• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Price Increase

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
I noticed the MSRP on the sticker is $65,570 but the price on the order form is $65,355. Looks like there was a price increase of $215 over the base price ($57,970 vs $58,185). Anyone else notice a price increase? Are we obligated to pay the increase?
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I noticed the MSRP on the sticker is $65,570 but the price on the order form is $65,355. Looks like there was a price increase of $215 over the base price ($57,970 vs $58,185). Anyone else notice a price increase? Are we obligated to pay the increase?
You're not even obligated to buy the car. Walk away if you don't come to an agreement with the dealership.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
you should be paying what the price was when ordered. this is price protection, and Ford compensates the dealer for it. if the dealer you're ordering through does not offer or acknowledge price protection, i urge you to find a different one, as who knows what other shady dealings they do as well, like "accidentally" forgetting you requested no add-ons an making you pay for them anyways

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Are we obligated to pay the increase?
It depends...there are several variables, but I'll go through a handful.

At the time you place an order, everyone agrees to the price of the car: Ford, the dealer and you.

Between then and you taking receipt of the car, Ford might increase prices on the base model or impacting options. If this occurs, Ford provides for price protection. Orders placed before the increases occur are protected from those increases.

While Ford's documentation, including the sticker, lists the new pricing, you pay the original, agreed-to price.

There were several price increases from the time I placed my order (22MY) until I picked it up. While my window sticker shows all the new pricing, my sales documentation had all the old pricing. The dealer acknowledged the changes, Price Protection, etc. I paid what'd we'd agreed to, which was listed on the closing documents.

The dealer puts in a claim for Price Protection, and the dealer is comp'd for the difference (they've bought the car at the higher price from Ford, but sold it to you at the previous, lower price). In the end, this is all transparent to you.

Some dealers do not acknowledge or offer Price Protection. It's a way of padding their margins. If you ordered the car and the dealer does not offer Price Protection, walk.

I've read of a handful of instances where the dealer has Price Protection, but with a caveat: you pay the new prices. After the sale, the dealer puts in for a claim and sends the check to you. If agreed to in writing, this is an option. But make sure it's in writing, down to the penny and signed by the GM. Checks can take six weeks to arrive.

Price Protection does not apply to the following: the person who ordered the car is not the same person who is buying the car. Ford sees these occurrences as a normal sale of dealer inventory. The dealer paid the higher price. The buyer pays the higher price. Ford will not accept a claim for protection.

Some increases are not protected. Gas taxes (any tax), state, county and local fees and delivery being a few; if these are added on or increase after placing an order, you and all other buyers pay.

While discussing any of this with the dealer, it's also a good time to state your position on add-ons: that you'll be accepting 0, unless agreed to in writing.

Finally, ask about the expected doc fees. Most dealers are OK, but a handful can sometimes be way high.

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
You are not obligated to pay the price increase if you placed your order before the increase.

Similarly, based on the current market - when you do go to pick up the car I would definitely recommend you try renegotiating with the dealer as prices have come down. Take advantage of those savings. Even if you get another $1000 for having a half hour long conversation with your dealer, that's like making $2k/hour. Do the math and work yourself into a better deal.

I can't believe folks are actually paying almost $65k for a regular Mustang GT. It is totally their choice and everyone should spend on what they want but wow for that kind of money on a Ford product it better be a Shelby in my opinion.

S650 Mustang Price Increase 1708354930114

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
Doubt that the dealership will let you walk for a couple hundred dollars.

OP
OP
RebelMan

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
Some dealers do not acknowledge or offer Price Protection. It's a way of padding their margins. If you ordered the car and the dealer does not offer Price Protection, walk.
I think this is an easier thing to say but may be a harder thing to do... My order is for a Dark Horse and given all the "exclusivity" surrounding it I kind of feel like the dealer would have the upper hand here. Knowing this would you still walk for $215? I will ask about Price Protection though.

While discussing any of this with the dealer, it's also a good time to state your position on add-ons: that you'll be accepting 0, unless agreed to in writing.

Finally, ask about the expected doc fees. Most dealers are OK, but a handful can sometimes be way high.
I asked about all this before I placed the order and was told (by the ordering manager) there would be no add-on fees. Well, when I got the price sheet from the salesman I noticed they added $299 for paint seal. I contacted him and made it very clear I did not want that and to remove it. He said they would take care of that at closing. So, yeah, I will be on top of that (bogus fees) for sure.

OP
OP
RebelMan

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
When people are willing to pay thousands in markups on the Dark Horse, I kind of feel like my dealer has me by the huevos at $215. My dealer does not markup over MSRP, probably the only one around here that doesn't. However, they could argue the point because of that. I suspect and am hopeful they will make good on the promises made. However, I could be in for a surprise (like the paint seal), and I don't usually care for surprises.

Last edited:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends...there are several variables, but I'll go through a handful.
No, it doesn't depend.

OP specifically stated that he was referring to the base price going up (as reflected on the window sticker) compared to base price when HE ordered HIS vehicle.

Bottom line, NO, he's not required to pay the higher price. Period. End of story.

infinitemberstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse - Blue Ember - MT
Walk away if the dealer is unable to honor the order price. That is exactly what I did. You don’t owe them a thing. It’s your special order / if they are greedy - walk way and report to Ford on all social media platforms.

OP
OP
RebelMan

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
@roadpilot & @infinitemberstang Please be honest with me. Would you walk away for $215 KNOWING that you ordered a "limited availability" vehicle, that you patiently waited for since August 2023, ALSO KNOWING that you only got the allocation because someone that had it before you did gave it up?

infinitemberstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse - Blue Ember - MT
Well - if I didn’t have any other option and couldn’t live without the car - I will not. But at the same time I would hustle with the dealer and get the price I am after.

OP
OP
RebelMan

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
I could live without the car, but my emotions are fighting logic. This ordering process exacts a toll on people too and I just don't think I would want to go through this again (for the price). I am prepared to fight but just how far?... that's the question.

Deleted member 60890

If you and the dealer signed a purchase order (P.O) and the car happened to already have a Vin in production listed on the PO they would be compelled to honor the purchase agreement. Of course, you know dealers.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@roadpilot & @infinitemberstang Please be honest with me. Would you walk away for $215 KNOWING that you ordered a "limited availability" vehicle, that you patiently waited for since August 2023, ALSO KNOWING that you only got the allocation because someone that had it before you did gave it up?
Honestly, I would not do business with a dealership that was willing to nix a deal over $215 that they know full well I'm not obligated to pay (i.e., Ford price protection).

Close to 20 years ago, we moved into the area we live now. When I was in need our first new vehicle, I walked into the hometown Ford/Lincoln dealership and struck up a conversation with a seemingly nice salesman. I told him up front: "I'm not here to buy a car, I'm here to build a relationship."

Fast forward to today, and the '24 I have on order right now will be the 15th new Ford or Lincoln that we have purchased or leased from them since 2006.

To directly answer your question: Only you can decide. I would at least discuss the subject with them and ask them to justify why they are expecting you to pay for a price increase than you are protected from by Ford. If push comes to shove, they won't back down and say take it or leave it, then do the deal, get your LA car, and when all is said and done, everything is signed and you have your keys, let them know as you leave the dealership with your new Dark Horse that, not only will you NEVER spend another nickel there, but you'll be sure to share the details of your experience with their dealership with on all the discussion forums that you participate on, as well as with every family member, friend, or person that you meeting that asks for recommendations.
Sponsored

Last edited: