did not show up with the car even though it was in my order and the dealership has no ETA of when it will. I have rogue turkeys in my neighborhood who like pecking cars so I'm basically relying on bedsheets to keep my car safe right now :frown:
-Apparently having no front license plate is illegal in MA and I didn't want them drilling my front bumper so I have to figure that out now
-The dealerships push you like mad to download the Ford Pass app. I blatantly asked if that's a metric they get judged on and they said yes. I did not do it.
Car dealers can put the holes in for you for tags, I believe.
I agree my steering wheel feels more tight.
You live in MA and you didnā€™t know you had to have a tag in the front? We didnā€™t want a hole drilled in bumper either, but we donā€™t have front tags
Ford pass is good to have. You can get points as put them towards oil changes, etc

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engines get VERY HOT, coolant says okay so she's okay being a big girl V8 they get quite hot and it's better to feel that heat coming off than it trapped inside.

The FordPass app is great for you actually being automatic you get a bit more out of it. If you are say at the mall on a cold or maybe hot day and know your key won't reach you can use the app to remote start before leaving. Even if, say you don't have the key and don't want to go upstairs to get it. If have your phone you can unlock it with your phone. There are other little things for maintenance and keeping records with it but they are done automatically.

Also, there are under-carriage attachments to add a front plate that isn't drilling big ugly holes into the bumper. Be glad the dealership didn't take the pleasure of doing it for you.
We told ours DO NOT DRILL OURS and they didnā€™t

Lidsoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Darkhorse #0627
We told ours DO NOT DRILL OURS and they didnā€™t
Thankfully being smaller town they listen to you a bit better they donā€™t/forget at bigger dealers. Thankfully Iā€™m where they donā€™t require ugly ugly front plates.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thankfully being smaller town they listen to you a bit better they donā€™t/forget at bigger dealers. Thankfully Iā€™m where they donā€™t require ugly ugly front plates.
They wrote it down when husband told them. He hates those plate holders

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
I wonder if what you are feeling is the engine heat being removed from under hood by the heat extractors at the front of the hood?

S650 Mustang Got my 2024 GT today, here's my novice takeaway, questions, and issues. 1000025301

For cars without the extractor, the engine heat escapes from under the car or front wheel wells and is not normally felt.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1

Takeaway:

Questions:

Issues:
IL also requires front plates. I went 4 years without a front plate on my 2019 GT and my dad has yet to put one on his Genesis. Neither of us have had any issues. Ymmv, of course, so take from that what you will.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1

Takeaway:

Questions:

Issues:
Put your plate in the front window for now.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Congrats on taking receipt of your car. :clap:

- Popping is normal, more so when in other, sportier modes

- Parts like this often come from other locations and are sent directly to the parts department. Sometimes they arrive before or when the car does. Often, not. What is shipped will be tagged with your VIN. Stop by parts, identify yourself, let them know you look forward to receiving it. With respect to timelines, it depends. While my car cover was waiting for me, other items did not arrive until close to six weeks later

- CO is a front plate state and I never installed it. I've had police walk by the car at informal C&C events and they never said a thing. Never been pulled over. YMMV. The plate sits on the floor of the car. My metal plate arrived from the state in a plastic sleeve and I'd guess yours will to. Most here place the plate on the dash while driving. Some have suction cup assemblies to put on the glass, which blocks view. Others, a visor setup, with one visor down all the time. Placing on the dash in a clear wrapper seems best. Long-term, you can study some of the mounting assemblies available. The aftermarket is just getting started on the S650. You should have some nice options available in the future.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
With respect to break-in, my previous comments follow. At a few thousand miles, I've had no issues. Initial oil analysis, mileage, fluids, temps, etc., confirm all is well. The topic elicits a wide range of comments. This worked for me. YMMV.

Consider changing the title of your thread to, "The Break-In Thread. Your Advice and Experience." Or something of the sort. I expect it to receive a lot of comments and be long-lived. :like:

The following relates to my experience with a 2022, Coyote Gen 3, now 1200 mi / 1930 km from new. The Coyote is a proven performer. It's a great engine that likes to rev. The engine does not wake up until past 4000 RPM.

Read the Owner's Manual regarding initial driving and break-in. There are general guidelines and references you can be aware of and follow.

Don't be surprised if, on the initial drive home from the dealer, you smell a burning smell or smells. Countless people have put the car together and checked it out. There's oil residue and handprints everywhere. These smells should only be present during the first drive, once getting up to full operating temperature.

