• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
So with the Bullitt Mustang arriving soon and the GT500 due in 2020, can we still expect an updated, heavily revised or all new Mustang for 2021? Noticed this thread hasn’t been active for a while with new info. Eagerly waiting to purchase the next version as it will be my first Mustang.

“All new” Mustang by 2022MY. Same platform but different TopHat (since the “Completely New/New CD6 Platform Mustang” was cancelled). It will be a S550 based S650 under the D5 platform.

My brother is super disappointed because of this but I don’t know why, since the new plans of a heavily revised Mustang (instead of a clean sheet) are much better in my opinion.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Why do you think it's better?

A new platform would allow for heavy improvement. The current platform we're riding on will be 17 years old by the time S650 comes.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
“All new” Mustang by 2022MY. Same platform but different TopHat (since the “Completely New/New CD6 Platform Mustang” was cancelled). It will be a S550 based S650 under the D5 platform.

My brother is super disappointed because of this but I don’t know why, since the new plans of a heavily revised Mustang (instead of a clean sheet) are much better in my opinion.
I don't if you've been keeping up but almost everything and everyone close to or within the company are all saying that the Mustang will in fact be CD6 based. Heck even the woman's linkedin profile confirmed as much. The days of vehicles having their unique platforms are almost at an end and any rwd based car will utilize the CD6 architecture.

Curious who are the sources that keep claiming that a CD6 based mustang cancellation been confirmed?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

I know you're reliable source, so I read everything you type with great interest :)

I will say though.....CD6 is the basis of the new Lincoln Aviator and next-gen Explorer. Whilst I appreciate it's a concept (albeit very close to production) it was mentioned that the rear suspension of the Aviator is pretty much the same as the current S550.

So, could CD6 simply be an update of the S550 chassis?

Lets face it, even if you start with a clean sheet, surely you'd use utilise stuff that's worked well before?

Good sources on Blue Oval Forums are still saying the next Mustang will be seen for the '22MY, and it'll be CD6.

Time will tell for sure, I guess :)

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I am still hearing S550 based.

But the program is moving along. By fall they should be marching forward on what S650 is aesthetically.

I would say the Aviator is more than just a concept, it is very indicative.

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Why do you think it's better?

A new platform would allow for heavy improvement. The current platform we're riding on will be 17 years old by the time S650 comes.
Uhm.. yeah, but the original plans for the CD6 were a SMALLER Mustang so they decided to keep the proportions.

I don't if you've been keeping up but almost everything and everyone close to or within the company are all saying that the Mustang will in fact be CD6 based. Heck even the woman's linkedin profile confirmed as much. The days of vehicles having their unique platforms are almost at an end and any rwd based car will utilize the CD6 architecture.

Curious who are the sources that keep claiming that a CD6 based mustang cancellation been confirmed?
That was the plan so far, but something changed. Can’t say more about it.

I know you're reliable source, so I read everything you type with great interest :)

I will say though.....CD6 is the basis of the new Lincoln Aviator and next-gen Explorer. Whilst I appreciate it's a concept (albeit very close to production) it was mentioned that the rear suspension of the Aviator is pretty much the same as the current S550.

So, could CD6 simply be an update of the S550 chassis?

Lets face it, even if you start with a clean sheet, surely you'd use utilise stuff that's worked well before?

Good sources on Blue Oval Forums are still saying the next Mustang will be seen for the '22MY, and it'll be CD6.

Time will tell for sure, I guess :)
Everything about the new S650 mustang is a mess and difficult to get enough information especially when we are still a couple of years away. I’m going to say something though, the original plans of the S650 were for a 2021MY car... don’t you think that something *significant* changed so they had to move it one year as a 2022MY? Just think about it, it’s not written in stone yet.

Time will tell.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
IMHO, a smaller and lighter Mustang would have been a move in the right direction.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Uhm.. yeah, but the original plans for the CD6 were a SMALLER Mustang so they decided to keep the proportions..
IMHO, a smaller and lighter Mustang would have been a move in the right direction.
A smaller mustang would have been a great direction. M4-like size and proportions would be perfect for the car, especially if we could cut the overhangs and center the weight more

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Uhm.. yeah, but the original plans for the CD6 were a SMALLER Mustang so they decided to keep the proportions.

