• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on Paint Protection - Wrap, Ceramic, Teflon,...

rkmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'31 Chrysler, '59 Galaxie, & now '24 Mustang GT
As many of us are preparing to (hopefully) take delivery of our new Mustangs soon, I'm wondering what this forum's thoughts are on some form of treatment for the paint? I'm not keen on a wrap although some seem to think that's the best option. My main concern is bugs, much less than rocks, so leaning toward a ceramic spray, but also torn on DIY or Detail shop. Sounded like Telfon needs to be re-apply fairly often. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Some individual owners do great working with ceramic coatings. Others, not so much. Given options, I'd rather have a pro do it. They work with the materials consistently, often in controlled areas. The shop that did my PPF, when they apply PPF or ceramic, their sections are no-go areas. No one in or out, until they are done. Some sites do it in a paint booth, to ensure no contamination and that the materials set correctly.

Regarding PPF, if you're keeping the car for some time, the front third of the car would be the least amount of protection I'd get. All forward-facing areas, to include the roof pillars, and first six inches of the roof. Also, wheel well arches and along the rocker panels. If keeping the car long-term and if your budget allows, as much PPF as you can. The materials used today are some of the best ever. If going XPEL and the shop is a franchisee, see if they cut panels via a plotter. Most templates leave a bit extra, so the material wraps around the edge/s.

Regarding window tint, ceramic tint is presently considered the best. See if they have a display with a heat lamp, so you can see how well it blocks UV and heat, without disrupting cell or radio signals.

If considering ceramic for the car, see about getting your rims coated while there. I have what'd be thought of as a simple aftermarket rim. But even getting those as clean as I'd like can be a PITA. Since having them ceramic coated, it's much easier. I can get them like new clean with less effort than before.

I received what I thought was a lot of great guidance and options from the shop that did mine. Their work was flawless. Walk their business and see what they're doing; this will give you a good sense of the quality of work they do.

Last edited:

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
As many of us are preparing to (hopefully) take delivery of our new Mustangs soon, I'm wondering what this forum's thoughts are on some form of treatment for the paint? I'm not keen on a wrap although some seem to think that's the best option. My main concern is bugs, much less than rocks, so leaning toward a ceramic spray, but also torn on DIY or Detail shop. Sounded like Telfon needs to be re-apply fairly often. Thoughts?
Wax, probably a clear bra up front as well.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Some individual owners do great working with ceramic coatings. Others, not so much. Given options, I'd rather have a pro do it. They work with the materials consistently, often in controlled areas. The shop that did my PPF, when they apply PPF or ceramic, their sections are no-go areas. No one in or out, until they are done. Some sites do it in a paint booth, to ensure no contamination and that the materials set correctly.

Regarding PPF, if you're keeping the car for some time, the front third of the car would be the least amount of protection I'd get. All forward-facing areas, to include the roof pillars, and first six inches of the roof. Also, wheel well arches and along the rocker panels. If keeping the car long-term and if your budget allows, as much PPF as you can. The materials used today are some of the best ever. If going XPEL and the shop is a franchisee, see if they cut panels via a plotter. Most templates leave a bit extra, so the material wraps around the edge/s.

Good time to shop around. I received a lot of great guidance and options with no hard sell, which is why I stuck with the shop that I did.

Regarding window tint, ceramic tint is presently considered the best. See if they have a display with a heat lamp, so you can see how well it blocks UV and heat, without disrupting cell or radio signals.

If considering ceramic for the car, see about getting your rims coated while there. I have what'd be thought of as a simple aftermarket rim. But even getting those as clean as I'd like can be a PITA. Since having them ceramic coated, it's much easier. I can get them like new clean with less effort than before.
Agreed on all points.

Ceramic coat can be tricky, and its semi-permanent, so you wont have an easy chance to do it again if your first application is not perfect. Most important is to not get it wet for at least 24 hours after application. Shops can shorten that by baking it in their spray booths.

PPF is also tricky to get right, need the corners to tuck in nicely so it does not lift the film. The front end doesn't look to difficult, but with the cost of the film, you can really throw any potential savings out the door if you cut a sheet wrong or ruin it during application.

