• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Here is our 20x11 with a 315/30/20 Let us know if you see any poke also lowered on steeda springs. Doesnt seem aggressive to us fitment looks perfect

DSC06779.jpg

Can you stop posting this picture, every time I see it I want to buy them!!!! I need a new TV but these are just soooo nice.
Sponsored

Project6GR Wheels

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Can you stop posting this picture, every time I see it I want to buy them!!!! I need a new TV but these are just soooo nice.
haha the tv can wait ! wheels are a must! 😈

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I appreciate the insight on this; I just picked up a set of HRE FF10's in the same configuration and am waiting on tires to come in. I bought these wheels to replace the Mach-1 HP wheels i had on the car as the offset caused rubbing in the front as well as a ton of poke. This is my first-time adding aftermarket wheels to a car so I have a lot to learn, I went with 275/35r20 & 305/35r20 tires as I noticed many chose that size between the vendors on this forum as well as folks on the 6g forum. I also noticed that some people on this thread ran a rear tire with a smaller aspect ratio than the front which i didn't know could be done but makes sense in order to retain the overall tire height. My question is will I be ok running a taller rear tire, or should I drop the rears down to a 305/30r20?
I would go with the 305/30 in the rear
Stock 255/40/19 are 27" tall.
305/30/20 are 27.2" tall.
305/35/20 are 28.4" tall.
EDITEDIT: I just looked and the performance pack rear wheels are 275/40/19 which are 27.7" tall.
I wonder if the speedometers are calibrated differently between the GT and GT PP. This also begs the question, is it better to go 35 or 30 if you don't have PP or do have PP?

With the 35s your speedometer will definitely be off. however @VELGEN WHEELS just posted a bunch with the 35s in the rear and they look and I'm sure perform fine. Just not what I would do personally

Last edited:

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
EDITEDIT: I just looked and the performance pack rear wheels are 275/40/19 which are 27.7" tall.
I wonder if the speedometers are calibrated differently between the GT and GT PP. This also begs the question, is it better to go 35 or 30 if you don't have PP or do have PP?

With the 35s your speedometer will definitely be off. however @VELGEN WHEELS just posted a bunch with the 35s in the rear and they look and I'm sure perform fine. Just not what I would do personally
I just looked and the performance pack rear wheels are 275/40/19 which are 27.7" tall.
I wonder if the speedometers are calibrated differently between the GT and GT PP.

This also begs the question, is it better to go 35 or 30 if you don't have PP?
Is it better to go 35 or 30 if you do have PP?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

I refer to these two sites often.

Regarding tire circumference, one measurement I've read of often is the 3% rule: in-general, it's best to keep the previous (say, factory) and new sets' circumferences within 3% of one another. Reason: the car is setup a certain way, both physically and logically. Deviating too far can leave the car to interpret you're driving at a markedly higher or lower speed, impacting things like braking (ABS) or shift points.

Can you deviate from the rule? Yes. People can and do. Everything has a limit and there are a lot of variables at play. There's some wiggle room before becoming noticeable; it's going to be different for everyone. One good source of insight is discussions like this. Another, the wheel vendor, for their direct experience with product testing and the clients that purchase product.

Last edited:

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vapor Blue GT PP X-Pipe & HRE FF10's

I'm with ya on that, it's important to me that the speedo stays accurate so i was able to call the dealer and have them switch the rears to 30's.

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
The term "ET53" is a reference as to how many millimeters (MM), the wheel is pushed inside or outside of the rim's centerline. Rims with a (+) are drawn to the inside of the wheel well, relative to the centerline of the rim. Wheels with a (-) offset are pushed towards the outside. The greater the number, the more the offset, in MMs. A wheel with an ET of +53 will be tucked towards the inside of the wheel well more than a wheel with an ET of +35.

For Mustangs in-general, wheels on the rear often have an ET of a greater (+) number in the rear than the front, as the rear suspension will accommodate a wider wheel and tire.

The factory wheels on my '22 were ET of +24 (front) and +56 (rear). But I changed that. I'm currently running with an ET of +35 all-around, for a simpler square (tires all same size) setup (285/35/19). On the front, I have a thumb's width of gap to the strut.

A change in offset of only a few MMs can be meaningful (poke, necessary alignment adjustments, suspension and/or brakes touching).

I noticed you live in Indiana. Think of your long-term objectives with the car, rims and tires. If you want to ever run an A/S tire for the colder seasons, you might need yet another set of rims. Summer tires and their sizes are plentiful. A/S treads, not so much.

It's always a good idea to confirm things as much as possible before purchase. It's my belief that most vendors test and measure their products with factory suspensions and alignments, unless noted elsewhere. For safety reasons, most vendors will not accept returns.

https://cncwheels.com.au/wheel-offset-explained/

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/wheel-width-and-et-offset-explained#:~:text=Offset is stamped on a,wheels will protrude further out.

"Offset is stamped on a wheel as an ET value, which refers to the German phrase “Einpress Tiefe.” ET indicates the distance between the mounting surface and the geometric centre of the wheel (the symmetry axle), usually expressed in millimetres.

When the ET value decreases, the alloy wheels will protrude further out. An increased ET value, on the other hand, results in moving the wheel location deeper into the wheel arch."
Thank you very much!

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
There's plenty of tools online to help you out when shopping, my go to is tiresize.com. there's no reason to not be informed these days before making a purchase. For example Nitto recommends an 11 width rim for their 305/30 or 305/35 for a 20" rim. While I don't know exact specs of the S650 pp wheels, I know the S550 pp1 wheels have an offset of 53mm. So our starting measure of tiresize.coms offset comparisons calculator would be 275/40/19 with a 53 offset. We also know the wheel from HRE has a 50mm offset so our new tire with the Nitto recommended 305/35/20 with offset of 50 will show us how much difference we can expect:
S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit Screenshot_20240110_141531_Firefox

Now you know to expect your new setup to poke out .72" more than stock pp. OP went with 315/35/20 on 50mm offset which comes out to this:
S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit Screenshot_20240110_141508_Firefox

A full 2/10s of an inch more than the 305. With this information you can plan out a lot of things before you even look at wheel designs.

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
I'm with the OP, I prefer no poke and vertical tires. I am glad these issues are being aired out, not pulling the trigger until I'm satisfied that the wheels/tires that I want will fit the way I want.

Having said, I've been wanting to put 325's in the rear, now I feel like that's crazy. My DH is not lowered and will not be, but it will be whipped so I want the extra traction back there. It came with 275/40R19s, I was thinking of going with 325/30R20.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I'm with the OP, I prefer no poke and vertical tires. I am glad these issues are being aired out, not pulling the trigger until I'm satisfied that the wheels/tires that I want will fit the way I want.

Having said, I've been wanting to put 325's in the rear, now I feel like that's crazy. My DH is not lowered and will not be, but it will be whipped so I want the extra traction back there. It came with 275/40R19s, I was thinking of going with 325/30R20.
That's just too big without having an R spec car like GT350R or GT500

VibeMotorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vibemotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Thanks to all of you who chipped in with your info, shared photos, and shared your experiences. Most of this info has been passed on to our customer in our email thread.

We acknowledge the concerns and confusion expressed by everyone, however we should not be comparing the S650 with C7 as this could cause more confusion for all s650 owners and future buyers.

As most know, HRE is one of the highest reputable wheel brands out there. As their Distributor we pre-confirmed that HRE had tested this fitment prior to adding it to their fitment guide.

At Vibe Motorsports, we always go above and beyond to resolve any fitment issues and to make sure our customers are satisfied with their purchase.

Special thanks to our other customer @Supra Killer for posting the pictures of his S650 with the HRE FF04 wheels (same size/offset). His photos demonstrated that using the 305/30/20 tires in the rear do clearly look fender flush as everyone else here agrees.

What was not mentioned is that OP's Mustang before the camber, was showing one side of the rear wheel sat differently than the other. This looked very odd to us and we recommended doing some tests to make sure the offsets are correct by switching the wheel from rear right to left to see if it's an offset issue, but he got the camber done. Again, without inspecting the vehicle ourselves, we're not sure if this might be a factory defect, but we recommend checking with the dealer on this one.

We want everyone to be rest assured that the HRE Flow Form fitments are on point with the recommended 305/30 tires.

Thank you all for your time and please let me know if anyone has any questions.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Thanks to all of you who chipped in with your info, shared photos, and shared your experiences. Most of this info has been passed on to our customer in our email thread.

We acknowledge the concerns and confusion expressed by everyone, however we should not be comparing the S650 with C7 as this could cause more confusion for all s650 owners and future buyers.

As most know, HRE is one of the highest reputable wheel brands out there. As their Distributor we pre-confirmed that HRE had tested this fitment prior to adding it to their fitment guide.

At Vibe Motorsports, we always go above and beyond to resolve any fitment issues and to make sure our customers are satisfied with their purchase.

Special thanks to our other customer @Supra Killer for posting the pictures of his S650 with the HRE FF04 wheels (same size/offset). His photos demonstrated that using the 305/30/20 tires in the rear do clearly look fender flush as everyone else here agrees.

What was not mentioned is that OP's Mustang before the camber, was showing one side of the rear wheel sat differently than the other. This looked very odd to us and we recommended doing some tests to make sure the offsets are correct by switching the wheel from rear right to left to see if it's an offset issue, but he got the camber done. Again, without inspecting the vehicle ourselves, we're not sure if this might be a factory defect, but we recommend checking with the dealer on this one.

We want everyone to be rest assured that the HRE Flow Form fitments are on point with the recommended 305/30 tires.

Thank you all for your time and please let me know if anyone has any questions.
the IRS cradle is probably off which is a known issue from back since 2015. Before i get an alignment after lowering the IRS alignment kit goes in then an alignment. It’s what everyone should be doing. It’s easy to do and less than $50. If you spending money on any serious wheels you can easily do this mod before the alignment

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
the IRS cradle is probably off which is a known issue from back since 2015. Before i get an alignment after lowering the IRS alignment kit goes in then an alignment. It’s what everyone should be doing. It’s easy to do and less than $50. If you spending money on any serious wheels you can easily do this mod before the alignment
can you attach a link on where to buy the kit? before i install my 20x11 305/30R20 Velgen wheels and tires i want to make sure i have it all squared away.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd