• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Until the electric car can be a competitor in the Cannonball run, I won't have much interest. I'm not spending an hour parked to drive another 200 miles.
Yeah. I have 28k miles on my 2016 and that includes 14 ~1,000 mile days and maybe 10 500+ days.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
It's not about how often, it's about having the option. Or the ability to do any long road trip. Or deal with any of life's many unexpected situations.
Its not impossible even now.... I can take a trip from here to Florida and charging would only add about half hour to 45 min to the trip total if I didn't combine it with normal rest stops/food. (I have planned this out before). The majority of major highways and travel lanes in the US already have sufficient fast charging stops....

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Its not impossible even now.... I can take a trip from here to Florida and charging would only add about half hour to 45 min to the trip total if I didn't combine it with normal rest stops/food. (I have planned this out before). The majority of major highways and travel lanes in the US already have sufficient fast charging stops....
I'm having a hard time believing I would have been able to do all those 1,000 mile days. I usually just zip tie the wang and stop for gas only after the 49 miles to empty flashes.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm having a hard time believing I would have been able to do all those 1,000 mile days. I usually just zip tie the wang and stop for gas only after the 49 miles to empty flashes.
Depends on if you are traveling back roads or major highways... But its not impossible and you would be surprised how many chargers are actually out there that you never paid attention to.

The thing most people don't realize is that you don't treat the EV like gas and as you said, drive to E and then fill up. First of all, you have the ability to "fill up" at home so you are starting out the day at 100% charge and as long as you have 1% left when you get home, you can start the next day completely charged. In addition, on the trip you are usually going to be making rest stops, food, etc... Most of the time those stops are where chargers are. So that 5-10 min bathroom/rest break you would normally do would be 5-10 min worth of charging which is usually good for 15-30% in my Tesla depending on charge state (below 50% is faster charger above 70% is slower). That 30min lunch could completely top the car off.

Is it more hassle right now than a traditional ICE vehicle? Sure since you have to plan your trips more closely to match with charging locations and the fact that charging locations are still not on every corner like gas stations are for most of the country. It is not impossible though, and not as much of a hassle as you might think having never owned an EV.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We get it, you love your Telsa. You simply refuse to see the shortcomings. You can make excuses, contrive scenarios to illustrate your point, and outright ignore the reality of the situation all you want. It doesn't change that EV's do not yet equal ICE's. The battery tech isn't there yet. The charging infrastructure isn't there yet. The power generating capacity isn't there yet.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We get it, you love your Telsa. You simply refuse to see the shortcomings. You can make excuses, contrive scenarios to illustrate your point, and outright ignore the reality of the situation all you want. It doesn't change that EV's do not yet equal ICE's. The battery tech isn't there yet. The charging infrastructure isn't there yet. The power generating capacity isn't there yet.
Question....

Do you own an EV? Have you lived with an EV for an extended period of time? If not, why do you think you know more about the situation than I do? Why do you think I am "refusing to see the short comings" by simply stating that it is not as bad as people think... I have lived with an EV, I am assuming you have not. So I can just as easily turn this around on you and say you are refusing accept that it might not be as bad in reality as google university or opinionated articles have taught you...

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question....

Do you own an EV? Have you lived with an EV for an extended period of time? If not, why do you think you know more about the situation than I do? Why do you think I am "refusing to see the short comings" by simply stating that it is not as bad as people think... I have lived with an EV, I am assuming you have not. So I can just as easily turn this around on you and say you are refusing accept that it might not be as bad in reality as google university or opinionated articles have taught you...
Did you just "bro, do you even lift" me? I don't have to eat a turd sandwich to know it tastes like shit. You go out of your way to tell us all how great the EV is, and how easy it is to live with, and how the facts about batteries simply aren't true. It's all unicorn farts and charging at home. Fine, great, good for you. I've just got one last question: bro, do you even own an s550 Mustang?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you just "bro, do you even lift" me? I don't have to eat a turd sandwich to know it tastes like shit. You go out of your way to tell us all how great the EV is, and how easy it is to live with, and how the facts about batteries simply aren't true. It's all unicorn farts and charging at home. Fine, great, good for you. I've just got one last question: bro, do you even own an s550 Mustang?

Consider this...

Is it possible in some far out theory, that the reason you think it is a turd sandwich is because there has been a concerted effort by established PBJ sandwich companies and their friends (and by friends I mean bought and paid for) to attempt to shut out and destroy the new guy that doesn't use the established provider of peanut butter because it threatens their business model?

Just a thought...

PS: I bet I have owned more S550s then you have... :like:

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Consider this...

Is it possible in some far out theory, that the reason you think it is a turd sandwich is because there has been a concerted effort by established PBJ sandwich companies and their friends (and by friends I mean bought and paid for) to attempt to shut out and destroy the new guy that doesn't use the established provider of peanut butter because it threatens their business model?

Just a thought...

