• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Convertible vibes?

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
I have a manual GT PP Convertible on order but I'm now starting to think that I might have made a mistake. A few reviewers have said that the convertible has a lot of cowl shake which translates into more chassis flex that usually weaker handling and the feeling of lesser quality. I've driven my share of shaky converts over the years, but I thought that the last ten years or so of Mustang converts that Ford had stiffened the chassis up enough to eliminate most of it. Anyone have any recent experience with an S550 convertible as far as how they feel?
Sponsored

Illini4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2017 Mustang GT
I have a 2017 GT Convertible and it's solid as a rock. My 2007 GT Convertible is another story. It can experience some flexing under rough road conditions. Not so with the 2017. I think you will be more than satisfied with the S650.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
My 2019 has never had any issues with shaking or feeling unstable. Itā€™s solid. Same system appears to be in the s650. Youā€™ll like it.

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, thatā€™s reassuring. One thing I really dislike is that feeling of the steering wheel and body shaking like they aren't connected. Last Mustang convertible I drove was a rental GT about 5 years ago and I didn't recall much shake at all..

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Keep in mind, social media "experts" are picky and needy. Putting it kindly.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

Snakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Vert, 2011 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2020 BMW X5
I have a manual GT PP Convertible on order but I'm now starting to think that I might have made a mistake. A few reviewers have said that the convertible has a lot of cowl shake which translates into more chassis flex that usually weaker handling and the feeling of lesser quality. I've driven my share of shaky converts over the years, but I thought that the last ten years or so of Mustang converts that Ford had stiffened the chassis up enough to eliminate most of it. Anyone have any recent experience with an S550 convertible as far as how they feel?
My 2010 Shelby vert was shake and bake with crazy wheel hop. Replaced w a 2011 which added Z rods to frame a stiffer suspension plus and problems solved mostly but Fastbacks will always shake less for obvious structural reasons.
The joy of driving a Convertible outweigh any shakes IMO

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last convertible I owned was a 2001 BMW MZ3 and as I recall the chassis on that was pretty torsionally stiff going over railroad tracks at speed with hardly any steering column shake. I donā€™t expect a big open 4 seater to have the same rigidity, but I also would like it to not hop and skip over minor pavement imperfections. The Mustang already weighs 200 lbs more than the closed version so i would have expected it to be somewhat resistant to chassis twist.

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
The last convertible I owned was a 2001 BMW MZ3 and as I recall the chassis on that was pretty torsionally stiff going over railroad tracks at speed with hardly any steering column shake. I donā€™t expect a big open 4 seater to have the same rigidity, but I also would like it to not hop and skip over minor pavement imperfections. The Mustang already weighs 200 lbs more than the closed version so i would have expected it to be somewhat resistant to chassis twist.
Since you went with a GT PP, did you also include the MagneRide suspension? My city has more pot holes than pavement so I'm hopeful it will make a difference on those minor pavement imperfections.

My 2012 base V6 Mustang convertible was loose as a goose on the highway at ticket-generating speeds. I'm hoping this car performs much better.

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you went with a GT PP, did you also include the MagneRide suspension? My city has more pot holes than pavement so I'm hopeful it will make a difference on those minor pavement imperfections.

My 2012 base V6 Mustang convertible was loose as a goose on the highway at ticket-generating speeds. I'm hoping this car performs much better.
Yes, got the MagnaRide. I really loaded it up with as much performance stuff as I could. I know, that doesn't make much sense on a convertible, but I am trying to offset the weight disadvantage it has over the coupe.
When I was 14 my 24 yr old old cousin bought a green '66 GT vert, 289 4bbl, Rally Pac, 4-speed. with a white top. That car still haunts me today and if I could have gotten this car in that color scheme I would have ordered it. These are the crazy things you do when you turn 71!

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
That's great! Yeah, no track days in the future with the drop top but I wanted to load it up but keep the comfort seats. Enjoy it!

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
My 2019 has never had any issues with shaking or feeling unstable. Itā€™s solid. Same system appears to be in the s650. Youā€™ll like it.
My 2020 GT convertible is 100% rock solid and tight as can be. With the top up youā€™d never know. Period. And bone stock (even rocking the ā€œdreadedā€ P Zero Neros) sheā€™s a great handler too. Iā€™ve never been able to push it hard enough on N GA mountain roads to get out of shape. Well, if you donā€™t count blind patches of wet leaves.
Sponsored