• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
That sounds like a conspiracy theory, not one based on facts or science. I don't read opinion pieces. I read about tech and science and engineering. I read the kind of articles that have SEM photos of battery internals, and link to relevant scientific publications (which I also read if not locked behind a paywall). The tech is not there yet, the science is reaching the current theoretical limits, and the engineers have just gotten started.
Oh by the way.... It is not a conspiracy, it’s fact.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...on-martin-pr-firm-anti-electric-vehicle-study
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I know it's late but the Plaid did a 1:30 around Laguna Seca...faster than the GT500, C8 Z51, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Lamborghini Hurracan Evo, and faster than a Ferrari F8 Tributo. Range is a good discussion point though.

My argument is 99.9% of the market will rarely track their cars and when they do its for a couple laps. We also have to think on grudge nights at a track we only get 5 passes max.

I believe what will need to happen is the infrastructure for charging needs WAY expanded, and Tesla has fast charging headed down the right path. 0 to 80% on under 30 minutes. If we had faster charging stations at tracks, and had them like gas stations I'd be happy. However it needs to get faster - can you imagine forgetting to plug your car in, and having to wait 30 minutes on your way to work lol

We are getting there...
OK, pretty impressive.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guy's I'm getting a severe case of Deja Vu. We have already had this conversation. Today's EV's are great for hauling around town, short and maybe even some moderate trips. Longer trips are fine so long as you are willing to understand, except, and adapt to the charging regiment. If you're not than staying with ICE or hybrid is the way to go. Five years from now this too will most likely change. For now lets everyone enjoy what they want and stop bickering like a bunch of old woman about it.
Now, you know I can't help myself :crackup:

1. Yes they do. But I direct you to both Ford and Tesla battery warranties that guarantee a minimum of 70% capacity over at least 8 years or 100k miles. The point? Not an issue for the majority of owners. And as manufacturing increases, battery replacement costs will come down. Musk has stated that a replacement Model 3 battery can cost as low as $

link: https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.in...3-battery-module-replacement-around-5000-7000

2. I agree, but it’s the chicken or the egg problem. Charging stations are not as prevalent as gas stations because the number of users is considerably smaller. As number of users increase, so will charging stations. (Gas stations have had over 100 years to grow to almost every street corner)

3. This is so much of a non issue that has been disproven multiple times..... If everyone that owned a car right now switched to EVs literally overnight then sure I agree with you. That’s not the case and it won’t be the case... The grid is increasing in capacity every year and can and will keep pace with EV adoption.

Link: https://www.pnnl.gov/sites/default/files/media/file/EV-AT-SCALE_1_IMPACTS_final.pdf

4. I agree. Right now they can’t fit EVERY lifestyle but they can fit the majority. In fact, almost 80% of people in the US have a commute less then 30 miles. For those people, an EV can be a direct replacement. ICE vehicles are not going to disappear overnight.... New ICE vehicles will still be a part of the market up until the 2030’s. Look at how far EVs have come in the last 10 years (pushed forward by a startup by the way) and consider that the next 10 years will likely solve the issues for the remaining people an EV might not quite fit right now.

The point I am making is that the issues you present are real, but they are not impossible to overcome and in a few cases have already been overcome. They usually do not rise to the level of severity that you think they do, and they usually have solutions in development. You want an EV to be 100% capable on day 1 and are not even willing to give it time to mature. You are unwilling to admit that current EVs can work for the majority of users and can be developed over the course of the next decade and further to be able to completely replace ICE vehicles. This transition isn’t happening overnight and no one is expecting it to happen overnight....
1. I wonder if my gas tank will be down to 11.2 gallons after 8 years...better check my warranty.

2. Problem is that if we regulate and push EV's too soon, there won't be enough built to meet demand. It's not as if every EV sold results in a charging station being built. The charging network will trail adoption if it is purely motivated by demand.

3. This is that shit I do like, thanks. Interesting read for sure. I like that they kept the scope to near term to better estimate the actual grid projections.

3a. I find it interesting that they kept the adoption of MDV's and HDV's very low in their estimate. Then at the end, they acknowledge that fast charging tech would increase the number in service. That throws a monkey wrench into the whole scenario. The greater part of fuel consumed by transportation is on shipping/freight. If there were to be equivalent MDV/HDV adoption (~10% penetration per their model), the grid would not be able to serve the demand. Again, based upon a lot of assumptions, but so is this study.

3b. You bring up at home charging as a major benefit/counter to the charging station problem. This study proposes that the best way to implement an EV plan is to allow for managed charging (V1G). This is to deal with peaking issues, transmission overload, and areas with intermittent renewables, etc. Would you been fine with your plugged in vehicle not being fully charged overnight, or possibly being forced to find a charging station during the day?

4. I want nothing more than for the tech to get there. I've just read so many articles about the next great breakthrough that never comes. This trend has persisted well into the "post Tesla" period. The topic is hot, the money is flowing, the big dogs are committed. I still don't see the solid state battery, or the self healing lithium, or any of the proposed alternative anodes. Maybe I'm jaded, maybe I'm cynical. Either way, I'm tired of hearing about what's coming around the corner. I feel like too many plans, and more importantly legislative decisions, are being made upon what could be possibly, rather that what is possible. We need to plan based on what we have now, not what we might have in 10 years.

