• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any OTA updates yet?

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021F150 701a 3.5tt 4x4; 1990 Mustang 5.0 coupe
Still tied to Ford Motor Company as well ...
The only way I am tied to them is the fact that I am still a customer. :wink:

So if it was final attempt what should happend next? will it be issued again but later? or i will never receive one? :cwl:
Yes, eventually it will be resent to you. There is just no way of knowing when that will be.
Sponsored

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Oxford White Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
The only way I am tied to them is the fact that I am still a customer. :wink:

Yes, eventually it will be resent to you. There is just no way of knowing when that will be.
Isn't there a "Partnership" or "Affiliation" between Ford, Jaguar and Land Rover still?

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isn't there a "Partnership" or "Affiliation" between Ford, Jaguar and Land Rover still?
Oh no. Ford sold Jaguar and Land Rover in 2008 and has had nothing to do with them since then. Ford was stamping a few engine blocks for JLR for a long time and Ford still makes the 5.0 block that JLR uses in the F-Type, Defender and a few other vehicles. However, the block itself is not of Ford's design; it's not a Coyote.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I'm not sure if there is a way to measure the modem's signal strength. Unfortunately, PTS rarely gives you a straight up answer when an OTA fails. In this last case for him, the OTA trigger was created on the server on 4/19 and that same day, "consent" was given for the update to install when he started and drove the car. For these types of OTA's, the vehicle has 14 days to download the files from the server before the OTA expires, and it didn't download a single thing. However, his vehicle pinged the server back to activate the OTA trigger, so his car is talking to the mothership.
There are a couple of apps one can use to test the various signals and strengths but without knowing the min supported by the in car (tcu) modem itā€™s shooting in the dark. Bits vs bytes throughput vs commands may potentially play a part. Getting a status or saying hello, why donā€™t you start or unlock for me is alot easier/shorter than say possibly downloading a (multi part) file. Hey, whatā€™s up, long time no see, iā€™ll call you tonight and get the scoop. Meanwhile, when returning to the batcave, little did we know the joker installed a communications blocking device (not really but the signal in the garage is so bad canā€™t even watch a full episode without buffering).

Installing vs downloading should be detectable in the logs but dunno ā€¦.

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a couple of apps one can use to test the various signals and strengths but without knowing the min supported by the in car (tcu) modem itā€™s shooting in the dark. Bits vs bytes throughput vs commands may potentially play a part. Getting a status or saying hello, why donā€™t you start or unlock for me is alot easier/shorter than say possibly downloading a (multi part) file. Hey, whatā€™s up, long time no see, iā€™ll call you tonight and get the scoop. Meanwhile, when returning to the batcave, little did we know the joker installed a communications blocking device (not really but the signal in the garage is so bad canā€™t even watch a full episode without buffering).

Installing vs downloading should be detectable in the logs but dunno ā€¦.
Installing and downloading is shown on the log. That's exactly it. I'm his case, it did neither. Not the first time I ever see that happen, tbh. Just never been able to figure out any it happens.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installing and downloading is shown on the log. That's exactly it. I'm his case, it did neither. Not the first time I ever see that happen, tbh. Just never been able to figure out any it happens.
So the car said hey iā€™m here, iā€™ll take that download but when it came time to downloading it gets a busy signal? Just wondering if the world rotated when it was time to download (thats a reference to losing signal even while standing still)

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the car said hey iā€™m here, iā€™ll take that download but when it came time to downloading it gets a busy signal? Just wondering if the world rotated when it was time to download (thats a reference to losing signal even while standing still)
šŸ¤£ Even if that is the case, the world turned 14 times before the update expired, so you can rule that out.

This is what a successful non-inhibit OTA looks like in PTS. After the interrogator posts the log, the file deployment commences. His car never made it to that part even though it met the prerequisites for it.

S650 Mustang Any OTA updates yet? OTA trigger step 3

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
šŸ¤£ Even if that is the case, the world turned 14 times before the update expired, so you can rule that out.

This is what a successful non-inhibit OTA looks like in PTS. After the interrogator posts the log, the file deployment commences. His car never made it to that part even though it met the prerequisites for it.

OTA trigger step 3.png
But is it in the same spot each time. We have a road over near that no matter the service provider its a dead zone. Maybe running out to the store the car exits the low signal zone but returns each night.

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Oxford White Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
Oh no. Ford sold Jaguar and Land Rover in 2008 and has had nothing to do with them since then. Ford was stamping a few engine blocks for JLR for a long time and Ford still makes the 5.0 block that JLR uses in the F-Type, Defender and a few other vehicles. However, the block itself is not of Ford's design; it's not a Coyote.
Ok. I've been removed from that side of the Automotive scene for many years. I thought there was still some connection.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Yea, at least sixteen ... :cwl:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To quote breeves002 over on mach-e forum: ā€˜I was doing some light readingā€¦ā€™
The below is from ā€˜21 and is apparently for the mach-e, some items may or may not apply however the overview of the systems, functions, and process may be helpful:

ā€œI was doing some light reading in the WSM and wanted to share what I found about OTA updates. I'm marking general points of interest in bold then quoting those excerpts.

System Diagram:
4 modules use an 'ethernet' network (its a 2 wire custom bus) to communicate. Everything else communicates via CAN. There are 6 CAN networks in the MME. HS 1 to 4, FD-CAN (adjustable datarate) and MS. There are also some other FD CAN or local CAN/LIN networks to communicate direct between modules or modules that are not CAN networked but need to have a data stream for some various reason.
S650 Mustang Any OTA updates yet? mme-ota1-

Out of the 44 possible modules in the vehicle (depends on trim/options) 37 are able to be updated over the air. Here is the list:

S650 Mustang Any OTA updates yet? mme-module-list-ota-

The modules that cannot be updated are the ACM (Audio Control Module), BCMC (Body Control Module C, or battery junction box/fuse box under hood), BECMB (Battery energy control module B), DSP (B&O), GSM (Gear shift module), OCS (occupant classification system/passenger seat airbag sensor), RGTM (rear gate/trunk module), and the WACM (wireless phone charger). I think this list of modules makes sense to not require updates considering what they do. The actual audio system/sirius receiver/DSP seem like an update should be available but they didn't implement it. Things like the BCMC are just a fusebox, and the BECMB/OCS are airbag system related modules separate from the main RCM.

Erase and replace vs ABA swap:
"Erase and Replace Modules
Many modules on the vehicle need to be erased before new data can be installed. The software installation process can take up to 40 minutes to complete. Updates to these modules need to be scheduled and specific vehicle conditions must be met for the update to be initiated.

ABA Swap Configuration Modules
For modules that have an ABA swap configuration the update is applied to the B portion of the module while the vehicle continues to reference the data in the A portion. The module will reference the new data once a key cycle has completed."

A basic overview:
" Over The Air (OTA) module updates are released from the Ford cloud and received by the vehicle GWM over the vehicle cellular and WiFi connection. The TCU WiFi and cellular connection is used to connect the vehicle to the Ford data cloud and pass the data to the GWM over its Ethernet network connection. The download of OTA updates from the cloud to the GWM occurs seamlessly in the background. Once the download from the cloud to the GWM has completed, the GWM manages the software update installation to the receiving module(s). The module updates are communicated between the GWM and the receiving modules over the Ethernet network, for Ethernet connected modules and the controller area networks (CAN), for all other modules, dependent on the update protocols.

For vehicles capable of receiving over the air updates there are 2 general types of update; Scheduled updates and Non Scheduled updates. If it is determined the update installation to the module requires the vehicle to be disabled for the installation process to complete, an installation update icon will appear on the vehicle display screen to inform the user to schedule a convenient time for the update to take place.

Vehicle status and operational preconditions must be met for all over the air (OTA) update software installations to complete, scheduled or unscheduled. Battery state of charge is an important factor that is considered before an update is started. The GWM is aware of the length of time required to update a given module and compares this against the battery state of charge. If it determines that the battery state of charge is not high enough to support the update, the update is cancelled. Other preconditions that must be met before an OTA update is installed. The PTS software update dashboard displays the preconditions applicable to your vehicle. The preconditions can include but are not limited to, the following:
Electronic Steering Column Lock (ESCL) is engaged
Steering tension torque, no torque is applied to the steering wheel
A diagnostic self-test is not active
No Charging faults are reported
Ignition status, Ignition Off
Ignition status, Accessory functionality Off
The battery voltage is within the required range
The vehicle is stopped PRNDL in park
Parking brake is applied
Charging is not in Progress ( hybrid or EV high voltage battery charging/LIII
The hazard indicators are off
The alarm is not sounding
The engine is not running
All doors and liftgate are closed
The parking lights are off
Limp home mode is not active
Illuminated exit is not active
The brake pedal is not being pressed
The battery voltage is within the required range
The windows are closed and not operating
eCall is not active
Remote start is not active
Vehicle theft (SVS) is not active
Remote park assist is not active
Neutral tow is not active
4x4 high/Low is not active
A DTC requiring vehicle service, is not present in the module targeted for the update.

The vehicle must be off for a minimum of 5 minutes before the GWM will attempt the target module update, scheduled or unscheduled. The GWM confirms the 5 minute off condition is met, all other preconditions are met and the battery status can support the update process before initiating the module update(s).

Note: The GWM considers the battery life while the module programming action is active and the vehicle is off, to be a maximum of 40 minutes. With the deterioration of the state of charge increasing after the 5 minute period with the vehicle off before starting any update, the maximum download time allowable is approximately 10 minutes. "

Some other interesting snippets:
" All module software update files are downloaded from the Ford data cloud by the GWM to the GWM through the vehicle WiFi or cellular connection, expect for APIM SYNC software files, which are passed through the GWM to the APIM. Updates to the APIM module are driven by the GWM. "

It appears the gateway module (GWM) has a decent amount of on board storage to be able to download and then distribute updates. Some updates like the IPMA can be multiple gigabytes in size.

More info on Gateway Module:
"The GWM serves as the programming manager for over the air software updates completed for target modules. Depending on the modules involved the gateway module may store the update or just relay the update to the target module. The gateway module acts as a router or hub for the Ethernet networks and is also connected to the vehicle CAN. Software updates can be deployed from the GWM to target modules using either CAN or Ethernet networks."

The WSM also talks about signal strength for cellular downloads:
" The vehicle has 2 sources of connection to the Ford data cloud, vehicle WiFi and vehicle cellular data. The vehicle is required to have a minimum of 3 bars signal at the location where the vehicle is parked over night, to make sure OTA updates are completed without delays. "

There are 3 types of updates:
" There are a number of OTA update sub types as described below.
Simple: These are update releases that generally affect a single module.
Coordinated: These are update releases that may affect a number of modules and requires each module to be at a specific version.
Non Coordinated: update may include multiple modules in each update, however does not require all modules to be at a specific software version. "

Cancelling updates while installing:
" The customer does not have the direct ability to cancel an OTA system software update. There are a few reasons why an update may be canceled.

Ford Motor Company can cancel the update at any time before the installation of the update is complete.
If the automatic updates setting has been toggled to OFF, with the vehicle connectivity selection still enabled, the update will expire after a period of time if a manual update icon is not available from the vehicle display screen determined based on currently installed software.
A master reset can cancel an ongoing update. "

Update history can be seen in PTS along with a ton of other info about previous software, etc. It says release notes will be available in PTS as well but I'm not sure if it is different than the public release notes. It will also show in progress updates."

USB Updates (applies to only APIM, IPMA, IPC, TCU, and maybe GWM):
"Updating Modules Using The Diagnostic Scan Tool
Modules with an Ethernet network connection can be updated through the diagnostic scan tool, using the USB flash method. A 32 GB USB drive formatted to exFAT can be used to transfer software to the Ethernet connected modules. Connect the appropriate exFAT format USB drive to the diagnostic scan tool and follow the on screen prompts to complete the software download."

There are a few more parts I left out. A large section on scheduled updates that we already know, and some other basic info we already know such as notifications and that you have to turn automatic updates on for them to be automatic...

All of the quoted information and images is copyright Ford Motor Company and I am providing it here for educational purposes for forum members.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021ā€

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ota-updates-technical-info.4923/#post-143851

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Zig Most of that info is still accurate. Since then, we have learned that the ACM, DSP, BCM and BECM can be updated via OTA.

Also, some of the prerequisites like parking brake being on and lights being set to off have been debunked as necessary for an OTA to go through.

Not sure if I posted it here or not yet, but here is the write-up I did explaining the steps within the two types of OTA's:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...p-by-step-breakdown-of-the-ota-process.20875/
Sponsored

Reactions: Zig