That was the plan so far, but something changed. Can’t say more about it.

Everything about the new S650 mustang is a mess and difficult to get enough information especially when we are still a couple of years away. I’m going to say something though, the original plans of the S650 were for a 2021MY car... don’t you think that something *significant* changed so they had to move it one year as a 2022MY? Just think about it, it’s not written in stone yet.

Time will tell.
I'am just going to lay this on here because at the end of the day I'am going by what people within the company have posted or said in regards to the CD6 mustang.

This was posted two months ago at the blue oval forum from someone within the company: "This has been out there for a while. Yes. Next gen Mustang will be on mod CD6... with a host of other products."

And this from an employee that worked at Ford:

Financial Analyst - Product Development
Ford Motor Company
March 2016 – Present (2 years 2 months)Greater Detroit Area

•Perform cost analyses and consolidate financials on electrical parts for CD6 platform vehicles, specifically the 2021 model year global Mustang
•Interface cross-functionally with engineers, program planners, price estimators, and purchasers to set cost targets and identify measures to achieve them
•Analyze investment opportunities in design innovation and product improvement for recommendation to senior management

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
I'am just going to lay this on here because at the end of the day I'am going by what people within the company have posted or said in regards to the CD6 mustang.

This was posted two months ago at the blue oval forum from someone within the company: "This has been out there for a while. Yes. Next gen Mustang will be on mod CD6... with a host of other products."

And this from an employee that worked at Ford:

Financial Analyst - Product Development
Ford Motor Company
March 2016 – Present (2 years 2 months)Greater Detroit Area

•Perform cost analyses and consolidate financials on electrical parts for CD6 platform vehicles, specifically the 2021 model year global Mustang
•Interface cross-functionally with engineers, program planners, price estimators, and purchasers to set cost targets and identify measures to achieve them
•Analyze investment opportunities in design innovation and product improvement for recommendation to senior management
Well, it says “2021 model year global mustang” so, that’s certainly not updated.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Well, it says “2021 model year global mustang” so, that’s certainly not updated.
What do you mean by "not updated"? The current mustang is a global vehicle and the next gen model will be no different. Also thus far Ford themselves have said that they want to sell a hybrid mustang by CY 2020 which would make it MY '21....

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Time will tell.

Absolutely. My assumption was that pushing it back to the '22MY was to ensure it utilised CD6 (with Aviator and Explorer development taking the initial lead on the platform). Who knows, may that was the plan?

I never expected CD6 to give us a smaller Mustang, so that's interesting news. Personally, whilst S550 isn't exactly small (and the reference (not yours) to preferring it to be M4 sized......well, there can't be much difference in overall size, although back seat space is much better in the M4)....packaging improvements would have been welcomed, but NOT at the expense of the great proportions S550 already has. That long nose/short trunk is a Mustang signature that needs to remain.

So, S650 will be an improved S550? I'm more than happy with that :)

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
That long nose/short trunk is a Mustang signature that needs to remain.
Agreed, but I wouldn't mind maybe seeing like 3 inches of overhang taken off the front and pushing the engine further back into the firewall (a la M4)... If they could keep the wheelbase and track similar while reducing overhangs (maybe sacrifice a bit of the INSANE amount of trunk space for a bit more back seat space as to not make the back seats unusable), then it would do a good job of keeping the perceived proportions similar (maybe more similar to Camaro proportions) while making the car smaller, more balanced, and more agile

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Caution: what you're about to see is the result of a bored office worker

So, I drew up the kind of proportions I'm picturing. the top car is the template I used and is a real picture of a 2018 Mustang. The bottom is a sketch with revised dimensions that I would like to see on the S650, but using the 2018 design, making it easier to compare. Vertical lines are drawn at the center of each wheelwell and at the frontmost and most rearward points of the car

If my measurements and calculations are correct, these revisions would increase the wheelbase by about 3.6 inches (moving the rear wheelwell more rearward in an attempt to balance out the nose-heavy car), decrease the front overhang by 2.7 inches, and decrease rear overhang by 9.1 inches (sounds extreme, but it can partially be contributed to the extended wheelbase). I feel like this would retain the great, signature Mustang look while helping the car perform better
S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed draw2.PNG
Sponsored