The way you talk it sometimes sounds like you're evangelizing, rather than promoting a slow, steady adoption (which is reasonable, and I do support). It's the talk about how great they are, and how everyone should have one that rubs me the wrong way. I like the concept of the electric car. They just don't do it for me right now. I'm also sick of what I'll call the Prius Effect. I just associate any pro-EV talk with the holier-than-thou smugness of the early hybrid movement. At some point in the future, I will possibly own an EV. But only if it doesn't try to make engine noises at me. And the batteries need to not suck.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
What I'm wondering is what's going to happen to folks in apartment complexes? It's easy to have a charging station in your attached garage at home, but how does that work in a place with hundreds of residents that do the daily commute? Even if work from home schedules become a permanent thing post COVID, that seems like it would be annoying praying that a charging station will be available.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
What I'm wondering is what's going to happen to folks in apartment complexes? It's easy to have a charging station in your attached garage at home, but how does that work in a place with hundreds of residents that do the daily commute? Even if work from home schedules become a permanent thing post COVID, that seems like it would be annoying praying that a charging station will be available.
Wow - a sensible question, how did that slip in between the 'opinion' !

Good point and in the UK charging pints are being installed in street lights and other places such as parking areas so that availability will improve. They are small discrete units that are easy to use by mobile app or card.

For all the world is ending EV's can't work rubbish on here Europe is just getting on with it.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you just "bro, do you even lift" me? I don't have to eat a turd sandwich to know it tastes like shit. You go out of your way to tell us all how great the EV is, and how easy it is to live with, and how the facts about batteries simply aren't true. It's all unicorn farts and charging at home. Fine, great, good for you. I've just got one last question: bro, do you even own an s550 Mustang?
Hilarious !

Somebody who doesn't own an EV trying to tell somebody who uses one every day that they must be wrong and then the ultimate insult, he probably isn't a real man because he doesn't own a Mustang.

:cwl: :cwl: :cwl:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Always have to consider the source...on a related note, the state of peer review in the sciences is broken to a disgusting degree.
Ain't it the truth. My son told me it was almost impossible to find peer reviewed (and massively quoted) papers related to his dissertation that were not so flawed that conscience prevented them being referenced.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Always have to consider the source...on a related note, the state of peer review in the sciences is broken to a disgusting degree.
Ain't it the truth. My son told me it was almost impossible to find peer reviewed (and massively quoted) papers related to his dissertation that were not so flawed that conscience prevented them being referenced.
Peer reviewing process will vary between individual journals. Simple sweeping statements about the peer review process make no sense unless you are going to relate that to individual journals and discuss where those weaknesses in process are.

Incidentally, the fact you disagree with a peer reviewed paper doesn't mean the process is flawed or wrong - it could mean you are wrong !

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I mentioned, we have a National Grid that works ! :like:
Yes, because you have a thing means the whole rest of the world does as well. No wonder Europe kicked you guys out :cwl:
Hilarious !

Somebody who doesn't own an EV trying to tell somebody who uses one every day that they must be wrong and then the ultimate insult, he probably isn't a real man because he doesn't own a Mustang.

:cwl: :cwl: :cwl:
America will remember these remarks when energy starved Germany comes knocking at your door asking to borrow a few GW.

Also, did you miss the part when he asked if I had an EV, my response was a brilliant tongue-in-cheek retort. Brilliant in the American sense, not how you Brits like to toss it around :crackup:
Peer reviewing process will vary between individual journals. Simple sweeping statements about the peer review process make no sense unless you are going to relate that to individual journals and discuss where those weaknesses in process are.

Incidentally, the fact you disagree with a peer reviewed paper doesn't mean the process is flawed or wrong - it could mean you are wrong !
Here's a nice comic for you. You could even check out the book!

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/science-fictions

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, because you have a thing means the whole rest of the world does as well. No wonder Europe kicked you guys out :cwl:

America will remember these remarks when energy starved Germany comes knocking at your door asking to borrow a few GW.

Also, did you miss the part when he asked if I had an EV, my response was a brilliant tongue-in-cheek retort. Brilliant in the American sense, not how you Brits like to toss it around :crackup:

Here's a nice comic for you. You could even check out the book!

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/science-fictions
Richard Dawkins - Science works [2013] - YouTube

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have to admit some of the anti EV comments I hear on here have made a little more sense now I realise just how dismal the US electricity supplies are in some states. A few on here probably don't realise that first world countries have stable and resilient electricity networks making EV's realistic !

Listening to the chap on the news blaming the problems in Texas on renewables was hilarious. He forgot to mention that the gas, oil and nuclear plants also went off grid and that plenty of cold countries have lots of wind and solar that works even in the winter. Even us hopeless Brits can make solar and wind work so where does that leave Texas ! :wink:
Lot of people aren't in the business of checking facts and doing some research. Regurgitated news will do. :(

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The question is:
Is the world going to be ready to support an over run of EV vehicles needing power from the grids based on individual Country, Province, State or County levels?

Hell, we just saw that TX couldn’t even get through some snow and ice; couple their grid with an influx of EVs, what then.... LOL
Sponsored