• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

ZL1 >>>> to a GT or DH?

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Great thread and super relevant for my current situation. Of my recent fun cars (21 gt500, 22 camaro ss 6mt, C8 base, R8 q perf, currently a C8 z06) my personal favorite happens to be the camaro (least favorite being the base c8). The tremec 6mt obviously played a role but the whole car just felt right to me, in terms of all inputs. I plan on moving from the c8 z06 to another manual car. Currently looking at DH (love the tremec 3160 gearing and coyote) and ZL1 (i know i will love the car but the super tall gearing turns me off a little bit). I may just go back to another camaro ss, thats how much I like that car lol.
Would love to hear your feedback on owning the C8 Z06

I agree with you on the C8 - I drove a few... they are quick 0-30 but the car just did nothing for me...felt like they injected it with too much old man Cadillac DNA- it was just ...way too quiet and kind of boring when driving normally

How would you rate the GT500 vs. the Z06 vs. the R8?

Ive driven GT500s- very fast - but when not beating on it- was similar to the C8 for me in that ...it just felt like... a car if that makes sense?

I have also have extended seat time in multiple Huracans- never driven an R8 -
Sponsored

drkchai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
z06
Would love to hear your feedback on owning the C8 Z06

I agree with you on the C8 - I drove a few... they are quick 0-30 but the car just did nothing for me...felt like they injected it with too much old man Cadillac DNA- it was just ...way too quiet and kind of boring when driving normally

How would you rate the GT500 vs. the Z06 vs. the R8?

Ive driven GT500s- very fast - but when not beating on it- was similar to the C8 for me in that ...it just felt like... a car if that makes sense?

I have also have extended seat time in multiple Huracans- never driven an R8 -
Personally I would rate these three about the same. Objectively the R8 is the best car among them. Each has own pros and cons, and power wise all three are very similar (trapping about 130mph in the 1/4).

Structural rigidity: R8 > GT500 > Z06

Build quality: R8 > Z06 > GT500

Engine sound (very subjective obviously): Z06 > GT500 = R8

Transmission: R8 > GT500 = Z06. R8 q perf and the Huracan probably have the shortest gearing of all high-performance cars these days, especially 3rd gear and up.

Throttle response and linearity: R8 = GT500 > Z06 (I think GM messed up C8's throttle mapping. z06 better than base but still not perfect. Its not the engine since I never felt it in camaro or prior vettes)

Steering feel/weight/how natural it feels to load up: R8 = GT500 > Z06

Confidence when driving aggressively: R8 = Z06 > GT500

Practicality/easy of use: GT500 > Z06 > R8 (I don't like how in R8 you have to chose between apple car play and the big tachometer lol)

Quick comment on your comparison between GT500 and the base C8. I like the GT500 much better than the base C8, even when driving slowly. Steering/engine/transmission all feel much sharper. Structurally more rigid. only advantage to the c8 is low speed traction.

Lastly, on the z06. It mitigates some of my issues with the base C8 (laggy throttle response, vague steering, muted engine) but not all of them (structurally just not that rigid, due to open top design, regardless of coupe or convt). The engine is the highlight. I wish gm would put the LT6 in the Camaro, paired with tremec 6mt. I would totally pay 130k+ for that car and never sell it.

Last edited:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally I would rate these three about the same. Objectively the R8 is the best car among them. Each has own pros and cons, and power wise all three are very similar (trapping about 130mph in the 1/4).

Structural rigidity: R8 > GT500 > Z06

Build quality: R8 > Z06 > GT500

Engine sound (very subjective obviously): Z06 > GT500 = R8

Transmission: R8 > GT500 = Z06. R8 q perf and the Huracan probably have the shortest gearing of all high-performance cars these days, especially 3rd gear and up.

Throttle response and linearity: R8 = GT500 > Z06 (I think GM messed up C8's throttle mapping. z06 better than base but still not perfect. Its not the engine since I never felt it in camaro or prior vettes)

Steering feel/weight/how natural it feels to load up: R8 = GT500 > Z06

Confidence when driving aggressively: R8 = Z06 > GT500

Practicality/easy of use: GT500 > Z06 > R8 (I don't like how in R8 you have to chose between apple car play and the big tachometer lol)

Quick comment on your comparison between GT500 and the base C8. I like the GT500 much better than the base C8, even when driving slowly. Steering/engine/transmission all feel much sharper. Structurally more rigid. only advantage to the c8 is low speed traction.

Lastly, on the z06. It mitigates some of my issues with the base C8 (laggy throttle response, vague steering, muted engine) but not all of them (structurally just not that rigid, due to open top design, regardless of coupe or convt). The engine is the highlight. I wish gm would put the LT6 in the Camaro, paired with tremec 6mt. I would totally pay 130k+ for that car and never sell it.

Sweet- thank you....much appreciated on the write up..... I totally get everything you are saying....
Especially the confidence in driving aggressively- for my driving skill level- my 350R is much more confidence inspiring- think a big difference is the 300-400 pound difference in weight over the front end- I think the turn in is much sharper on the 350 as a result.... I love the character of the 350- but sometimes wish it just had a little more power....

Its very.... humbling...to go from driving a Huracan to my car from an acceleration perspective lol I could definitely see how the R8 would be the best out of the 3....

And I 100% agree with you- as much as I am a Ford guy- if they had put the LT6 in the Camaro with a manual transmission..... damn....I would be right there with you - my 350R would be gone and I would be all over that..... and 100% would keep it forever as well.... the Camaro chassis is just too damn good- add a motor with character like the LT6 ...and a manual transmission....just damn....

drkchai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
z06
Sweet- thank you....much appreciated on the write up..... I totally get everything you are saying....
Especially the confidence in driving aggressively- for my driving skill level- my 350R is much more confidence inspiring- think a big difference is the 300-400 pound difference in weight over the front end- I think the turn in is much sharper on the 350 as a result.... I love the character of the 350- but sometimes wish it just had a little more power....

Its very.... humbling...to go from driving a Huracan to my car from an acceleration perspective lol I could definitely see how the R8 would be the best out of the 3....

And I 100% agree with you- as much as I am a Ford guy- if they had put the LT6 in the Camaro with a manual transmission..... damn....I would be right there with you - my 350R would be gone and I would be all over that..... and 100% would keep it forever as well.... the Camaro chassis is just too damn good- add a motor with character like the LT6 ...and a manual transmission....just damn....
just saw that you have a gt350r! so jealous! the closest thing to my imaginary Camaro is indeed the gt350! I regret not getting a new gt350 back in 19/20, now that the newest ones are close to being out of warranty. But still, used gt350s are certainly on my radar as well.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just saw that you have a gt350r! so jealous! the closest thing to my imaginary Camaro is indeed the gt350! I regret not getting a new gt350 back in 19/20, now that the newest ones are close to being out of warranty. But still, used gt350s are certainly on my radar as well.
Thank you.... if you havent ever driven a 350R- I would highly recommend you test one out....
Its amazing how completely different they are then the GT500s given they are the same platforms....

I think based on your write up of the other vehicles....if you could look past the power deficit (no getting around the 350R is 100% slower in a straight line then the others) I think you would really enjoy it....

PS- I am definitely jealous of your Z06 - that LT6 - Im out in Scottsdale all the time visiting friends and have had the opportunity to drive next to a few Z06s- the sounds that car makes are just glorious!
Sponsored