• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What caused the weight increase on the PP GT?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It seems the GT PP is about 100 lbs heavier than last year, and I was wondering if we know any of the reasons why? Perhaps I've missed it, but has Ford talked about any of the things that have caused the weight to increase? I'm sure the dual throttle body and two intake box design weighs more, but what else has caused the weight to go up? Are there new crash regulations that the car had to meet?

To be clear, this isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm just genuinely curious.
Sponsored

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Iā€™m waiting until I actually can scale my base 300a car.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Hey, but Gen Z doesnā€™t care about weight savings. They much rather have Unreal Engine graphics. I wonder if one can watch TikTok while driving. šŸ¤”

I canā€™t believe the Dark Horse weighs almost 4,000 lbs. So much for the extra 20HP compared to the Mach 1 HP.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Hey, but Gen Z doesnā€™t care about weight savings. They much rather have Unreal Engine graphics. I wonder if one can watch TikTok while driving. šŸ¤”

I canā€™t believe the Dark Horse weighs almost 4,000 lbs. So much for the extra 20HP compared to the Mach 1 HP.
They had to put the extra horses somewhere ā€¦..must be under the hoodā€¦

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Is the car itself ever so slightly larger?

gpellis87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 F150 Raptor, '22 X5
All cars keep getting heavier and heavier with each passing generation, as safety regulations go onto effect. Who knows what the cause was here - but look at old 911s vs modern ones, pictures of the two together are comical.

Same with M2. They gained weight year over year and that car weighs nearly as much as M3 and M4s despite being the car thatā€™s supposed to be smaller and lighter.

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
I seem to remember that there is more sound deadening for minimizing NVH. Also, all those "Soft Touch" materials are likely heavier than old plastic. The front fenders also changed from Aluminum back to Steel, that adds weight exactly where it is not very helpful either.

S650 Mustang What caused the weight increase on the PP GT? SmartSelect_20230828_184241_Adobe Acrobat

S650 Mustang What caused the weight increase on the PP GT? SmartSelect_20230828_184411_Adobe Acrobat

Adding three pounds here and five pounds there and it all adds up pretty quick.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I seem to remember that there is more sound deadening for minimizing NVH. Also, all those "Soft Touch" materials are likely heavier than old plastic. The front fenders also changed from Aluminum back to Steel, that adds weight exactly where it is not very helpful either.
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for! I had no idea they changed the front fenders from aluminum to steel. I wonder if this was a cost savings thing or a structural/crash related change? I assume cost, but I'll give Ford the benefit of the doubt.
Sponsored

Last edited: