• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Aftermarket OEM Active Exhaust

notacarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2024 Mustang GT Premium NPP, PP
Hey! It's notacarguy here. As the confusing title suggests, I currently don't have an active exhaust, but I do want one! But as I'm not a car guy, I'd love to not look like an idiot when discussing this with dealerships/shops. So, I'll look like an idiot here instead:
1. Can I have Ford install their OEM active exhaust? And if so, how much would that cost, d'ya think? If I recall correctly, if you optioned with it, it was about $1600. I expect to pay at least that + installation fees, but I have no idea how much those fees would be. Any ballpark estimate would be nice.
2. If Ford can do that (I reckon they can), would they install quad tips too since that was the only way to get factory quads on an S650? Or would I keep my dual tips? I assume I'd keep dual tips since installing quads would require some cutting, but I'm not the brightest cookie in the toolbox, so I figured I'd ask.
3. Should I even go with Ford? Or should I get an aftermarket one? If so, any suggestions?
4. As far as aftermarket active exhausts go, I can't seem to wrap my head around how you'd control it. I know the OEM AE is through the screen. Would an aftermarket one be able to do that too? Or maybe it changes with drive mode? Can't find anything very specific online.

Thanks in advance and sorry if these questions make you question whether I should be able to drive a car or not.
Sponsored

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
Hey! It's notacarguy here. As the confusing title suggests, I currently don't have an active exhaust, but I do want one! But as I'm not a car guy, I'd love to not look like an idiot when discussing this with dealerships/shops. So, I'll look like an idiot here instead:
1. Can I have Ford install their OEM active exhaust? And if so, how much would that cost, d'ya think? If I recall correctly, if you optioned with it, it was about $1600. I expect to pay at least that + installation fees, but I have no idea how much those fees would be. Any ballpark estimate would be nice.
2. If Ford can do that (I reckon they can), would they install quad tips too since that was the only way to get factory quads on an S650? Or would I keep my dual tips? I assume I'd keep dual tips since installing quads would require some cutting, but I'm not the brightest cookie in the toolbox, so I figured I'd ask.
3. Should I even go with Ford? Or should I get an aftermarket one? If so, any suggestions?
4. As far as aftermarket active exhausts go, I can't seem to wrap my head around how you'd control it. I know the OEM AE is through the screen. Would an aftermarket one be able to do that too? Or maybe it changes with drive mode? Can't find anything very specific online.

Thanks in advance and sorry if these questions make you question whether I should be able to drive a car or not.
Hey.

Another idiot here who didn't takethe active exhaust. I got GT and I am trying to figure out how to retorfit the AE. It seems you have some options. You can go aftermarket active exhuast that designed to be replaced oem AE. However, you will need follow:
1*JR3Z-14A411-J wiring harness (Y harness)
2*JR3Z-14A411-H wiring harnesses (from Y to actuator)
2* JR3Z-6554-A Exhaust Valve Actuator

and exhuast follow:

MBRP S72553CF For Mustang GT 3" Cat-Back Quad Tip
Flowmaster 818159/818164 Outlaw Axle-back 3" Exhaust Kit With Active Exhaust
MRT 91U921
or Ford performance parts (crazy pricey)

M-5230-M5EC M-5230-M5EB
M-5230-M5ECVA M-5230-M5EBVA
M-5230-M5SCVA M-5230-M5SBVA Sport loudness
M-5200-M5ECVA M-5200-M5EBVA cat-back full package

after you install all of them, it seems you need to access your car through Forscan to change some codes follow:

Instrument Panel Control (IPC)

720-06-01 xxxx xxxx x*-- Selectable Drive Mode (SDM) • Dual Exhausts (DE) • Exhaust Mode Button (EMB) • Eco Mode RTT (EMRTT) (EMB=Exhaust mode selection in the centerstack)

720-10-01 *xxx xxxx xx-- Transmission Temperature Curve (TTC) • Tunable Exhausts (TE) • Cross Traffic Message (CTM)

Accessory Protocol Interface Module(APIM) (SYNC)

7D0-09-03 xxxx xxx* xx-- Drive Control Menu (DCM) • Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) • Tunable Exhausts (TE) • Engine Rev Match (ERM)

7D0-09-05 xxxx x*xx xx-- FoE Seatbelt Warning Strategy (FESWS) • Quiet Time Exhaust Mode (QTEM) • Clear Exit Assist (CEA)

Audio Control Module(ACM)

727-01-03 xxxx xxxx x*-- Auto Tow Haul Signal (ATHS) • Active Exhaust Signal (AES)

but again, I haven't done it yet. I am still researching before I get through because I don't think I have a wire to connect to the Y harness.

Try at your own risk.

OP
OP

notacarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2024 Mustang GT Premium NPP, PP
Hey.

Another idiot here who didn't takethe active exhaust. I got GT and I am trying to figure out how to retorfit the AE. It seems you have some options. You can go aftermarket active exhuast that designed to be replaced oem AE. However, you will need follow:
1*JR3Z-14A411-J wiring harness (Y harness)
2*JR3Z-14A411-H wiring harnesses (from Y to actuator)
2* JR3Z-6554-A Exhaust Valve Actuator

and exhuast follow:

MBRP S72553CF For Mustang GT 3" Cat-Back Quad Tip
Flowmaster 818159/818164 Outlaw Axle-back 3" Exhaust Kit With Active Exhaust
MRT 91U921
or Ford performance parts (crazy pricey)

M-5230-M5EC M-5230-M5EB
M-5230-M5ECVA M-5230-M5EBVA
M-5230-M5SCVA M-5230-M5SBVA Sport loudness
M-5200-M5ECVA M-5200-M5EBVA cat-back full package

after you install all of them, it seems you need to access your car through Forscan to change some codes follow:

Instrument Panel Control (IPC)

720-06-01 xxxx xxxx x*-- Selectable Drive Mode (SDM) • Dual Exhausts (DE) • Exhaust Mode Button (EMB) • Eco Mode RTT (EMRTT) (EMB=Exhaust mode selection in the centerstack)

720-10-01 *xxx xxxx xx-- Transmission Temperature Curve (TTC) • Tunable Exhausts (TE) • Cross Traffic Message (CTM)

Accessory Protocol Interface Module(APIM) (SYNC)

7D0-09-03 xxxx xxx* xx-- Drive Control Menu (DCM) • Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) • Tunable Exhausts (TE) • Engine Rev Match (ERM)

7D0-09-05 xxxx x*xx xx-- FoE Seatbelt Warning Strategy (FESWS) • Quiet Time Exhaust Mode (QTEM) • Clear Exit Assist (CEA)

Audio Control Module(ACM)

727-01-03 xxxx xxxx x*-- Auto Tow Haul Signal (ATHS) • Active Exhaust Signal (AES)

but again, I haven't done it yet. I am still researching before I get through because I don't think I have a wire to connect to the Y harness.

Try at your own risk.
Phew, that's a lot. Thank you for the info!

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
Phew, that's a lot. Thank you for the info!
I am still working on it.

I changed my tires yesterday and had a chance to take a look under my car. I didn't see any connector for the AE harness though. I will let you know if I get something new.
Hopefully your mustang has the connector then you don't need to put another wire from the engine fuse box and work on solenoid wire work.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
looks like it might be possible to retrofit it. here are some part numbers i found and their retail price. i make no promise that it actually is possible, but want to help further research into if it is or not
Part NumberPart DescriptionFor...Retail PrcieQuantity Needed
PR3Z-14A411-CWiring HarnessGT and EcoBoost$601
PR3Z-14A411-AWiring HarnessGT and EcoBoost$442
PR3Z-5230-ALExhaust SystemEcoBoost$28891
PR3Z-5230-FExhaust SystemGT$39181
PR3Z-17F828-CADiffuserGT and EcoBoost
Without parking sensors
$5161
PR3Z-17F828-DADiffuserGT and EcoBoost
With parking sensors
$5931
the reason why you need a whole exhaust is become some of the active exhaust parts can only be gotten via ordering a whole system. you can also choose any of the active aftermarket systems you want.

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
For what it's worth, I emailed a ford dealership/service center with these parts, and they said either do it yourself or find a willing mechanic because the process involved would be expensive and require multiple days to install and reprogram the computer. So sounds like it is possible, but be prepared to fork over lots of money for installation.

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
looks like it might be possible to retrofit it. here are some part numbers i found and their retail price. i make no promise that it actually is possible, but want to help further research into if it is or not
Part NumberPart DescriptionFor...Retail PrcieQuantity Needed
PR3Z-14A411-CWiring HarnessGT and EcoBoost$601
PR3Z-14A411-AWiring HarnessGT and EcoBoost$442
PR3Z-5230-ALExhaust SystemEcoBoost$28891
PR3Z-5230-FExhaust SystemGT$39181
PR3Z-17F828-CADiffuserGT and EcoBoost
Without parking sensors
$5161
PR3Z-17F828-DADiffuserGT and EcoBoost
With parking sensors
$5931
the reason why you need a whole exhaust is become some of the active exhaust parts can only be gotten via ordering a whole system. you can also choose any of the active aftermarket systems you want.
You missed 2 * exhaust actuators that wiring harnesses connect to.

As long as all non-AE model that has a extra plug for AE, it seems easy to retrofit the AE. Quadtip-Diffuser seems it's optional. You can cut the existing diffuser to make that fit quadtip.

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
For what it's worth, I emailed a ford dealership/service center with these parts, and they said either do it yourself or find a willing mechanic because the process involved would be expensive and require multiple days to install and reprogram the computer. So sounds like it is possible, but be prepared to fork over lots of money for installation.
I contacted Ford dealerships to get a quote and most of them gave me $5000 CAD. It's ridic I'd do it on my own and will keep updating.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
You missed 2 * exhaust actuators that wiring harnesses connect to.

As long as all non-AE model that has a extra plug for AE, it seems easy to retrofit the AE. Quadtip-Diffuser seems it's optional. You can cut the existing diffuser to make that fit quadtip.
while you can get the actuators individually, there is some mounting hardware you need that can only be gotten by ordering a full cat-bwck exhaust system, and that system includes actuators

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
while you can get the actuators individually, there is some mounting hardware you need that can only be gotten by ordering a full cat-bwck exhaust system, and that system includes actuators
I didn't know that some full systems come with the actuators. Did you have chance to take a look under your Mustang? Just curious if your car has a plug for active exhaust then you only need to get Y-harness and 2 wiring harnesses.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know that some full systems come with the actuators. Did you have chance to take a look under your Mustang? Just curious if your car has a plug for active exhaust then you only need to get Y-harness and 2 wiring harnesses.
my mustang came with active exhaust standard, but i will take a look at some stock units my dealer has

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
looks like it is just that Y wiring harness.
pictures from a non-ae mustang
S650 Mustang Aftermarket OEM Active Exhaust 1000006510

S650 Mustang Aftermarket OEM Active Exhaust 1000006507

and a mustang with ae
S650 Mustang Aftermarket OEM Active Exhaust 1000006508

S650 Mustang Aftermarket OEM Active Exhaust 1000006509

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
my mustang came with active exhaust standard, but i will take a look at some stock units my dealer has
Thanks I appreciate it. I will also check my non-AE and post some pics here.

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
looks like it is just that Y wiring harness.
pictures from a non-ae mustang
1000006510.jpg

1000006507.jpg

and a mustang with ae
1000006508.jpg

1000006509.jpg
Are they connected to what ? As far as I know, on non-ae s550 models, the harness isn’t connected to anything. Mine doesn’t have the wire so it seems I need to wiring work from the battery or PCM sigh !

S650 Mustang Aftermarket OEM Active Exhaust IMG_1207

S650 Mustang Aftermarket OEM Active Exhaust IMG_1205

S650 Mustang Aftermarket OEM Active Exhaust IMG_1204

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
Are they connected to what ? As far as I know, on non-ae s550 models, the harness isn’t connected to anything. Mine doesn’t have the wire so it seems I need to wiring work from the battery or PCM sigh !

IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1205.jpeg

IMG_1204.jpeg
you are looking too far forwards. the wiring and actuators are at the very back. the harness that splits to power the actuators runs through the trunk. lift up the spare cover and look at the far back part. on the left is a wire that runs through a rubber grommet. that wire re appears underneath right next to a plastic box that has some evap stuff in it. the actuators themselves would be on the inner exhaust tips, after the muffler. do note i am taking about the S650
Sponsored