• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Price protection

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
My local dealer, largest volume in the state said they do no formal agreement for purchase price protection from mark-up.
When I asked them about the ford price protection, they said it’s hit or miss from corporate. I though the Ford price protection was automatic. If customer places order at msrp, msrp goes up before delivery, customer pays original msrp, dealer pays new msrp. Ford then cuts dealer a check.
Who’s recently gotten something signed up front they’re willing to share? DM privately if you’d rather.
Sponsored

Cory1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD Fatboy, JK Wrangler, 85' Square Body
That's how my dealer explained it when I ordered a 2022 super duty. They sold the truck at the price we discussed 8 months before it showed up to the dealer.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
In each mid-MY increase throughout '22, Ford did two things:

1. Advertised the increase 30-60 days ahead of time, so orders could be placed prior.

2. Offered Price Protection to existing orders.

Price Protection is for the price of the car. Destination fees also increased in 2022, with us (the buyers) paying the difference, a few hundred dollars.

Dealers do not have to participate in Price Protection. Most do. Three examples of what could happen:

1. An order is placed above invoice. Price increase occurs after order is placed. Sticker from Ford (published at time of build, on the line), shows a new price. Car is received. You pay your previously-agreed to price. Dealer requests Price Protection for the difference, the increase. 45 days later, they receive and pocket their check from Ford.

2. Same as above. But you pay the new, higher price. Dealer submits for Price Protection. 45 days later, YOU receive the check from Ford. Make sure you have this agreement at the time the order is placed, in writing.

3. You buy a car at or below invoice. Some dealers make very slim margins while increasing sale volume and closing costs to make up for it The build price, the invoice price from Ford, increases. You had a great deal, buying at or below. Unfortunately, you now pay the new, higher invoice.

To qualify for Price Protection, the order has to be placed and the car has to be purchased by the same person. If there is later a different buyer, that buyer will pay the new price.

When placing the order, discuss the what ifs and Price Protection with the dealer. If the dealer does not support it, I'd walk. If you are entertaining example three, be careful. People with invoice or below-invoice deals often lost and had to pay the increase in 2022.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zstanny

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I appreciate that. Is mostly what I’d found looking around. I just doubt anecdotes will get me anywhere without something formal from ford I can reference. may not even be an issue, but like you said, might not even chance an order with them. Call some others who might be more forthcoming and willing to discuss.

In each mid-MY increase throughout '22, Ford did two things:

1. Advertised the increase 30-60 days ahead of time, so orders could be placed prior.

2. Offered Price Protection to existing orders.

Price Protection is for the price of the car. Destination fees also increased in 2022, with us (the buyers) paying the difference, a few hundred dollars.

Dealers do not have to participate in Price Protection. Most do. Three examples of what could happen:

1. An order is placed above invoice. Price increase occurs after order is placed. Sticker from Ford (published at time of build, on the line), shows a new price. Car is received. You pay your previously-agreed to price. Dealer requests Price Protection for the difference, the increase. 45 days later, they receive and pocket their check from Ford.

2. Same as above. But you pay the new, higher price. Dealer submits for Price Protection. 45 days later, YOU receive the check from Ford. Make sure you have this agreement at the time the order is placed, in writing.

3. You buy a car at or below invoice. Some dealers make very slim margins while increasing sale volume and closing costs to make up for it The build price, the invoice price from Ford, increases. You had a great deal, buying at or below. Unfortunately, you now pay the new, higher invoice.

To qualify for Price Protection, the order has to be placed and the car has to be purchased by the same person. If there is later a different buyer, that buyer will pay the new price.

When placing the order, discuss the what ifs and Price Protection with the dealer. If the dealer does not support it, I'd walk. If you are entertaining example three, be careful. People with invoice or below-invoice deals often lost and had to pay the increase in 2022.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I just doubt anecdotes will get me anywhere without something formal from ford I can site.
During the MY22 increases, Ford, in the press release announcing the increase/s, would state existing orders had Price Protection.

But you're correct, while Ford might offer it, the dealer has to participate. Invoice and below-invoice deals carry the most risk. A handful of dealers which had not dealt with the topic before were also something of a risk. The overwhelming majority of dealers do participate. Since they are made whole by Ford, it's often not an issue. Just something to either get in an e-mail, note on the purchase order, etc. I received confirmation of Protection via an e-mail from the Sales Manager.
Sponsored

Last edited: