• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I don't think anybody was truly expecting the next mustang to go considerably smaller like some have speculated about. Although I do see them shaving off 2 maybe 3 inches off the length to make it tighter looking like many have been clamoring for including myself. Lets be honest--the current car is a bit too long!

I assure you that by now ford definitely knows how the car will look like. Ask any automotive designer and they will tell you that the design is typically finished in the first 18 months during the development process. Of course their could be some last minute detail changes but even then those are small mickey mouse changes that won't delay the launch of the car.
Considering it's currently the same length as the camaro....I wouldn't expect the mustang to get any smaller until they completely ditch the 5.0 engine. They could possibly mess around with overhangs a bit to make it look smaller...but 2-3" is quite a bit of real-estate to lose while maintaining federal crash standards.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
There is a theme, and a series of designs from a few designers and their interpretation of that. I would estimate 4-7 months the whole team will be working behind a single design, and engineering and manufacturing will start really working through seeing how feasible it is.

A post from a man who sounds like he knows a thing or two. Appreciate your input :)

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Considering it's currently the same length as the camaro....I wouldn't expect the mustang to get any smaller until they completely ditch the 5.0 engine. They could possibly mess around with overhangs a bit to make it look smaller...but 2-3" is quite a bit of real-estate to lose while maintaining federal crash standards.
Crash performance is one of the largest driver's of vehicle weight due to body structure and airbag content.

Small over lap has added a far amount of weight. That is one reason the S550 has those huge steel plates that run from the outer front frame rail to the hinge pillar complimenting the torque box structure.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I know Ford quoted there would be a hybrid Mustang for 2020. Our assumption was that would be the '21MY and the all new model, but rumours indicate the next-gen car will be a '22MY. My thoughts are the hybrid would be pushed back, so to hear it'll be here potentially next year, is a big surprise, and you'd have so assume it's S550 based.
Ford quoted there would by a Hybrid Mustang by 2020 (and yes, the assumption was that would be the ‘21MY with the all new model), however the rumors also imply that the next generation was pushed back one year to ‘22MY.
In my opinion they had “obsolete and incomplete” information so I wouldn’t trust them (I trust more on this forum).

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
You won't see any prototypes q4 this year, it's way to early, Ford doesn't even know what it looks like yet.
Actually AT THIS MOMENT they do.
I assure you that by now ford definitely knows how the car will look like. Ask any automotive designer and they will tell you that the design is typically finished in the first 18 months during the development process. Of course their could be some last minute detail changes but even then those are small mickey mouse changes that won't delay the launch of the car.
I’m not an Automotive Designer but in my “Launch experience” I can tell you that being “this close” to the launch (of a completely new model) they already know how it’s going to look.

I can assure you they dont. I would put every dime I have on that bet. They are getting close though.
The Bronco isn't even finalized and it has been teased.
There is a theme, and a series of designs from a few designers and their interpretation of that. I would estimate 4-7 months the whole team will be working behind a single design, and engineering and manufacturing will start really working through seeing how feasible it is.
I would like to be included in that “bet”, not with the “every dime I have” part, but we can figure something out hahahaha :lol: . In order for engineering to start working on the project they need to have a design and we are barely 3 years away from Launch (which is not going to be just a facelift or a major change, it’s an all new generation), so trust me, they already do how it’s going to look.
Now that I think about it, it is possible that there was already a design for a “smaller mustang” but since they decided to go in a different direction in order to save money and not upset the “Mustang fans”, they choose to keep the same proportions and change the design almost completely (this process takes around 8 months), so maybe that’s why it got delayed from ’21 to ’22.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
It's okay...I've posted this before too...

S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed 18

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP

I’m not an Automotive Designer but in my “Launch experience” I can tell you that being “this close” to the launch (of a completely new model) they already know how it’s going to look.

I would like to be included in that “bet”, not with the “every dime I have” part, but we can figure something out hahahaha :lol: . In order for engineering to start working on the project they need to have a design and we are barely 3 years away from Launch (which is not going to be just a facelift or a major change, it’s an all new generation), so trust me, they already do how it’s going to look.
Now that I think about it, it is possible that there was already a design for a “smaller mustang” but since they decided to go in a different direction in order to save money and not upset the “Mustang fans”, they choose to keep the same proportions and change the design almost completely (this process takes around 8 months), so maybe that’s why it got delayed from ’21 to ’22.

There is that assumption it's all new...

Furthermore tophatting a platform is also different then developing the lead vehicle on a platform. If S650 is on CD6 it's not the first.

There was no math data for a shorter mustang to my understanding it never made it farther then initial consideration and rough business plan.

You can doubt it all you want, but I have alot of insight to the exterior, I won't say more then I already have.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

Precisely! The new stang is going to go on sale within the next 2 or 3 years and for some to suggest that Ford doesn't know how it looks like now is just pure nonsense. IF that were the case then we wouldn't be seeing a new mustang till at least MY '23 at the earliest if not MY '24---which is not going to happen! I'am still sticking with the mustang being cd6 based and on sale by MY '22.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There is that assumption it's all new...

Furthermore tophatting a platform is also different then developing the lead vehicle on a platform. If S650 is on CD6 it's not the first.

There was no math data for a shorter mustang to my understanding it never made it farther then initial consideration and rough business plan.

You can doubt it all you want, but I have alot of insight to the exterior, I won't say more then I already have.
If what you said is true about the design not locked in now, we would't be seeing a new mustang till at least MY '23 or maybe even '24. And we both know thats not going to happen.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
If what you said is true about the design not locked in now, we would't be seeing a new mustang till at least MY '23 or maybe even '24. And we both know thats not going to happen.
Or it actually is largely carry over s550 with a full top hat and a mild tear up for hybrid considerations.

You guy's should rematch a faster horse. The s550 didn't even physically exist a year prior to job 1.

While work does start rather early on future programs for most oem's it's generally a small advanced team as business cases evolve and become more concrete additional resources are allocated.

You guy's have to think.of it like this. If it's is carryover or upgraded s550, there isn't nearly the amount of validation that need to take place as a true new platform.

If it is CD6, again another vehicle program is validating CD6, aside from body, sealing and NVH, and potential unique mustang considerations; S650 doesn't need 2.5 years to get it on CD6. Other engineers and programs like the explorer are doing that.

That's enough time to top hat. There has been alot of feedback about the 18 mca, and and the 6th gen camaro, and 19 camaro MCA. Many feel it's a step backwards. Ford wants to be seen as progressive across the whole company Mustang included so ots a very delibrate step.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I've only posted this about a dozen times........so at some point someone at Ford will get the memo :D

Just save yourself some design time and just use this!! :headbang:
Just my opinion, but that seems like a 90's concept. Sorry I know how much you love it

It's okay...I've posted this before too...

S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed 18
This is not bad. Similar to what we have now and has that Aston Martin vibe. But it's too soft.

I want aggresive evolution of the current form. These are the examples I always point to.
S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed S650-Mustang-Concept-3-657x360
S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed downloadfile
Sponsored