• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 GT Active Exhaust = Yea or Nay?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I now have a GT on order and really never gave a second thought about the Active Exhaust until watching some videos about it. Curious to know what the general consensus here is regarding the AE?

How quiet is the AE setting when it's on quiet cruising down the freeway? Does it make it sound like a normal car? The more I think about it I think it would be nice to have the car be pretty quiet when going on an out of town trip on the freeway for instance. But maybe the regular exhaust on the GT isn't too loud at freeway speeds but I have read comments about how the drone from the exhaust can get annoying on trips, etc?

The frugal part of me says what happens if the AE breaks or has issues years down the road - I wonder how much that'll cost? Anyway just looking for opinions on if the AE is worth it or not. I think the stock GT exhaust sounds great to me so I guess I'm coming from an angle of maybe it would be nice to make it quieter like I mentioned. In that regard how much quieter does the quiet mode make it compared to the stock GT exhaust?

I know there are other benefits such as quad tips and the added 6 horses so that's not all bad either. Just curious what the opinions are here from the ones that have AE on their 24's.
Sponsored

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I now have a GT on order and really never gave a second thought about the Active Exhaust until watching some videos about it. Curious to know what the general consensus here is regarding the AE?

How quiet is the AE setting when it's on quiet cruising down the freeway? Does it make it sound like a normal car? The more I think about it I think it would be nice to have the car be pretty quiet when going on an out of town trip on the freeway for instance. But maybe the regular exhaust on the GT isn't too loud at freeway speeds but I have read comments about how the drone from the exhaust can get annoying on trips, etc?

The frugal part of me says what happens if the AE breaks or has issues years down the road - I wonder how much that'll cost? Anyway just looking for opinions on if the AE is worth it or not. I think the stock GT exhaust sounds great to me so I guess I'm coming from an angle of maybe it would be nice to make it quieter like I mentioned. In that regard how much quieter does the quiet mode make it compared to the stock GT exhaust?

I know there are other benefits such as quad tips and the added 6 horses so that's not all bad either. Just curious what the opinions are here from the ones that have AE on their 24's.
I personally have the AE with a steed a H pipe and love it just as much if not more than my MBRP full exhaust i had on the S550. The quiet is just that, big night and day difference. When I'm heading home from work at 7am, its really nice to run the Track exhaust option until i hit the subdivision and then with the click of my favorites button, its very quiet to not wake everyone up. pair the AE with long tubes and a Reso delete and you have an amazing sound that should satisfy all of your itches for loud V8 and quiet when needed. As far as drone, I don't feel like there is any even doing 90 consistently with track exhaust open. the 10Spd does a good job at keeping the rpms in check when running consistent highway speeds so your not screaming all the time. I was iffy when i placed my order as well but i don't regret getting it at all.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
How quiet is the AE setting when it's on quiet cruising down the freeway? Does it make it sound like a normal car?

In that regard how much quieter does the quiet mode make it compared to the stock GT exhaust?

First off, if you can afford it, why not? I love it personally, though nothing about this car, even quiet mode, will make it sound like a normal caršŸ˜Ž

Quiet mode is a slight drop though even at cruising speeds, the pure V8 growl is there. Personally I just turn up the radio if I want to limit the exhaust sound.

Not to mention the other modes you get to boost the noise when desired, love Sport Mode myself. Oh and the quad tips look awesome.

If I would not have added AE now after owning it, I would regret it

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
most definite ā€˜yeaā€™. Only one setting without and options with, even if it breaks it still ā€˜worksā€™ (disconnect the valves and itā€™s just plain). Who knows maybe thereā€™ll be a hack and have different ā€˜engineā€™ tunes load from the selection.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I have AE in a 2022; if updating or changing your order is an option, I'd definitely consider it.

The overall advantage it gives you is the sound of the exhaust is tailored to the drive mode you're in. An additional advantage is you can set the car to start in "Quiet" mode, something appreciated for those in open parking and leaving in the early AM.

HP? If on a dyno, I'd think something could be measured between quiet and track modes, but it won't be significant. The option is more for the driving experience, not power.