If I can clear out my garage and have it set up the way I want it before I receive my car, then I will do the ceramic coat myself, after a slight polish and IPA wipe down. I will leave PPF up to the pros.

AZRobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang (totaled) 22 on order, 19 430i GC
On my ā€˜22 I did the Adams Advanced Graphene (all painted surfaces, wheels, glass, grill - everything) and I highly recommend it.
I work in the service department of the dealership I bought my car from so when it came in I was able to do the Graphene on a Saturday, let it ā€œcureā€ in the shop until Monday morning and then I took delivery the following Tuesday on my Birthday! It just all worked out.
One thing I would change is definitely PPF the front and A pillars at a minimum. I didnā€™t because I didnā€™t like the ā€œclear tapeā€ look - but that would definitely look better than the chips I currently have :(!

Last edited:

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Good ol' wax for me.

Ceramic sounds nice in theory, but it's high maintenance. (i've had it, would never recommend it)

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I'll get a partial mask in the front of PPF and everything else ceramic coated.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Had my 2011 front and mirrors done around 12 years ago. I just had it redone as it was just starting to show age. Taking off the old wasn't easy. There has been many of improvements one being self healing for minor scratches. I have zero paint chips for a car that's this age. I will be getting this on my new 2024.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Something to study when exploring this topic: how to care for these surfaces. Ceramic, PPF and sometimes paint are often akin to your skin: the materials have pores. Incorrect products, such as some soaps, waxes or sealers can negatively impact the properties of the surface being used on. Simply ask yourself, "What is the best way to care for this surface?" What was used on another vehicle or surface previously might not be the correct item to use now.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
On my ā€˜22 I did the Adams Advanced Graphene (all painted surfaces, wheels, glass, grill - everything) and I highly recommend it.
I work in the service department of the dealership I bought my car from so when it came in I was able to do the Graphene on a Saturday, let it ā€œcureā€ in the shop until Monday morning and then I took delivery the following Tuesday on my Birthday! It just all worked out.
One thing I would change is definitely PPF the front and A pillars at a minimum. I didnā€™t because I didnā€™t like the ā€œclear tapeā€ look - but that would definitely look better than the chips I currently have :(!
How are the front and rear fenders doing? Roofline as well? Thanks!!

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Had my 2011 front and mirrors done around 12 years ago. I just had it redone as it was just starting to show age. Taking off the old wasn't easy. There has been many of improvements one being self healing for minor scratches. I have zero paint chips for a car that's this age. I will be getting this on my new 2024.
Did you do the roof? How are your rear quarter panels doing?

When you say you had the ā€œfrontā€ done, what was actually wrapped? Hood, bumper, and what else?

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
I've used the best DIY ceramics I could find, and I'm still choosing to have a shop do it this time. As good as it is, the first coat is the most important, and they guarantee the work as well -- wheels, all glass, body. I'm also doing full front end PPF...the new stuff is self-healing, high gloss, and comes pre-ceramic-coated, so you get the best of both worlds, including headlights, fenders, hood, a-pillars, mirrors, etc. Ceramic tint on all inside glass. Only thing I'd still like to add is better windshield protection, because EVERY little thing puts small abrasions in this brittle glass. Needs more than just ceramic coating, IMO. That said, it's $3950 for all that, and that's well worth it on my brand new vehicle, but fully acknowledge it's a lot too.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Good ol' wax for me.

Ceramic sounds nice in theory, but it's high maintenance. (i've had it, would never recommend it)
The reason it's so popular is because it's so much lower maintenance than wax. And it's a better shine, lasts longer, is more durable than wax, applies easier (especially after the first coat), and cleans easier. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø But some are better than others for sure.

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Premium 21 F150 XLT 3.5
I had the front, door cups and black trim on the doors of my F150 done with PPF, windshield and paint with IGL Ceramics.
I will definitely be having the Mustang done as well.

S650 Mustang Thoughts on Paint Protection - Wrap, Ceramic, Teflon,... 1365B443-
Sponsored