• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Acceleration standard/dark horse - manual vs auto

Strike_Eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw M340i
So according to the configurator 0-100km/h times are quoted as follows:

-standard manual ----5.4 sec
-standard auto -------5.0 sec
-dark horse manual --5.2 sec (tremec)
-dark horse auto -----4.4 sec

Standard has 446hp, dark horse 453hp, only 7hp difference. Obviously gearing is different, however...is there really such a big difference in acceleration with an automatic dark horse?
I would like the get the manual because I think it's more fun on this car...but I'm afraid it will feel considerably slower.
Sponsored

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
So according to the configurator 0-100km/h times are quoted as follows:

-standard manual ----5.4 sec
-standard auto -------5.0 sec
-dark horse manual --5.2 sec (tremec)
-dark horse auto -----4.4 sec

Standard has 446hp, dark horse 453hp, only 7hp difference. Obviously gearing is different, however...is there really such a big difference in acceleration with an automatic dark horse?
I would like the get the manual because I think it's more fun on this car...but I'm afraid it will feel considerably slower.
The gear ratios on the tremec are not as friendly as the GT manual, so the GT manual has a quicker 1/4 mile time.

The Dark Horse was designed with the tremec for race track vs the dragstrip. That is one reason for the specified ratio's in the tremec.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
You’ll see a lot of car reviews stating for acceleration, go with the auto. But if want the more engaging experience, go with the manual. I personally opted for the manual because I miss rowing the gears. As well as, my previous vehicle experience, mind you it was an F-150 with the 1st gen 10 speed auto, was meh. I drove 80,000 miles and there were a few times it was just clunky. I personally think if the auto wouldn’t skip gears when upshifting and downshifting, it might lead to a better experience.

OP
OP

Strike_Eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw M340i
You’ll see a lot of car reviews stating for acceleration, go with the auto. But if want[…]
Totally agree. Even the best auto gearbox is not nearly as much fun and engaging as the manual.
I just didn’t expect such a big difference in times.
Of course auto makes more sense as a daily driver, but for me it would just be a “weekend use“ car.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
The gear ratios on the tremec are not as friendly as the GT manual, so the GT manual has a quicker 1/4 mile time.

The Dark Horse was designed with the tremec for race track vs the dragstrip. That is one reason for the specified ratio's in the tremec.
The tremec(+torsen with 3:73 gearing in the DH) has shorter gearing and will surely be quicker in a sprint compared to the MT-82 with 3:55 trac-loc on the GT

Not sure why there would be so much difference with the A10 though think both would have 3:55 gearing. Maybe the have limited something in the mapping on the GT.

Last edited:

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The tremec(+torsen with 3:73 gearing in the DH) has shorter gearing and will surely be quicker in a sprint compared to the MT-82 with 3:55 trac-loc on the GT

Not sure why there would be so much difference with the A10 though think both would have 3:55 gearing. Maybe the have limited something in the mapping on the GT.
Both GT Performance Package and DH manuals come with 3.73 gearing and the autos come with 3.55 gearing. The TREMEC in the DH has slightly shorter gears than the MT if I recall correctly.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Both GT Performance Package and DH manuals come with 3.73 gearing and the autos come with 3.55 gearing. The TREMEC in the DH has slightly shorter gears than the MT if I recall correctly.
While European GTs have the Performance Package included we don't get the axle ratio that usually comes with that on US models.

The EU GT has 3.15 AT and 3.55 MT. EU Dark Horse has 3.55 AT and 3.73 MT.
It actually is a big step down from 18 GT, which already came with 3.55 AT as standard
That is the single reason why the DH AT is so much quicker than the GT AT
S650 Mustang Acceleration standard/dark horse - manual vs auto 1707307321848

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
While European GTs have the Performance Package included we don't get the axle ratio that usually comes with that on US models.

It actually is a big step down from 18 GT, which already came with 3.55 AT as standard
1707307321848.png
Interesting. I'm sure it's also due to EU emissions (i.e. improve gas mileage).

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
If I lived in Europe, not sure it would be worth it to go Mustang GT or DH over BMW M2. The quoted power of the M2 is 453 and we all know that it's really much closer to 500 at the wheels, while the DH is rated at 453 on paper and it might make that much at the crank.

What is the price difference between the two in parts of Europe?

Unless you just want that American V8 sound and some nostalgia, I'm not sure what would make the Mustang a better choice.

NicoMCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EU GT 2015
If I lived in Europe, not sure it would be worth it to go Mustang GT or DH over BMW M2. The quoted power of the M2 is 453 and we all know that it's really much closer to 500 at the wheels, while the DH is rated at 453 on paper and it might make that much at the crank.

What is the price difference between the two in parts of Europe?

Unless you just want that American V8 sound and some nostalgia, I'm not sure what would make the Mustang a better choice.
base M2 with 374HP goes for 71K and the 460HP version starts at 91k in Switzerland. So the 374 HP version is the same price as the Mach 1, presumably the DH too (the Swiss configurator is not online yet 😡 contrary to all our neighbors). Current S550 GT goes for 63K, S550 should be around that price point hopefully)

Last edited:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Since you can get like 17% discounts on M2 here in Germany (not M240i, the real 460 hp one) it starts at 64k€, Dark Horse with let's say 10% discount starts at 65k€. With options (HUD, assistants, etc) you can get the M2 in the mid-70k range. So I would say in the final price you pay the M2 should be slightly higher than a S650.

Obviously the M2 will be the much faster and more agile car. But a Mustang is not sportscar, but a Grand Tourer. V8 sound and pony car look is tough to beat. And since I drove the Steeda Q767 Mach 1 I just know what the Mustang can do with quite affordable adjustments

JohnO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES F Sport, 85 Mustang GT modified
I doubt that the AT GT is 0.6 slower 0-60 than a AT DH with the same rear gear ratio (3.55).

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
That is not how how it has been in the pass.

The GT and M1 have had the 3:55 trac-loc with the 3160/MT-82

Now at least the DH seems to get the torsen with the 3:73

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

1707307321848.png
no way! have they changed it to 3:15 with the AT. That sucks badly. Good if you want to go with a whipple or similar but stock ....

I had missed out on that part

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Since you can get like 17% discounts on M2 here in Germany (not M240i, the real 460 hp one) it starts at 64k€, Dark Horse with let's say 10% discount starts at 65k€. With options (HUD, assistants, etc) you can get the M2 in the mid-70k range. So I would say in the final price you pay the M2 should be slightly higher than a S650.

Obviously the M2 will be the much faster and more agile car. But a Mustang is not sportscar, but a Grand Tourer. V8 sound and pony car look is tough to beat. And since I drove the Steeda Q767 Mach 1 I just know what the Mustang can do with quite affordable adjustments
I just spoke with a seller. They don't offer any discounts on the DH at least :(

Since Hedin took over the Ford operations in Sweden from Ford themselves the pricing and the discounts on the Mustang at least have been very bad
Sponsored