• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Video on why you should do first oil change early

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I follow him on YouTube and he’s great at explaining oils. Very informative videos and he’s knowledgeable. He use to work for Joe Gibbs racing in oil development.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
And then there is the part he doesn't talk about. One part per million is one drop in 50 quarts. The mustang V8 holds almost twice the oil that the Toyota holds. In addition, the bearings in the V8 seem to have a loose tolerance as indicated by the low oil pressure at idle. Yes there will be wear on a new engine but the numbers from the oil tests show it isn't much or the filter is removing a good deal of it. Also note he didn't cut the filter and examine the paper. I suspect he would have found metal there but not in massive amounts. Change the oil when you want but I think that 700 miles was a bit early.
And about magnetic oil plugs, they see the oil before it enters the filter. They were originally intended as a chip detector to give an indication of a potentially massive failure. It real important in aviation when you have a single engine or helicopter transmission that your life depends on. If the detector finds chips, you better figure out why in a hurry.

Quarts to drops

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
One tidbit, the clean quart of oil step during the change doesn’t work the same on a v-engine, unless of course you do one on each bank.

OP
OP
Vapor Blue GT

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
And then there is the part he doesn't talk about. One part per million is one drop in 50 quarts. The mustang V8 holds almost twice the oil that the Toyota holds. In addition, the bearings in the V8 seem to have a loose tolerance as indicated by the low oil pressure at idle. Yes there will be wear on a new engine but the numbers from the oil tests show it isn't much or the filter is removing a good deal of it. Also note he didn't cut the filter and examine the paper. I suspect he would have found metal there but not in massive amounts. Change the oil when you want but I think that 700 miles was a bit early.
And about magnetic oil plugs, they see the oil before it enters the filter. They were originally intended as a chip detector to give an indication of a potentially massive failure. It real important in aviation when you have a single engine or helicopter transmission that your life depends on. If the detector finds chips, you better figure out why in a hurry.

Quarts to drops
No he doesn’t cut open the filter but it’s also not necessary. That’s a pointless concept unless you aren’t doing an oil analysis then it’s a way to see large particles but not very helpful in identifying anything. The OA will show you what’s happening. Yes, 500 mile for first change is a little overkill but 1,000-1500 is a good idea. There were good amounts of metal in the oil so there would be a good amount in the filter.
Low or high tolerances doesn’t make that much of a difference with bearings when a couple thousandths is the difference. A great filter will trap 20 microns and larger and what it doesn’t catch is what’s actually causing wear floating around in the oil. Cummins put out a study that found 95% of engine wear is caused by particles smaller than 20 microns which makes since if using a great filter.

Oils and filters have come along way from 30 years ago and I never changed oil before 3,000 miles on new cars and put hundreds of thousands of miles on those engines with no trouble. I do think changing your oil often is key to what’s best but too often is just wasting money. The only way to know is by doing OA and seeing what’s in the oil that your filter isn’t capturing.
Sponsored