• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Convertible?

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium
Hi i am interested in possibly getting a convertible GT instead of a dark horse. Are there any videos out there of the top opening/closing? Is it a hard top or soft? Does it come in any colors besides black? Doea it feel spacious inside with the roof not open?

How much space does it rob from the otherwise very roomy trunk?
Any idea of convertible costs? The build does not offer any details on convertible options.

thanks
Sponsored

ItsRoyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 mustang
Hi i am interested in possibly getting a convertible GT instead of a dark horse. Are there any videos out there of the top opening/closing? Is it a hard top or soft? Does it come in any colors besides black? Doea it feel spacious inside with the roof not open?

Any idea of convertible costs? The build does not offer any details on convertible options.

thanks
Check out Stangmode on YouTube. He has a video of a vapor blue convt and it shows it open and close. Its soft top and take about 8 seconds. There is a manual latch to lock and unlock it but the rest is automated.

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible

thanks
I had a 2012 S197 convertible and I wasn't a fan of high the folded top sat in the back. From the S550s I saw in the showroom, it looks like they addressed that issue in subsequent years. Looking at photos/videos online it looks similar to the 550. This is a soft top and that's a good thing. Mechanical tops add weight, complication, and cost.

Ordering a DH or GT comes down to your intent on using it. If days at the track are your thing, go DH as convertibles will not be allowed on a track. Both have delays, but as of this writing some convertibles are being scheduled while DH is delayed.

I'm 6' and adjusted the driver's seat in the S197 so I was comfortable with the top up. The back seats are just for show - as long as you know you're not going to put any humans back there it'll be fine. Never had trunk issues and hope that continues.

Take a look at my attached order for an idea for cost.

As far as color of the convertible top goes, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." - Henry Ford.

S650 Mustang Convertible? order

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Convertibles are right for some people but if you have never experienced one, you might want to check one out before you buy. They are not as secure as a hard top and can be opened with a sharp knife. There is more road noise because effectively the top is always down. Depending on where you live, there might not be much top down weather. I am in Arizona with winters and summers that are top up. Only a few months in the spring and fall are top down weather.

You might consider renting one for a week and see if you are a convertible person. If you are, go with it. As for me, I am definitely a hard top person.

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium (ordered)
Convertibles are right for some people but if you have never experienced one, you might want to check one out before you buy. They are not as secure as a hard top and can be opened with a sharp knife. There is more road noise because effectively the top is always down. Depending on where you live, there might not be much top down weather. I am in Arizona with winters and summers that are top up. Only a few months in the spring and fall are top down weather.

You might consider renting one for a week and see if you are a convertible person. If you are, go with it. As for me, I am definitely a hard top person.
Good advice. I would personally never own a soft top convertible. I love them as a rental, in the right weather with the top down, but that's about it. I hate the looks of a soft top and as you've said, the coupe is better in nearly every other aspect.

papaD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Power Wagon 2016 Challenger 392 shaker
Winters are long and cold in Winnipeg

So, I try to get the most out of the nice weather.

Have always had either a convertible or a Jeep Wrangle in the stable at all times. Just sold my 69 Dart GTS convertible which was a sunday crusier.

Turning 60 in a couple months. this will be my summer toy and road trip getaways. Nothing like going down the highway on a hot summer night with the top down!

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP

Good advice. I would personally never own a soft top convertible. I love them as a rental, in the right weather with the top down, but that's about it. I hate the looks of a soft top and as you've said, the coupe is better in nearly every other aspect.
I am on my ninth Mustang convertible and I'm 74--at 19, my first one was a '67 with a 289. Have had a Mustang convertible in my garage ever since and I will never be without one.

The comments above are right on it.

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium (ordered)
Awesome, way to stick with the mustang heritage! I would love to see the photos of the cars from over the years.

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
I had a 2012 S197 convertible and I wasn't a fan of high the folded top sat in the back. From the S550s I saw in the showroom, it looks like they addressed that issue in subsequent years. Looking at photos/videos online it looks similar to the 550. This is a soft top and that's a good thing. Mechanical tops add weight, complication, and cost.

Ordering a DH or GT comes down to your intent on using it. If days at the track are your thing, go DH as convertibles will not be allowed on a track. Both have delays, but as of this writing some convertibles are being scheduled while DH is delayed.

I'm 6' and adjusted the driver's seat in the S197 so I was comfortable with the top up. The back seats are just for show - as long as you know you're not going to put any humans back there it'll be fine. Never had trunk issues and hope that continues.

Take a look at my attached order for an idea for cost.

As far as color of the convertible top goes, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." - Henry Ford.

order.png
This is my exact spec (minus the floor mats), glad you're up North! 😆

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
This is my exact spec (minus the floor mats), glad you're up North! 😆
What actually are the premium floor mats? Dealer added them after a change to my build and they were cheap enough for me not to care. Didn't want to push my build back over $200 lol

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
With my ADD I would go nuts with the dust landing on my black interior here in AZ with the top down. I rented a nice convertable about 10 years ago on vacation on the west coast and enjoyed it. I can see why some like them but the window of having the top down is limited no matter where you live.

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
What actually are the premium floor mats? Dealer added them after a change to my build and they were cheap enough for me not to care. Didn't want to push my build back over $200 lol
I think they are the all weather mats, and if I still lived up north it would be a must.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I think they are the all weather mats, and if I still lived up north it would be a must.
I live in SoCal 😂 might just give em to someone here for shipping cost
Sponsored