• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

X-Pipe comparison

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
So I’ve listen to a lot of H-pipe vs X-pipe comparison videos. One thing no one really discusses is the difference in sound between different brands of X-pipe. Can anyone give any insight into this? Either personal experience (@LethalPerformance might have some insight there) or any videos you know of would be helpful. I just want to get the right sound and I unfortunately am not sure what it is until I hear it 🫤
Sponsored

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I would say 95% of the sound is the same between brands. The only major differences would be amount of X’s (I.e. 1 or 2) and diameter of pipe

OP
OP
Jrws1014

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say 95% of the sound is the same between brands. The only major differences would be amount of X’s (I.e. 1 or 2) and diameter of pipe
The number of X’s would effect the sound I’m guessing? Higher pitch perhaps? Because an H-pipe is lower and throatier?

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I want an H-pipe, but I think the X pipe ends up sounding better on the S550s. The H-pipe would sound better if the newer coyotes weren't so naturally raspy

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
The number of X’s would effect the sound I’m guessing? Higher pitch perhaps? Because an H-pipe is lower and throatier?
What Interstellar said is right. Most of that stuff, like the double X that you’d find on a Corsa system, is marketing gimmickery

Majority of sound profile comes from the mufflers anyway

OP
OP
Jrws1014

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want an H-pipe, but I think the X pipe ends up sounding better on the S550s. The H-pipe would sound better if the newer coyotes weren't so naturally raspy
I liked the sound of the H pipe at idle, but when the coyote gets around 3500-5000 rpm it seems like the X-pipe just sings better

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
If you are ‘tuning’ (as in sound) for sound it’s gonna be mufflers, resonators, glass packs and tubing (bends, cutouts, dumps, etc).

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
What Interstellar said is right. Most of that stuff, like the double X that you’d find on a Corsa system, is marketing gimmickery

Majority of sound profile comes from the mufflers anyway
The double x is supposed to cancel our drone so you can get rid of the resonator which was meant to cancel drone and benefit from better flow and sound without drone. I had the double x on my GT350 and it sounded much improved.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
The double x is supposed to cancel our drone so you can get rid of the resonator which was meant to cancel drone and benefit from better flow and sound without drone. I had the double x on my GT350 and it sounded much improved.
Drone isn’t canceled out by a midpipe. The double X is a cool marketing gimmick, but there’s nothing to it that would explain why it cancels drone. It’s cancelled by the mufflers, even says so somewhere on their website I’m sure

The GT350 without a resonator is basically a GT350R’s stock setup, whether you replace the res with straight pipes, Xs, double X, or an H

Also owned a Corsa Xtreme catback for my GT. The double X made for good coffee talk and to stare at when it was jacked up lol

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
What ‘type’ of sound are you after? Deep thump thump, raspy crackles, idle, wot, cruising?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Anyone like the Borla Switchfire?

I have the Borla Switchfire, definitely sounds different than a regular xpipe. Here it is on my 2020 with Ford Performance by Borla aggressive mufflers.

Nv6974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have the Borla Switchfire, definitely sounds different than a regular xpipe. Here it is on my 2020 with Ford Performance by Borla aggressive mufflers.

Sounds nice!! That might be the route I go if I ever get my mustang!!

OP
OP
Jrws1014

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But that also has the borla mufflers. So it’s a not a straight comparison where as the resonator delete leaves the stock mufflers intact. So the sound profile will still be different correct?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
But that also has the borla mufflers. So it’s a not a straight comparison where as the resonator delete leaves the stock mufflers intact. So the sound profile will still be different correct?

Sorry missed that part. I had the stock mufflers on the car before and I didn't like the way it sounded. It sounded like it had flatulence. Now keep in mind it wasn't a 2024 and I don't have AE.
Sponsored