• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Does this sound legit???

Lookin2Buy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Toyota Camry, 24 Mustang GT
So, I'm wanting to join the Mustang family and decided to go through my credit union for the loan. Since this isn't my first rodeo I said to myself I should apply for credit through Ford BEFORE I get to the dealership to make the transaction that much smoother. I finally find the Mustang I want and rush over to the dealership to do what I think will be a smooth transaction. I get there and the salesman says they don't see my credit app in the system and that I would need to do another one. I say no I've already done one but it doesn't matter I'm using my CU. The sales manger comes over and says I'm required to do a credit app and he can't sell me the car without it.

Does this sound right to any body? In my mind I'm thinking maybe they do need to run it to as they say "ensure I am who I say I am because fraud is high and I might have a fake check from the bank". But then I snap back into reality and say hell no I've done an app online and I'm using my own credit so if that's not good enough then I'll go elsewhere.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Sometimes there are some odd rules for certain transactions in specific locales

rubbertoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
That was my experience also when buying a new gt. Whatever the reason the dealer was not telling why it was necessary.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
As long as they get their money for the vehicle, what do they care where the money came from?
It seems odd they would need you information..

OP
OP

Lookin2Buy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as they get their money for the vehicle, what do they care where the money came from?
Most dealers absolutely want you to use their financing because it's a lot more money (unless you use theirs and refinance the next day, but still). In my mind they were going to have me do the credit app and use my scores to try to gauge what my CU gave me to beat their rate.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Most dealers absolutely want you to use their financing because it's a lot more money (unless you use theirs and refinance the next day, but still). In my mind they were going to have me do the credit app and use my scores to try to gauge what my CU gave me to beat their rate.
FYI Ford Credit is offering special rates on 2024 Mustang's currently in certain parts of the country. Seeing 1.9% for 36 months, 2.9% for 48 months and 3.9% for 60 months so it might be worth checking out the Ford rates in your area. These are pretty good rates in this current rate enviroment.

BossPSC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT premium convertible
FYI Ford Credit is offering special rates on 2024 Mustang's currently in certain parts of the country. Seeing 1.9% for 36 months, 2.9% for 48 months and 3.9% for 60 months so it might be worth checking out the Ford rates in your area. These are pretty good rates in this current rate enviroment.
I bought mine last weekend through FMC at 1.9%. That was better than my CU by a considerable amount so that might be the way go anyway. While there's some odd processes to but a car these days I wouldn't think they would have to run your credit if your pre-approved through your bank.

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Don't let them do another hard pull of your credit. If they don't want the sale without financing, find another dealer. They can refuse to sell just like you can refuse to buy and walk away.

Deleted member 60890

Yeah, it is totally wrong. They are trying to get you to do an app so that they can see if they can beat the interest rate or if not talk into using them because they have better benefits or whatever bullshit talk. Donā€™t let them pull an app thereā€™s plenty of dealers you can buy a Ford Mustang from you donā€™t have to buy it from them. I would call the general manager and ask them is this the type of goon squad sales tactics to gain more margin on the sale? I freaking canā€™t believe it.

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
This isn't unheard of. My father was paying the full amount with a check. They ran his credit as basically a security check. He didn't care one way or the other.

But I would think if you're opposed, the dealer would have some other way. I always give the dealer a chance to beat my financing, so this isn't something I've had to mess with.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s the rub and the reason for the financial rules. Walk in with a pile of cash and youā€™ll still need to fill out a form to verify. Not saying you gotta complete their app prior to showing up for purchase (our dealer kept asking as well but we didnā€™t share any info until we sat down to do the deal) simply saying the feds have made some of the reporting requirements part of the purchase/sales process.

OP
OP

Lookin2Buy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s the rub and the reason for the financial rules. Walk in with a pile of cash and youā€™ll still need to fill out a form to verify. Not saying you gotta complete their app prior to showing up for purchase (our dealer kept asking as well but we didnā€™t share any info until we sat down to do the deal) simply saying the feds have made some of the reporting requirements part of the purchase/sales process.
And Iā€™m glad you mentioned this. My salesman was a young guy and he lied to me. He said I need you to complete this verification on my computer. I look at it and it clearly says Ford Credit Application. He then says itā€™s not a credit app itā€™s just our verification and if you want you can go through and only complete the boxes that have a red dot next to them. I say ok Iā€™ll play your games, I go through with vague information and sure enough big red dot next to SSN. I stopped and said no more.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Is what happened legit? No, it is not. The local dealer was attempting to sell a loan to the buyer.

In Ford's financial statements, they identify how much their credit programs make money for the company. To the dealer, getting a buyer to finance through them makes a nice amount of money as well. And unfortunately, many will do anything to make that happen.

Drivers License or other government-furnished ID is all that is required to confirm the identity of the purchaser.

It's a good practice to offer what's available or possible through Ford credit. Some buyers might have researched beforehand. Others not. But to require a hard pull before that discussion can take place, "No Thank You."

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/car-dealership-credit-report-scams-and-the-patriot-act.html

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/hard-inquiry-vs-soft-inquiry/

Edit:

"Welcome to our store! We'd love to sell you something. But before we do, we need your SSN# and other identifying information, so we can run a credit check before purchase."

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And Iā€™m glad you mentioned this. My salesman was a young guy and he lied to me. He said I need you to complete this verification on my computer. I look at it and it clearly says Ford Credit Application. He then says itā€™s not a credit app itā€™s just our verification and if you want you can go through and only complete the boxes that have a red dot next to them. I say ok Iā€™ll play your games, I go through with vague information and sure enough big red dot next to SSN. I stopped and said no more.
The spooky part of the whole story is: ā€˜whereā€™s the first app info?ā€™ I mean what happened to the stuff you submitted but they say they donā€™t have?