• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VIN Scrapped...?

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
My Mustang (GT) went into production 5 months ago and was supposed to be built on 9/28. The date kept moving until I found someone in Ford corporate who got in touch with the factory and it turned out that the VIN is going to be scrapped!

I now need to re-order and wait again, which is very annoying. However, I am curious: what does it even mean for a VIN to be scrapped and why is it even done? I'd imagine whatever the issues were, Ford would just fix them?
Sponsored

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
My Mustang (GT) went into production 5 months ago and was supposed to be built on 9/28. The date kept moving until I found someone in Ford corporate who got in touch with the factory and it turned out that the VIN is going to be scrapped!

I now need to re-order and wait again, which is very annoying. However, I am curious: what does it even mean for a VIN to be scrapped and why is it even done? I'd imagine whatever the issues were, Ford would just fix them?
I work at a Honda automotive plant as a team lead, and we scrap vins time to time due to a handful of issues. A lot of the time it comes from either extremely excess paint issues, stamping issues such as major deforms, the car got in a wreck in the plant causing airbags to deploy, or something else along the lines to do with the body of the car itself extreme enough to scrap it over repair. While it is annoying, be glad they didn't bandage it after whatever happened to get it out the door. It's not super super often but we once scrapped 60 hatchback civics due to a extreme deform caused in stamping, not allowing panels to align correctly.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm afraid you're asking a question you'll probably never get the answer to.

Maybe there was something so wrong they couldn't recover the car.

Being in CAN 🇨🇦, this might have had an impact. CAN vehicles have their own production runs, like others going overseas. CAN, EU and AU specs have some unique bits. Could be as simple as they ran out of some parts. Maybe just ran out of time.

Your dealer might gain some additional insight, by speaking with their Regional Manager. But I've never read a post of what really happened in events like this. The feedback loop just doesn't exist.

FWIW, I'd rather have it come to an end and order again than receive a car that's had a lot of duct-tape and bubblegum repairs to it.

OP
OP

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
I work at a Honda automotive plant as a team lead, and we scrap vins time to time due to a handful of issues. A lot of the time it comes from either extremely excess paint issues, stamping issues such as major deforms, the car got in a wreck in the plant causing airbags to deploy, or something else along the lines to do with the body of the car itself extreme enough to scrap it over repair. While it is annoying, be glad they didn't bandage it after whatever happened to get it out the door. It's not super super often but we once scrapped 60 hatchback civics due to a extreme deform caused in stamping, not allowing panels to align correctly.
Thanks, this is helpful.

I am not mad about it being scrapped, I am upset because there was no active communication. It took me months to find out.

In fact, Ford's "customer service chat" still gives me an expected build date :-).

In these situations, Ford should really throw a bone to customers (I wasted 8+ months waiting for it). A little discount or extended warranty to make up for the lost time wouldn't hurt.

But I get to debate Recaro or no-Recaro one more time, so there's that ;-)

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
Thanks, this is helpful.

I am not mad about it being scrapped, I am upset because there was no active communication. It took me months to find out.

In fact, Ford's "customer service chat" still gives me an expected build date :-).

In these situations, Ford should really throw a bone to customers (I wasted 8+ months waiting for it). A little discount or extended warranty to make up for the lost time wouldn't hurt.

Don't do Recaro 😂 they look nice but they are no where near as comfortable as cloth or even just leather seats. I've sat in multiple cars with Recaro for extended periods of time and they wear ya down. If you plan on tracking and want to feel like you are secured in a bucket seat then sure. Just my opinion though.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
...But I get to debate Recaro or no-Recaro one more time, so there's that ;-)
i cant recommend the Recaros unless this is going to be a mostly track or track-only vehicle. by getting them you are sacrificing all power functionality, all memory functionality, heated and cooled functionality, and comfort. you would be paying an additional $1650 for less stuff than what comes standard

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

I would say get the Recaros if you want them. I went in knowing they might not be the most comfortable and u would lose the features with the regular seats but I was ok with that and have no regrets.

I had the reg seats in other Mustangs. I don't find the Recaros uncomfortable for normal driving.

OP
OP

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
I would say get the Recaros if you want them. I went in knowing they might not be the most comfortable and u would lose the features with the regular seats but I was ok with that and have no regrets.

I had the reg seats in other Mustangs. I don't find the Recaros uncomfortable for normal driving.
I love the way they look. I know Recaro makes power seats with heat and lumbar support, I wish Ford used that instead of the basic version they do.

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I owned three S550 GT’s with non Recaro’s, and my new DH has Recaros. I’ve found that once you get the seat adjusted perfectly, you just fall right into them. We’ve found them comfortable on a few road trips already as well.
I do miss the heated/cooled functionality though!

dconfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wonder if this is what is going on with my Dark Horse order. It has been built since 9/18 and has not shipped yet. Can't get anything out of nobody. I moved on. After this long and has not shipped they can keep it. Got to be something wrong with the car.

OP
OP

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
I wonder if this is what is going on with my Dark Horse order. It has been built since 9/18 and has not shipped yet. Can't get anything out of nobody. I moved on. After this long and has not shipped they can keep it. Got to be something wrong with the car.
Same timeline as me. Ask your dealer to move off their ass and make some phone calls!

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Is that what happened to this car as it no longer has a destination as of today? Been "in production" for over a month.

S650 Mustang VIN Scrapped...? Screenshot_20240126-165848

S650 Mustang VIN Scrapped...? Screenshot_20240122-192728

dconfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just got word today from my dealer on my dark horse order. Vin is being scrapped also. There was some type of damage done to the car. Car has been built since 9/18/23 and never shipped.

OP
OP

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Just got word today from my dealer on my dark horse order. Vin is being scrapped also. There was some type of damage done to the car. Car has been built since 9/18/23 and never shipped.
That sucks man!

Hope your dealer's better than mine.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Does this happen a lot? I wouldn't think this was common, but we have 2 confirmed. How is damage occurring on the line?
Sponsored