• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

A10 Transmission whine - cause for concern or just a characteristic?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
My new GT just made it to the dealer and I went and checked it out today and took it for a drive. I'm 99% sure I heard what other's here have described as the A10 (10R80) transmission whine. I don't think I started hearing it until I was in gear and was driving away slowly. I don't recall hearing it while it was idling upon initial startup but it's possible it did and I just didn't catch on until I was in gear and driving away. I am supposed to go back tomorrow to pick it up but I do plan on taking it for another test drive so I can pay close attention to it this time from initial startup and idling all through driving it. I did have both windows down around 1/4 of the way FWIW.

I guess my main question is whether I should be concerned about this whine? It's one of those things that now that I've heard it I'm sure I'll always here it unless I'm in track mode or have the radio cranking,etc. From reading about this 'whine' here and on other message boards it sounds like not every 10R80 has the whine but lots do across multiple Ford 10R80 applications. The general consensus seems to be it's just an inherent trait (character flaw) of the 10R80 and doesn't seem to pose any long term issues. Some posts I read online mention having the dealer check the transmission fluid level as some have found their cars to be underfilled to the tune of 1-2 quarts from the factory which seems insane. I think most of those cases I came across came from S550's so maybe that was a Covid thing?

I'm curious how many of you have this A10 whine? Also if you do have it did you notice it from day 1? Once you noticed it did it get any worse or better over time? Would hearing this noise on a brand new S650 give you pause before signing on the dotted line? Would it cause you to walk away or just chalk it up to a character flaw or 10R80 trait?

Most people characterize the noise as sounding like a supercharger and some say there's is mild while some claim it's quite loud. It's just strange that some 10R80's have it and some I guess do not and the one's that do can be mild to wild on the loudness factor.
Sponsored

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
I got used to mine, heard it since day one. Specially when i have windows open at low speeds with exhaust on quiet.

it’s under warranty for 5 years. So i don’t care, i’ll enjoy it like i want and if it breaks down, i know where to go to fix it for free :)

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
mine has been there since i picked it up 8 months ago, only time it gets "louder" is after running the car hard, but even then its barely louder and after the car is cooled off/driven normal, it goes back to the original noise level. I believe this truly is a 10R80 characteristic normal noise that shouldn't cause any concern, and if it causes a problem, use that warranty up, that why you have it!

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Mine only has the whine in reverse and is very noticeable. Forward I hear nothing.

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
Official statement by Ford: (SSM 48403) 10R80 Transmission - High Pitched Whine Noise During Acceleration And Coasting.

Mustang/Ranger vehicles equipped with 10R80 transmissions may exhibit a high-pitched whine noise coming from the rear of the transmission at speeds between 30-50 km/h (18-30 MPH) during light acceleration and while coasting down. The noise will not be present when the vehicle in in NEUTRAL. This may be due to an output shaft bearing. This condition will not affect transmission durability or function. If no additional symptoms are present, do not attempt any repairs or transmission replacement at this time.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Sorry for your issues, just another reason a manual trans car is the way to go on these.
lol. was about to say. gears make noise the more you got the more whine it can have. although rear diff will make noise at times as well (not saying this is the case just mentioning - an overly tight rear will make a little er um noise)

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Curious what gears you guys that have the whine have? I came across a post last night where it was mentioned that the 3.55's might make the whine more pronounced compared to the 3.15's but they didn't provide any evidence. The GT I ordered does indeed have 3.55's so who knows. Also have any of you guys checked your transmission fluid level or had the dealer check it? Unless something has changed with the 24 I read that checking the transmission fluid is tough as it's located by the exhaust and you will most likely get burned while checking it? Maybe it's different now that Ford made some changes for MY24?

I am going to really pay attention to the whine noise when I go back for a second drive this afternoon know that I have looked into the matter and understand it a little better. I guess all evidence seems to suggest it's just something that a lot of 10R80's have and you just need to deal with it as everyone says it's 'normal.'

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Straight cut gears ⚙ unfortunately can make whining noises…