Before attempting any break-in driving, spirited driving, something which will stress the components, always, always, always bring the engine up to full operating temperature. DO NOT perform ANY stress processes until things are up to temp.

It is generally a good idea to avoid highway driving, continuous RPM driving, if possible, throughout break-in. If you will be driving the highway, do not use cruise control and vary the RPMs often. Consider taking an off ramp, then getting back on. Something which will vary the RPMs and loads.

DO NOT drive the car at all unless you are going to reach full operating temps. If it will be a short run, drive more than expected to bring the car up to temps. It's actually better to let the car sit versus a short, non-operating temp drive.

DO NOT "lug" the engine, driving the car in a high-load, low-RPM scenario. If you need to downshift, do so.

Something I've yet to do is shock the drivetrain. For example, I've yet to "stomp" on the throttle. I've yet to dump the clutch and launch. Any stressing I've done has always been from a rolling position, being already in motion and being aggressive, but not beating on, the throttle.

I'm a low mileage driver, with the car in Winter storage throughout the season. I'll be changing the oil once a year. The Owner's Manual will explain oil changes and the Oil Life Monitor.

Many perform their initial oil change at the 1000 mi / 1600 km mark. I've come to the belief I'm better off waiting. I feel the initial fill at the factory is not "regular" off-the-shelf oil, but a special fill, to help with break-in. There's also assembly lube. I'm at 34% on the oil life monitor. I'm going to wait another month or two, then change to full synthetic.

Regardless how you drive, the Oil Life Monitor counts down 1.92% each week. It will reach 0% at the one year mark, if not sooner, no matter how you drive.

My comments on the factory oil are my opinion, a belief. I have no proof. Many do and without issue change their oil at 1000 mi /1600 km and are just fine. As you'll see with oil viscosity debates, it's a personal thing.

At oil change, consider performing an engine oil analysis. I'll be using BlackStone. I want to perform an oil analysis because I'm curious, but also to document a baseline.

The 2022 manual lists the overall break-in of 1000 miles / 1600 km and offers advice and guidance. It also states oil consumption might not stabilize until 3000 mi / 4828 km.

At one extreme, people baby their cars. At the other, they drive it like they stole it the second they have the keys. You'll find at least one video on YouTube of someone on a dyno hitting the rev limiter, with like 12 miles on the car. You'll know you're on the limit when the dash lighting turns red. LOL.

I took the middle route, and performed what I considered at progressive break in. Each drive, within the first 100 mi / 160 km especially, I increased my highest shift point, to help ensure I was seating the piston rings.

First drive, I was just getting home. I think the highest I rev'd was 3000 - 3500. All I was interest in was getting the car home safe, get used to the car. Ten miles, or 16 clicks.

Second drive, I was consistently hitting 4000 RPM. Not every time I shifted, but I made a point to do that several times.

Third drive, 4500. Same methodology.

Fourth drive, getting to 100 mi / 160 km, I hit 5000 RPM, several times. It's when I learned for the first time just how quick the car could accelerate. And I loved it.

From the fourth drive until now, I always shift at least once, often several times, from 5000 to now 6000 rpm. I intend to continue do so.

I would also and continue to randomly park the car and shutdown the engine for a few minutes. The engine gets hotter by sitting still, before it cools off. I then take off and continue the drive, not stressing the car again until temps have returned to normal.

Throughout break-in, engine deceleration is as important as acceleration. I have two advantages, with a MT and hilly/mountainous terrain. I've gotten into the habit of accelerating to 5000 RPM in low gear, keeping it there for about one second, and then slowly backing off the accelerator before continuing. I'm decelerating the engine, letting the engine load slow the car. I'll do the same, at lower RPM, simply from driving around the local area.

Throughout the process and especially the first several drives, check for fluid leaks and the oil level. Oil is denser when cold, with the dipstick easier to read. Oil expands when hot. The dipstick will read different between cold and hot. I always did a quick walk around when returning, checking under hood and underneath. While I checked the engine oil each time, everything else was a visual without opening anything.

However checking oil, check in a consistent manner, always in the same place, hot or cold.

So far so good. I've had zero issues of any kind.

Many more comments should come and give you plenty of feedback to assist. :handshake:

Last edited:

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Now there's a new one.
šŸ˜‚ we actually have huge peacocks in certain neighborhoods around here that do the same thing. They see their reflection in the car and think they're being challenged! šŸ¦š
Sponsored