PS: I bet I have owned more S550s then you have... :like:
That sounds like a conspiracy theory, not one based on facts or science. I don't read opinion pieces. I read about tech and science and engineering. I read the kind of articles that have SEM photos of battery internals, and link to relevant scientific publications (which I also read if not locked behind a paywall). The tech is not there yet, the science is reaching the current theoretical limits, and the engineers have just gotten started.

You say the same things over and over (as do I, it's the batteries, stupid). You cherry pick what you can glibly respond to, and gloss over anything to which you don't have a pithy retort. Everything you mention is anecdotal. Everything I bring up is backed by actual data. Not opinions, facts:

1. Batteries degrade with charging.
2. Charging stations don't have the penetration of gas stations (regardless of whether you can charge at home, I'll touch on that later).
3. The US power infrastructure isn't ready to take the at home charging scenario you constantly suggest.
4. EV's can't fit every lifestyle, use case, or function that ICE's occupy.

Go ahead and tell me why I'm just dumb and opinionated.

P.S.
I don't care how much you flex about what you've owned in the past, I asked how many you own right now.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Question....

I don't have to live with one to know I could not travel 1000 miles in a day and only be stopped for maybe 15 minutes total for 2 or 3 gas stops. Half the miles on my Mustang are that way. 👍

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Guy's I'm getting a severe case of Deja Vu. We have already had this conversation. Today's EV's are great for hauling around town, short and maybe even some moderate trips. Longer trips are fine so long as you are willing to understand, except, and adapt to the charging regiment. If you're not than staying with ICE or hybrid is the way to go. Five years from now this too will most likely change. For now lets everyone enjoy what they want and stop bickering like a bunch of old woman about it.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. Batteries degrade with charging.
2. Charging stations don't have the penetration of gas stations (regardless of whether you can charge at home, I'll touch on that later).
3. The US power infrastructure isn't ready to take the at home charging scenario you constantly suggest.
4. EV's can't fit every lifestyle, use case, or function that ICE's occupy.
1. Yes they do. But I direct you to both Ford and Tesla battery warranties that guarantee a minimum of 70% capacity over at least 8 years or 100k miles. The point? Not an issue for the majority of owners. And as manufacturing increases, battery replacement costs will come down. Musk has stated that a replacement Model 3 battery can cost as low as $3-7k.

link: https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.in...3-battery-module-replacement-around-5000-7000

2. I agree, but it’s the chicken or the egg problem. Charging stations are not as prevalent as gas stations because the number of users is considerably smaller. As number of users increase, so will charging stations. (Gas stations have had over 100 years to grow to almost every street corner)

3. This is so much of a non issue that has been disproven multiple times..... If everyone that owned a car right now switched to EVs literally overnight then sure I agree with you. That’s not the case and it won’t be the case... The grid is increasing in capacity every year and can and will keep pace with EV adoption.

Link: https://www.pnnl.gov/sites/default/files/media/file/EV-AT-SCALE_1_IMPACTS_final.pdf

4. I agree. Right now they can’t fit EVERY lifestyle but they can fit the majority. In fact, almost 80% of people in the US have a commute less then 30 miles. For those people, an EV can be a direct replacement. ICE vehicles are not going to disappear overnight.... New ICE vehicles will still be a part of the market up until the 2030’s. Look at how far EVs have come in the last 10 years (pushed forward by a startup by the way) and consider that the next 10 years will likely solve the issues for the remaining people an EV might not quite fit right now.

The point I am making is that the issues you present are real, but they are not impossible to overcome and in a few cases have already been overcome. They usually do not rise to the level of severity that you think they do, and they usually have solutions in development. You want an EV to be 100% capable on day 1 and are not even willing to give it time to mature. You are unwilling to admit that current EVs can work for the majority of users and can be developed over the course of the next decade and further to be able to completely replace ICE vehicles. This transition isn’t happening overnight and no one is expecting it to happen overnight....

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have to live with one to know I could not travel 1000 miles in a day and only be stopped for maybe 15 minutes total for 2 or 3 gas stops. Half the miles on my Mustang are that way. 👍
You seem to fall into the category that a current EV can’t replicate. That being said, your commute is not the rule but the exception and likely can/will be covered over time with development.

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GY
Probably not around a track, and definitely not for more than a very limited distance race.

But, 1/4 mile, sure. I find that somewhat trivial.
I know it's late but the Plaid did a 1:30 around Laguna Seca...faster than the GT500, C8 Z51, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Lamborghini Hurracan Evo, and faster than a Ferrari F8 Tributo. Range is a good discussion point though.

My argument is 99.9% of the market will rarely track their cars and when they do its for a couple laps. We also have to think on grudge nights at a track we only get 5 passes max.

I believe what will need to happen is the infrastructure for charging needs WAY expanded, and Tesla has fast charging headed down the right path. 0 to 80% on under 30 minutes. If we had faster charging stations at tracks, and had them like gas stations I'd be happy. However it needs to get faster - can you imagine forgetting to plug your car in, and having to wait 30 minutes on your way to work lol

We are getting there...
Sponsored