• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First OTA software update

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Gotcha. That adds up.! Oh well / the only option I have is to tether it to my phone at a spot where I have real good connectivity.
how long does the update take?
Sorry, I'd have to defer to someone who has done the update as mine is supposedly already running the latest version. Can anyone chime in on this? In my previous Ford vehicle (2017 F-150 with Sync 3), updates could take anywhere from 10-20 minutes.
Sponsored

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
This just popped up today for me. Anyone else?

S650 Mustang First OTA software update IMG_0073

S650 Mustang First OTA software update IMG_0074

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
You do not need to connect to WiFi to get an update downloaded. You can do that as sometimes it will help or if you have auto update off you can do it that way. The updates though are all over the place. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. Seeing all the crap on the F150 pages about updates. I did have issues getting updates shortly before i traded my F150 for a Bronco. But it was battery related. Replaced under warranty and they forced the updates while fixing some TSBs.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
You do not need to connect to WiFi to get an update downloaded. You can do that as sometimes it will help or if you have auto update off you can do it that way. The updates though are all over the place. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.
I stand corrected 🙂 Wi-Fi can help and based on Ford's website, some updates may only be available after being connected to Wi-Fi.

I found this site quite useful: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...tes-general-information/software-update-faqs/

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I stand corrected 🙂 Wi-Fi can help and based on Ford's website, some updates may only be available after being connected to Wi-Fi.

I found this site quite useful: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...tes-general-information/software-update-faqs/
No, it doesn't. At least not yet.

Let me give you a little insight here on OTA updates: While I can' speak for the S650 platform specifically, I can tell you without hesitation that not one single solitary OTA update has ever been delivered to my 2021 F150 Platinum via WiFi. Every single update that Ford has released for the F150 since I bought my '21 has been released via the on-board TCU *only*.

I can tell you this because we have a couple of threads over on an F150-centric discussion forum with THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of posts in them. We program and update module firmware in our own vehicles using FDRS (Ford Diagnostic & Repair System) -- the exact same system the technicians use to update them.

Some folks get tired of waiting for a Power-Up update to be released OTA for their truck, so they use a VIC (typically a Mongoose Plus, about $500) and a 2-day subscription to FDRS ($50) to apply all the outstanding module updates themselves. I've done it several times, the first time when it took Ford over a year to release the updates required for BlueCruise for the 2021 Job 1 F150's that were delivered with the hardware installed and a promise to deliver the module updates OTA.

We have people over there who will literally tell you what OTA updates you have waiting, the entire history of OTA and module updates for your vehicle ... everything.

But back to the point: No, not a single OTA update has ever been delivered via WiFi to the F150s, and I doubt highly that the S650 is any different.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Interesting. There were a few times on my 2017 F-150, where I would just go to Ford's website and download the update to a USB stick and then install it from there in the truck. Wish Ford offered that for consumers without having to buy/pay additional equipment (aside from a USB Thumb stick which are cheaper than ordering a combo meal at a fast food restaurant).

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. There were a few times on my 2017 F-150, where I would just go to Ford's website and download the update to a USB stick and then install it from there in the truck. Wish Ford offered that for consumers without having to buy/pay additional equipment (aside from a USB Thumb stick which are cheaper than ordering a combo meal at a fast food restaurant).
Those days are over. Well, except that there are some updates that are done through FDRS that require a thumb drive instead of the VIC - but you can't get them without an FDRS subscription.

When it works, OTA is great. Many updates are downloaded and applied without you even knowing about it until after it's done (notification in vehicle or FordPass). Some do require the vehicle to be unavailable for a short period of time.

After I had the APIM and ICMP modules physically replaced and my weak battery replaced on my Job 1 F150, the OTAs have been coming through without issue (nearly 2 years). I did force a handful of module updates via FDRS and my Mongoose Plus VIC, but that's because I was impatient waiting for Ford to push a Power-Up update to me .... :)

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
Got my OTA update today (successfully) VIA WiFi with my vehicle in the garage ~50ft from the modem.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my OTA update today (successfully) VIA WiFi with my vehicle in the garage ~50ft from the modem.
How do you know it was delivered via WiFi and not the TCU? Just because you're connected to your WiFi doesn't mean the OTA came across WiFi.

PM me your VIN. IIRC, I think my contact can tell how it was delivered ... maybe ... it's been a while.

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
How do you know it was delivered via WiFi and not the TCU? Just because you're connected to your WiFi doesn't mean the OTA came across WiFi.

PM me your VIN. IIRC, I think my contact can tell how it was delivered ... maybe ... it's been a while.
hey there Road Pilot thanks for the help. I was previously in product development at Ford and worked with these groups & likely will reach out directly. From the conversation I had I was told you can take a log dump through engineering mode also by inserting a USB.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey there Road Pilot thanks for the help. I was previously in product development at Ford and worked with these groups & likely will reach out directly. From the conversation I had I was told you can take a log dump through engineering mode also by inserting a USB.
I did reach out to my contact. He told me HE can't see the delivery method, but what he did remind me was that EVERY single OTA for the F150 since 2021 has ONLY been delivered via OTA/TCU with the exception of one, and that's because that one was needed to FIX the TCU/OTA delivery process that was broken by a previous update.

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
This just popped up today for me. Anyone else?

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

Didn't get that Pop Up but I am on Version 959 and I read earlier that a Member said that, according to their knowledge, this is to be the New Update. I have it as well when I checked earlier yesterday afternoon so I happened without notice. And Congrats on getting 20.9 mpg on that Bad Boy.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Didn't get that Pop Up but I am on Version 959 and I read earlier that a Member said that, according to their knowledge, this is to be the New Update. I have it as well when I checked earlier yesterday afternoon so I happened without notice. And Congrats on getting 20.9 mpg on that Bad Boy.
Yea, Version 959 is what I was on and then this update popped up on my screen. And yea, that 20.9 MPG didn't last log in with this nice weather 😂