• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hmmm... so what IS the major diff between the S550 and S650?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Nice!
Who the heck puts only 2500 miles on a 7+yo model?? Darn.
Yeah that’s a shame.. I never wanted to be one of those car show guys who drives it only to shows.. no offense if that’s you but just don’t get it
Sponsored

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
Definitely going electric, but the timeline is well beyond 2028, i.e. maybe another 10-20 years before BEVs are mainstream vehicles. There's just too many hurdles for BEVs; e.g., range, charging times, lack of infrastructure, battery technology, etc. We'll get over these hurdles, but it will take time. So there will be a long transition. In meantime, ICE Mustangs will continue.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yeah that’s a shame.. I never wanted to be one of those car show guys who drives it only to shows.. no offense if that’s you but just don’t get it
Def not me, Bullitt's my daily and I'm inching towards 18,000 miles in 13 months. :)

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Uh... weeelllllll....
(shifts around uncomfortably)

Maybe not only 2,500 miles, but, erm, well, uh, 7,500 miles? On a 2015 GT.

Nope, it's not my daily driver.
I only have 1800 ish miles on my 2016 RS3. I only drive it on occasion...
Nothing wrong with how you drive your cars gents, especially if it's your weekend toy. My weekend toy is also my daily, I'm unlucky that I can't afford another, but lucky that I can afford the Bullitt as a daily I suppose. :)

My point about the 2,500 miles in 7yrs was more of a comment about the previous owner's restraint on themselves. If I had that in my possession, had time and health (of course I don't know the previous owner's situation), I'd probably put on 360 miles per weekend, not per year. :D

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
Seems strange that the company would create an entirely new platform designation resulting in little or no change from the prior platform? Guess I don't entirely grasp the concept then?

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Seems strange that the company would create an entirely new platform designation resulting in little or no change from the prior platform? Guess I don't entirely grasp the concept then?
I'm kind of there with you, I'm a little confused whether this is just going to be a "heavy refresh" or an entirely new platform. Seems there's not much really that confirmed to know...

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
The S650 is expected to use a modified version of the current platform (D2C) that integrates parts of the CD6 (Ford Explorer) platform. The new platform is named D5.

So its more than a refresh, but not a completely new model.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, think of the changes between the '09 and '10 model years, that's what I'm expecting. Tweaks to the chassis, engine and gearbox with an all-new "top hat" meaning all new sheet metal/head lamps/tail lamps etc. There's a chance S650 will also have new glass and an even more pronounced fastback (even the '10 had different side glass to the '09.....although the changes were minimal).

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I hope they get rid of that awful Darth Vader inspired fish face front fascia. I'm sorry, it's been how many years now and I still do not like it. I had a 2016 GT and I think that was an excellent look. Even the Mach I and Shelby America fronts are better.... Just my 2 cents..

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I hope they get rid of that awful Darth Vader inspired fish face front fascia. I'm sorry, it's been how many years now and I still do not like it. I had a 2016 GT and I think that was an excellent look. Even the Mach I and Shelby America fronts are better.... Just my 2 cents..
Darth Vader look. Can't unsee it now. Now my 2 cents (worthless, really), I think the Mustangs look way better after the refresh. But what do I know, I'm just a Bullitt driving pleb...

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I suspect that in order to keep costs down, they will keep as much as the S550 as possible.

This really begs to ask the question, will it actually be a new Generation? Many people want to break the 1st Gen in two, with the 71-73 being so different from the previous 64-70. Yet they are considered Gen 1 from 64-73. The Mustang II was the 2nd Generation.

I agree, I think the 2015-2017 Cars have a better appearance. The only thing I like better on the 2018-2021 is I like the new Hood layout better, and I like the tail lights better. You have to ask, why did they keep the headlights for the GT350 & GT500, and not change them over in 2018? I too like the Mach 1 front fascia. Actually I am partial to the Roush front bumper of the 2015-2017 cars the most.

MattyIce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra, 2003 Chevy 1500
I suspect that in order to keep costs down, they will keep as much as the S550 as possible.

This really begs to ask the question, will it actually be a new Generation? Many people want to break the 1st Gen in two, with the 71-73 being so different from the previous 64-70. Yet they are considered Gen 1 from 64-73. The Mustang II was the 2nd Generation.

I agree, I think the 2015-2017 Cars have a better appearance. The only thing I like better on the 2018-2021 is I like the new Hood layout better, and I like the tail lights better. You have to ask, why did they keep the headlights for the GT350 & GT500, and not change them over in 2018? I too like the Mach 1 front fascia. Actually I am partial to the Roush front bumper of the 2015-2017 cars the most.
While I agree the ‘15-‘17’s look better visually, I believe the GT350’s and GT500’s were in development before the refresh which would make sense. I think it would be costly to R&D the face lift and would put production back further possibly. Kinda glad that didn’t go that route honestly!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Darth Vader look. Can't unsee it now. Now my 2 cents (worthless, really), I think the Mustangs look way better after the refresh. But what do I know, I'm just a Bullitt driving pleb...
Sorry my comment was a bit harsh.
I've owned 2 GT's before the 350 and they were both pre-2018 refresh so maybe I am a bit biased. I have to say all the other improvements both visually and mechanically were a home run for the 2018+ refresh, especially the active exhaust. If some of those features were part of my 2016 GT I may still be driving it. The Darth Vader comment is direct from the Ford Designers of the 2018+ refresh, they used Darth Vadar's mask as an inspiration... apparently trying to make it look more sinister. They just missed the target in my opinion as it give it an odd look. Especially the empty quarter pockets on each end. I did see a 2018 S550 with Rousch brand inserts which added some depth and detail to that area; makes it look much better. As far as the new platform goes, they have such a great foundation with the S550 chassis, it will be interesting to see what improvements they are cooking up.
Sponsored