• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse (standard, S, R) Order Thread

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
So I did not see a thread going specific to getting a Dark Horse on order. Personally, with the limited info available and YouTube conjecture.... I'm aiming for a Dark Horse S. I was looking at Boss 302s but the Dark Horse S seems to follow that formula.... Coyote with forged internals, Tremec, Toren... just on the surface it seems the Dark Horse S is just missing the surround sound exhaust.

Anyway, after dipping my toe into the whole track day thing over the last couple of summers... If a Dark House S has an MSRP south of six-figures it's in the "must have" category for me. Hopefully while also holding onto my beloved 350R?

Anyway, I sent a text to the sales manager at my local Ford dealer and said I was ready to put down a deposit. When I bought my first Mustang in 2020 the M6G community was very helpful and supportive in helping me find it. So, I thought I'd start a thread over here so we can help each other actually attain a Dark Horse.

So, any intel would be greatly appreciated.

My first question would be...

When do the order books open?
Should I be pressing my dealer to take my deposit and provide a DORA?

Thanks again to all. It's exciting to start this process once again. The hunt is definitely part of the fun.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
Are "S" models ordered the same way? I remember the FP350S was technically a part number, not a car....not sure if that changes anything.
Also, wasn't the FP350S over $100k? I would think the Dark Horse S would start above that.
Regardless, I agree the Dark Horse S is the car to have....or any S model Mustang for that matter.

EDIT: FP350S was $115,000. I could see Dark Horse S being north of $120,000

OP
OP
anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
I know nothing of the ordering process for an "S" model or pricing for previous "S" models. I did see a Boss 302S on BaT that sold right around 90k.... so to pay $120 for a new and updated factory built track car in a Dark Horse S? Still has be salivating.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
@anacar312 it appears you and I are in the same boat.

I am hanging onto my HEPR as well, and would like to have a DHS as well.

I reached out to my dealer… finally the salesman got back to me and asked, “You’re aware these things are not street legal?” 🤦🏻‍♂️

So, I’ll be following along with you and any insight I get, you’ll know as well, but I suspect this to be north of 6 figures and likely strictly allocated.

OP
OP
anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '02 4Runner
Are "S" models ordered the same way? I remember the FP350S was technically a part number, not a car....not sure if that changes anything.
Also, wasn't the FP350S over $100k? I would think the Dark Horse S would start above that.
Regardless, I agree the Dark Horse S is the car to have....or any S model Mustang for that matter.

EDIT: FP350S was $115,000. I could see Dark Horse S being north of $120,000
lol I just posted this thought on TMO yesterday. This is my same exact thinking (that it will be at least $120k minimum). Although my driving will have matured 3 years and my current car will be a track only car, I dont see myself spending that much dough on a track car that's not a Porsche GT4.

If I play the right numbers then maybe that could change lol.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
lol I just posted this thought on TMO yesterday. This is my same exact thinking (that it will be at least $120k minimum). Although my driving will have matured 3 years and my current car will be a track only car, I dont see myself spending that much dough on a track car that's not a Porsche GT4.

If I play the right numbers then maybe that could change lol.
Oh, I also could not afford one of these. But if I had ~$150k to spend on a car, any factory built track car would be on the top of my list.

Apparently Ben Sloss has already ordered a GT3. That'll go great with his S550 GT4 and his GT MKII lol

OP
OP
anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Well, just saw Motortrend post on IG about a “possible” GT500 in 2026.
Thank you MT for thinning the buying pool for a Dark Horse S!

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
If I wanted to order a standard Dark Horse, is it worth talking to a dealer now, or just wait until the configurator comes out and submit it to a dealer and talk then?

OP
OP
anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
If I wanted to order a standard Dark Horse, is it worth talking to a dealer now, or just wait until the configurator comes out and submit it to a dealer and talk then?
As far as I know, it is not time to put a deposit down….. I called my dealer and told them to call me when it’s time.

I am willing to listen is someone else has an opinion or more experience in this situation.This is what im hoping for with this thread…. That we can all work together and share info so we can 1. Get the car and 2. pay no more than MSRP.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
As far as I know, it is not time to put a deposit down….. I called my dealer and told them to call me when it’s time.

I am willing to listen is someone else has an opinion or more experience in this situation.This is what im hoping for with this thread…. That we can all work together and share info so we can 1. Get the car and 2. pay no more than MSRP.
Cool, thanks. I am in the right spot then. This will be my first ordering experience.

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M140i
A bit of a different story here in Australia as orders for deposits started to be taken the very next day after the announcement.

I only put through my deposits today and sounds like I am already a bit late to the party as there are apparently quite a few deposits already taken before me at my dealer.

I had to put down a $2.5k deposit for my Dark Horse order. The dealer wanted a $5k deposit for the Dark Horse but I also put through another deposit for the GT Performance for $1k so managed to get that deposit down a bit.

I am not getting 2 cars just put down deposits for both cars just in case the Dark Horse is out of budget for me and didn't want to have that as my sole order in case as said when pricing comes out and the Dark Horse is out of budget and have to switch it over to a GT order and then fall to the back of the queue.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
To be straight, Ford will be producing three Dark Horse models? A street version (compares to a Mach w/ handling pkg) and then two track only models in the S and R models?

I was initially under the impression that the S model was street legal, and the R model is exclusively for the track.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
To be straight, Ford will be producing three Dark Horse models? A street version (compares to a Mach w/ handling pkg) and then two track only models in the S and R models?

I was initially under the impression that the S model was street legal, and the R model is exclusively for the track.
Both the “R” and the “S” are track only.

Two dedicated, track-only Dark Horse Mustangs powered by 5.0-liter V8 engines will only be available for racers and non-street use. Mustang Dark Horse S is designed for the weekend track day enthusiast while Mustang Dark Horse R has been developed for racing.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI

Correct, three Dark Horse models. Street legal: Dark Horse. Track only: Dark Horse S, Dark Horse R.
Sponsored