• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Vickstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
From Muscle Cars Trucks

S650 Ford Mustang EGR System: Details
“So, in terms of why (the EGR system) is there. It’s integral to the strategy of keeping ICE engines in the market and achieving the compliance.” S650 Mustang chief engineer Ed Krenz shared with MC&T. “It is an integrated EGR system. So some of the historical issues automakers have had with EGRs have to do with a lot of these external devices and leaks and valve issues. A lot of that has been integrated into the engine. Ours will be a more durable design. It is the same system that’s been rolled out on the 2.0L EcoBoost engines as well. So, we’re not test-driving this on the Mustang product by any stretch of the imagination.”​

The "historical issues" he mentions is from buildup of carbon particles from the exhaust gases along the EGR and intake system passages. This eventually clogs the gas channels and causes the valve’s plunger mechanism to either stick open or close, reducing the lifespan of the engine.
Sponsored

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I was under the impression that VVT had eliminated the need for traditional EGR valves. If I am correct the 4.6L 3-valve Triton in my '10 F150 does not use an EGR valve. I thought I had read that it uses variable valve timing to recirculate exhaust gases, but I may be mistaken. If there is one it's working great at 170k miles. No DTCs for the EGR have ever been thrown. The vapor canister purge valve...not so much. It crapped the bed about 45k miles ago.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I was under the impression that VVT had eliminated the need for traditional EGR valves. If I am correct the 4.6L 3-valve Triton in my '10 F150 does not use an EGR valve. I thought I had read that it uses variable valve timing to recirculate exhaust gases, but I may be mistaken. If there is one it's working great at 170k miles. No DTCs for the EGR have ever been thrown. The vapor canister purge valve...not so much. It crapped the bed about 45k miles ago.
that was true before but not with current emissions regulations. I really really don’t like EGRS

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that was true before but not with current emissions regulations. I really really don’t like EGRS
So we are stuck with EGR once again? I swear the EPA ruins everything!

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F250 Super Duty SOLD
Sounds like they made it much harder if not impossible to delete.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
So we are stuck with EGR once again? I swear the EPA ruins everything!
Look at the air in cities like LA and Philly in the 70's then look at them today when the were are More factories and cars pumping out smog. it's night and day better, and that's thanks to the EPA.

Watch Rocky and you'd think Philly was just permanently grey sky and overcast all the time. I hate regulations as much as anyone else but without the EPA our air would be like China's. No large company has made a change that HELPED people unless it was driven by profits or regulations, and most people buy the cheapest product that fits the needs. There is even a HUGE correlation between the termination of Leaded gas and paints and the lowering lead levels in kids.

If companies did what was right we'd have a lot cheaper gas and they wouldn't be making "crazy record profits". They would be settling for "record profits" and we'd have more money to spend in other parts of the economy, but, profits first, things actually good for people and environment are a 2nd after thought only as far as it can be used to drive profits.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Look at the air in cities like LA and Philly in the 70's then look at them today when the were are More factories and cars pumping out smog. it's night and day better, and that's thanks to the EPA.

Watch Rocky and you'd think Philly was just permanently grey sky and overcast all the time. I hate regulations as much as anyone else but without the EPA our air would be like China's. No large company has made a change that HELPED people unless it was driven by profits or regulations, and most people buy the cheapest product that fits the needs. There is even a HUGE correlation between the termination of Leaded gas and paints and the lowering lead levels in kids.

If companies did what was right we'd have a lot cheaper gas and they wouldn't be making "crazy record profits". They would be settling for "record profits" and we'd have more money to spend in other parts of the economy, but, profits first, things actually good for people and environment are a 2nd after thought only as far as it can be used to drive profits.
My main takeaway is trying to picture LA’s smog being worse than it is today

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I posted that tongue in cheek. It was meant to be a joke...sort of.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
From Muscle Cars Trucks

S650 Ford Mustang EGR System: Details
“So, in terms of why (the EGR system) is there. It’s integral to the strategy of keeping ICE engines in the market and achieving the compliance.” S650 Mustang chief engineer Ed Krenz shared with MC&T. “It is an integrated EGR system. So some of the historical issues automakers have had with EGRs have to do with a lot of these external devices and leaks and valve issues. A lot of that has been integrated into the engine. Ours will be a more durable design. It is the same system that’s been rolled out on the 2.0L EcoBoost engines as well. So, we’re not test-driving this on the Mustang product by any stretch of the imagination.”​

The "historical issues" he mentions is from buildup of carbon particles from the exhaust gases along the EGR and intake system passages. This eventually clogs the gas channels and causes the valve’s plunger mechanism to either stick open or close, reducing the lifespan of the engine.
I want to clarify that ford is using a hot side egr your don’t get carbon build in in that version of EGR. You’re talking the old school EGR that was eliminated mainly thanks to VCT advances. The EGR used in current EcoBoost engines is the same crap they use in diesel to cool exhaust gases to reduce NOX keyword right there, the issue Is long term they’re pretty a guaranteed failure point and have killed alot of engine because of a coolant leak.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
My main takeaway is trying to picture LA’s smog being worse than it is today
this old saw keeps coming up as "all hail the EPA". Ok, it's not completely rubbish but LA is a basin with LOUSY atmospherics, and frequent inversion so it's air quality is always going to suck the big one. LA has so ridiculously outstripped it's carrying capacity it's not funny.

Getting rid of leaded was definitely a good idea but I doubt it really needed the EPA to swing the ban hammer.
Sponsored