Why would I not want AE? If I knew I was going to install a custom exhaust, headers-to-tail, cat-back or axle-back, AE might not be worthwhile.

The actuators in the back can become stuck on occasion, but there are several threads explaining how to fix that. It often involves a bit of manual manipulation or lubrication. Nothing significant.

I haven't noticed anything with respect to drone. I'm often in Sport+ mode as soon as I'm out of the driveway. The sound of an exhaust can be quite personal. Some Owners like to tune theirs for a particular note. I'm happy with the factory AE.

Last edited:

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I have active exhaust on both my S550 and S650, I usually drive around in track mode because I love the sound but on long rides or early in the AM I use the quiet mode. It still sounds great in the quiet mode BTW.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Another one with Active Exhaust here. Definitely would recommend it for a few personal reasons.

Quiet mode is quite nice when you live next to a Karen, as well as will help avoid making other neighbors annoyed with you. In addition, for long commutes (and over 70 MPH), keeping the vehicle in 6th gear (or 10th for auto) and the exhaust in "Quiet" mode, the ride will be quite relaxing.

Quad tips on the Mustang look a lot better than the dual single tips.

Lastly, Ford claims with active exhaust, you get an additional 6 HP and 3 TQ (not that you'll probably really notice, but still nice).

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
The ability to quiet the exhaust is by itself more than enough reason to get the active exhaust. If you leave for work early in the morning and don't want your neighbors to hate you, get the AEV. And if you have a wife or SO that doesn't "appreciate" the lovely sound of 480 horses (like my wife), get the AEV. And on the other end, if you want to hear your engine it all it's glory from time-to-time in full roar, get the AEV!

Reactions: DCS

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
If you leave for work early in the morning and don't want your neighbors to hate you, get the AEV. And if you have a wife or SO that doesn't "appreciate" the lovely sound of 480 horses (like my wife), get the AEV. And on the other end, if you want to hear your engine it all it's glory from time-to-time in full roar, get the AEV!
^ Great advertisement right here! :clap:

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Another one with Active Exhaust here. Definitely would recommend it for a few personal reasons.

Quiet mode is quite nice when you live next to a Karen, as well as will help avoid making other neighbors annoyed with you. In addition, for long commutes (and over 70 MPH), keeping the vehicle in 6th gear (or 10th for auto) and the exhaust in "Quiet" mode, the ride will be quite relaxing.

Quad tips on the Mustang look a lot better than the dual single tips.

Lastly, Ford claims with active exhaust, you get an additional 6 HP and 3 TQ (not that you'll probably really notice, but still nice).
So the quiet mode when cruising at speed (over 70 MPH) is decently quiet then? I think having the ability to quiet the GT would be my main angle for getting AE and the other things are just gravy.

I want to be able to hear music and carry on a conversation when I'm cruising around so just to confirm your saying quiet mode accomplishes this?

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
So the quiet mode when cruising at speed (over 70 MPH) is decently quiet then? I think having the ability to quiet the GT would be my main angle for getting AE and the other things are just gravy.

I want to be able to hear music and carry on a conversation when I'm cruising around so just to confirm your saying quiet mode accomplishes this?
I can 100% attest to this. Had the exhaust on normal and it put my kids to sleep in the back seat. Turned it to quiet and the wife and I were able to easily have a conversation at a decent volume without waking the kiddos, as well as, able to hear the radio without issue.

JohnO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES F Sport, 85 Mustang GT modified
Definitely get the active exhaust. In quiet mode, it's not super quiet like a normal car but it's less loud than without it.
My wife doesn't appreciate the loud exhaust so it helps but I told her that she's going to have to get use to it, lol.

Bruebaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT, 20 GT350, 70 Boss, 69 Mach 1, 67 Shelby

A

Bruebaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT, 20 GT350, 70 Boss, 69 Mach 1, 67 Shelby
Absolutely get the AE unless you are planning on replacing the exhaust system with an after market setup. There is no downside to AE and in life, options are good! šŸ˜Ž
Sponsored