• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A lot of people can only afford, or are so uninterested in cars that a 1.0 shopping box is all they want / need. Most people drive very dull cars and a dull ICE and dull EV are much of a muchness - no convincing needed because they really don't care. In fact, on balance, (although I would also choose neither) a shopping trolley EV is probably better than a shopping trolley ICE in most cases.

Mustang owners really are not average people and often struggle to understand how an awful lot of people really don't care what car they have, plenty don't even know what they have got ! My mum has a turquoise Ford - that is as far as it goes. It could run on boiled potatoes for all she cares.
Exactly.

So tell me how a swap from ICE to EV being a good solution for those drivers amounts to being a comparably good solution for everybody who is interested in cars.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm, please take off your binders. This isn't about the world versus performance cars. As you say, performance cars sales are a drop in the bucket overall. No manufacturer is going to drop their bread and butter ICE cars and just leave the performance cars for you and me. When they go, they all go. And none of us will have any say in the matter.
And you don't see somebody else's decision to take ICE-powered cars out of your future as a problem?

Right now, the Mustang the only vehicle Ford makes that isn't a truck or an SUV or a CUV, meaning that it's already going it alone.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sorry for hurting your feeling but the truth is the truth. This is from 8 years ago but just as true today. We are not who we think we are. A little humility would be a good thing.

That dude's rant in the video is exactly what I've been talking about. EV is part of it. Governments all around the world know that most people aren't buying EVs, but yet they are going to make EVs the only option. Those governments are NOT working for we the people.

America is going down hill and has been for the last 60+ years. The government, military and huge corporations are getting more and more of a lock on this country. People have less and less say.

We need less of what is making America go down hill. Not more.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
EV is part of it. Governments all around the world know that most people aren't buying EVs, but yet they are going to make EVs the only option.
Trouble with your argument is that people in Europe are happily buying EV's in rapidly increasing numbers.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I very much doubt it. I may be wrong but an awful lot of people in the US think that Europe is one place split up into states like the US. It couldn't be more different !
It's funny, but I've found the converse to be true as well - especially this last year, discussing pandemic response with my European friends. Of course they're well-informed enough to have some sense of the scale of this country, but it's often not intuitive. They think of the U.S. as a European-style nation with a little extra acreage, as distinct from the way many of us here think of the states as semi-autonomous and are aware of how vast the cultural differences between two states like , oh, Montana and Maryland are.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
See that's the arrogance I'm talking about right there. It may not be overt but it's there.
It's not arrogance for an individual to speak up for what matters to him. Arrogance would be something else, perhaps more like people telling other people they either need to learn to like something or it'll be forced on them anyway . . .

There are billions of people worldwide that have little or no tolerance to being told what they have to do. Unfortunately there are many that do not have a choice. And your history is just that, history. Comparing the world today versus 250 years ago is pointless.
Care to explain? Times may be different, people not so much. 400 years ago people were crossing the Atlantic for reasons involving personal freedoms.

Duh! Exactly. The Mach-E is far more revolutionary than the Mustang ever was.
I have to wonder how much being "far more revolutionary than the Mustang" really means . . . to SUV buyers. Sounds like a comparison without value.

I believe that when the all electric Mustang comes to market it will be both evolutionary and revolutionary. I'm not afraid of it, I will actually welcome it. Will I be sorry that the V8 will be no more? Damn straight. That's why I'm enjoying the one I have right now.
For me welcoming any EV ponycar Mustang would first depend on whether the ICE Mustang was forced out, whether ICEs were still available in competing car models, and on any number of details involving such an EV Mustang. One forward gear and a huge touchscreen - hard no.

You might want to re-read the section of this thread where the idea of backing the electric motor with a conventional manual transmission was touched upon.

Norm

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...You might want to re-read the section of this thread where the idea of backing the electric motor with a conventional manual transmission was touched upon.

Norm
Every time you mention this, the little hamster running on his wheel inside my head gets really excited. Environmental regulations and European policies are boring. Weird engineering problems are fun.

Any thoughts on what would happen if an electric motor were to "stall". Would it basically just start back up again, or do we need to prevent it from burning itself out?

The Taycan uses a planetary setup, with two clutches to operate. I'm sure part of the design is to prevent the motor from stalling.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not sure why you waste your time on here then ? Have you ever considered that I may have thought you would enjoy the short film? Rather than moaning about it maybe you should show a little gratitude that somebody from elsewhere in the world is actually bothered to share something with you that may cheer up your day. I will not bother you again.
Greg - my hearing isn't all that great any more and I find it to be quite difficult to learn much at a speaker's pace without notes or at least a hint about what's to follow. Typically, videographers run through the stuff I'm truly interested in far to quickly, and rattle on forever about things I don't need so much time spent on.

It's way easier for me to scroll back and forth through a document - that I can print a hard copy of if I really need to - than it is to jump back through a video to re-hear something that puts the later audio in better perspective. Understanding something takes more than just hearing it.

Norm

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every time you mention this, the little hamster running on his wheel inside my head gets really excited. Environmental regulations and European policies are boring. Weird engineering problems are fun.

Any thoughts on what would happen if an electric motor were to "stall". Would it basically just start back up again, or do we need to prevent it from burning itself out?

The Taycan uses a planetary setup, with two clutches to operate. I'm sure part of the design is to prevent the motor from stalling.
Electric motors don't stall in the sense of an ICE When an ICE reaches low enough rpm then it simply cannot sustain motion. An electric motor has 100% torque at 0 rpm. What will happen if it is prevented from moving is that heat will be generated and eventually burn out the motor

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Greg - my hearing isn't all that great any more and I find it to be quite difficult to learn much at a speaker's pace without notes or at least a hint about what's to follow. Typically, videographers run through the stuff I'm truly interested in far to quickly, and rattle on forever about things I don't need so much time spent on.

It's way easier for me to scroll back and forth through a document - that I can print a hard copy of if I really need to - than it is to jump back through a video to re-hear something that puts the later audio in better perspective. Understanding something takes more than just hearing it.

Norm
Fair enough. It was an extract of a video of a live debate

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And you don't see somebody else's decision to take ICE-powered cars out of your future as a problem?

Norm
No. I will miss the V8's but also appreciate, understand and agree with the reasons for it. I'm certain there will be fun sports cars in the future as much as the past.
Sponsored