• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The interior spy pix have already revealed that Ford is going to make the massive mistake of deleting physical hvac controls. A form of stupidity that the big European manufacturers are already reversing in their latest designs. The S650 dashboard looks to be a total disaster.
BMW has it down. Top notch Touch controls are there PLUS very intuitive physical controls on a press able dial. It’s amazing. Don’t know why everyone doesn’t do it like that. Ford went the touch only route a long time ago with SYNC and had to admit it was a bad move. They restored tactile features after that. Interesting how history repeats itself when its lessons aren’t learned.
Sponsored

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
as it should. Android auto as an option is fine. The only option? Nasty.
The Android Automotive OS is quite different from Android Auto OS. Apple has actually created a CarPlay app for the Android Automotive Infotainment Systems which are already in the new Volvos. Maybe Ford will do to the same thing in 2024 when it installs the system in their vehicles.

Last edited:
OP
OP

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
The Android Automotive OS is quite different from Android Auto OS. Apple has actually created a CarPlay app for the Android Automotive Infotainment Systems which are already in the new Volvos. Maybe Ford will do to the same thing in 2024 when it installs the system in their vehicles.
I think it's safe to assume that Ford will implement both, Android and Apple. Besides, Apple is doing the major job here in creating carplay for the new Android OS car system. Ford is at best "personalizing" the system ;)

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yes, Android Auto and Android Automotive are two completely different products and have very little to do with each other. Android auto is the android phone version of carplay. Android automotive is the operating system running underneath the cars built-in user interface. It can be “skinned” to the OEMs specs and it may even still be called Sync on the outside. The fact that it will be running android underneath should be completely invisible to the customer.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess Ford is sticking with Sync 4 for a bit longer :(
According to their own press release, they are keeping Sync 4a until late 2023 or early 2024 until they get the Android Automotive software in place.

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
According to their own press release, they are keeping Sync 4a until late 2023 or early 2024 until they get the Android Automotive software in place.
I was hoping that statement was referring to model year, not calendar year. With this much lead time, maybe they can make the switch from Sync 4 to Automotive OS available as a dealer procedure.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was hoping that statement was referring to model year, not calendar year. With this much lead time, maybe they can make the switch from Sync 4 to Automotive OS available as a dealer procedure.
Ford delays Android Automotive, confirms 2022 models, F-150 Lightning included, can’t be upgraded

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/04/ford-delays-switch-to-android-automotive-until-2023/

Just read this article quoting Jim Farley. He says that Ford is ditching Sync 4 in favour of Google based Android Automotive. He says that they don't want a genertic infotainmentsystem for the Mustang and that early F150 Lightnings have to be shipped with the old Sync 4 due to some delay, which cannot be updated to Android Automotive.

I'm looking forward to that as Google has hands down the best maps and since the interior is somewhat generic from what we've seen this far, a non generic infotainment would be much appreciated.
Google’s split-screen Android Auto revamp is rolling out now. ."..After a big delay, Google's big revamp of Android Auto is finally here. This new version of Android Auto puts a big focus on a new split-screen interface, which is a lot more flexible than the old, rigid Android Auto display. This update was first shown off at Google I/O and promised in the summer of 2022, but somehow that got pushed back to CES 2023. Car apps have a lot of safety regulations to go through. .."

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
Google’s split-screen Android Auto revamp is rolling out now. ."..After a big delay, Google's big revamp of Android Auto is finally here. This new version of Android Auto puts a big focus on a new split-screen interface, which is a lot more flexible than the old, rigid Android Auto display. This update was first shown off at Google I/O and promised in the summer of 2022, but somehow that got pushed back to CES 2023. Car apps have a lot of safety regulations to go through. .."
That is Android auto not android automotive.

Android Automotive is when the cars infotainment system is running a Android OS natively, e.g like Polestar 2. Android Auto is essentially running on your phone and your cars infotainment system mirrors that.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ford delays Android Automotive, confirms 2022 models, F-150 Lightning included, can’t be upgraded
I am not sure I'm understanding you right - are you saying Ford confirming Android Automotive for 2022 models? For example 2022 Mustang has SYNC 3, which isn't even highest SYNC and F150 the same, they aren't running Android Automotive AFAIK, that's coming for future Fords.

Yes as others said, that's the Android Auto "Coolwalk" update they announced for summer 2022 and just missed the mark by only 6+ months. :facepalm:
It is very much similar to CarPlay's home screen where you can have multiple apps like music + navigation on the same screen, about dang time.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
As an Android and WIndows user I am not opposed to this as we could get some really slick updates as time goes on. I just hope it is restricted to the infotainment side of things and not interfacing with the PCM. Wishful thinking I'm sure. I like Google's software so having it in my new car doesn't bother me. I have the OG Sync 1 powered by Microsoft in my F150. Is it perfect? Gosh no! Is it good enough? Definitely gets the job done and is more reliable than my daughter's Toyota infotainment system which is 5 years newer. Leave anything developed by Apple on the table. Not interested!

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I wasn’t aware Ford was ditching Sync. This is actually great news. I’m all for Android options. Finally, something good about the S650. Finally.

OP
OP

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
There should be a law against removing physical buttons for basic vehicle functions. Even if you employ a thousand former Apple and Tesla designers it will still be unergonomical and outright dangerous.
Sponsored