• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
As a Finance Broker I would like to agree with you, however there are a cou[le of other factors involved: (i) Accelerated Rate of Depreciation could exceed interest savings - especially on a superseded 5 year old car or the Differential between Depreciation and replacement interest rate / costs (ii) Warranty Benefit on new car (iii) The value of the degree of Pleasure you are denying yourself with a new GT!
😂 Now, I almost went there in my earlier comment. I totally agree and the used market may cool off in the next year or two. I suspect warranty benefit won't beat the cost of money here, especially because a "sale" doesn't mean "saving money" if you weren't otherwise going to buy it in the first place. (Repairs < new cost + interest) But I am the last person to disagree with your ultimate point... I always appreciate someone who can help me justify a purchase on other grounds. 😊👍😇
Sponsored

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
You are actually at a disadvantage with a trade in. If they plan on putting it on their used car lot, they have enough profit in it to come out ahead. Some of this profit might come from not letting you bargain down as much as possible. Other times they may not need the trade it or it's not worth it for resale so they will sell it to one of the used car only dealers. Because you never get to see those numbers you don't know just how much profit the dealer is getting. If you have somebody who wants to buy the car from you or you want to pass it to a family member, you might be better off going that way.
If you're good at bargaining, probably the best way to go is not to trade in. Unfortunately I am not in this class and don't really know how much you can push the purchasing price down.
As for deprecation on a new vehicle, you take the biggest hit the moment you drive it off the lot. The longer you own the vehicle, the less deprecation you take each year. My 96 mustang cost about $27,000 new so my deprecation on it is currently less than $1,000 a year. :)
You forgot to mention that when you trade a car in the traded in value will reduce the sale price of the car you are buying, which lowers your sales tax you pay on the new vehicle. I worked in auto finance for years. I gave him the best info I could without knowing his exact situation.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I forgot to say thanks to everyone who helped me out. I still can't say I'm buying a GT any faster than I'm currently planning to (that is, in two years time from August), but at least I have a better idea of what to do if an opportunity to do so comes up. :)
Sponsored