• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on DH with HP vs Convertible GT PP

DH or Convertible!

• Total voters

AAAStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lexus ES, 2014 Land Rover LR4, 2009 Honda CRV
Hi All,

This is my first post in the thread, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have owned several V8 Mustangs before, including a 2001 Cobra and 2009 GT500, but I had to let all the fun go once my wife got pregnant with twins! Luckily, I'm about to purchase one now!

The lovely dilemma I'm facing is whether to order a premium manual dark horse with a handling package or an automatic convertible with a performance package, MagneRide, and active exhaust.

I know the two cars provide a different experience, but the price difference is around CAD11k, which can be a Whipple kit and installation for the convertible.

The dark horse manual gear would be so much fun to track, yet the convertible would provide the ultimate cruising fun for me and the family!

What do you guys think?

Regards.
Sponsored

KABStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT convertible, 2024 Mustang GT conv.
Hi All,

This is my first post in the thread, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have owned several V8 Mustangs before, including a 2001 Cobra and 2009 GT500, but I had to let all the fun go once my wife got pregnant with twins! Luckily, I'm about to purchase one now!

The lovely dilemma I'm facing is whether to order a premium manual dark horse with a handling package or an automatic convertible with a performance package, MagneRide, and active exhaust.

I know the two cars provide a different experience, but the price difference is around CAD11k, which can be a Whipple kit and installation for the convertible.

The dark horse manual gear would be so much fun to track, yet the convertible would provide the ultimate cruising fun for me and the family!

What do you guys think?

Regards.
I see you are in Ontario. I am in PEI and had similar thoughts as I went to order a Mustang in Dec/23. I presently have a 2023 CRV which is my daily driver, and an 03 Mustang GT convertible with a 5 sp manual, a Borla exhaust, and some other mild performance mods. I enjoy driving the 03 and am involved in some area Mustang clubs and participate in a number of group cruises. We get about 6 months maximum of weather/roads that you would want to drive a “fun car”.

I considered getting a Dark Horse, and would have if they came in a convertible. Generally, if it is nice enough to take the car out, it is nice enough to put the roof down. I rarely drive the 03 without the roof down, so I decided I wanted a convertible. Auto transmissions have come a long way, and while I like shifting myself, the new autos are faster, get better gas mileage, and have remote start and other features. So, I ordered an Atlas Blue convertible, auto transmission, and it arrived at the dealer on Feb. 29. I picked it up the following day, and it is in my garage until the weather gets better.

If I get the need for more time speed, I will have a hard look at a Whipple Kit, or other performance mods. All that to say, I don’t think any of the potential choices are wrong, all have benefits and trade offs, you will have to decide what suits you the most. I have no plans to sell the 03, I will use it to address any urges to row a transmission.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. Here are the Blues Brothers:
S650 Mustang Thoughts on DH with HP vs Convertible GT PP IMG_6382

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Different ends of the spectrum. Track vs family ride. How you plan to use it will make the decision.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
I was all set to order the DH last March, after we found out about the 2024's. Contacted our dealer, set appt. to come in once ordering banks opened. As I was finalizing the options, the "boss" reminded me it was her turn for the next new car. :shock: She sold her 2006 GT Vert in 2015 after retiring and I promised to get her another one. So I scrapped the DH and we began looking at the GT Verts. Ordered one the day the order banks opened and it arrived in Sept. To this day, I'm not that disappointed. Its not a DH, but close enough....and the "boss" is happy with it and that's what really matters.:like:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Why an automatic if going convertible? I know it is popular to bash the base manual, but is there really anything that wrong with it? I am replacing a 2017 BMW 440 convertible with a 2024 GT co vertible manual and the only thing I don't like about the 440 is that a manual wasn't offered.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Hi All,

premium manual convertible performance package, MagneRide, and active exhaust 🤔

What do you guys think?

Regards.
Which will you spend more time with?

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why an automatic if going convertible? I know it is popular to bash the base manual, but is there really anything that wrong with it? I am replacing a 2017 BMW 440 convertible with a 2024 GT co vertible manual and the only thing I don't like about the 440 is that a manual wasn't offered.
Wife can't drive stick, so..............and I will say the 10-speed AT is pretty awesome, much more than I expected. Haven't played with the paddle shifters yet, but that's coming soon.

Bruebaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT, 20 GT350, 70 Boss, 69 Mach 1, 67 Shelby
It really comes down to simply a coupe vs. a convertible. However, if your wife wants to drive the new car and doesn’t want to learn to drive a manual, the decision should be easy! 😎

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really comes down to simply a coupe vs. a convertible. However, if your wife wants to drive the new car and doesn’t want to learn to drive a manual, the decision should be easy! 😎
She can't play golf either, but that doesn't mean she didn't try..........:like:

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Why the HP? The DH standard is absolutely a wonderful car. I would skip the convertible as already have one of those in the stables.
S650 Mustang Thoughts on DH with HP vs Convertible GT PP IMG_20230723_174512

Fruitstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I can understand the difficulty of deciding between a manual and an auto (although for me it is Auto all day since we have lots of traffic jams).
But I cannot understand the difficulty of deciding between a coupe and a convertible.
Since I've driven a conv and liked it, nothing can beat THAT, be it twice the bhps or a manual.
I'd rather go with a used BMW 6 (now 8) series or a used Mercedes S-Class or Camaro convertible than with a coupe style Mustang.
Roof down to me is like riding my motorcycle, just with the option to fight any possible rain or to keep luggage with me.

OP
OP

AAAStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see you are in Ontario. I am in PEI and had similar thoughts as I went to order a Mustang in Dec/23. I presently have a 2023 CRV which is my daily driver, and an 03 Mustang GT convertible with a 5 sp manual, a Borla exhaust, and some other mild performance mods. I enjoy driving the 03 and am involved in some area Mustang clubs and participate in a number of group cruises. We get about 6 months maximum of weather/roads that you would want to drive a “fun car”.

I considered getting a Dark Horse, and would have if they came in a convertible. Generally, if it is nice enough to take the car out, it is nice enough to put the roof down. I rarely drive the 03 without the roof down, so I decided I wanted a convertible. Auto transmissions have come a long way, and while I like shifting myself, the new autos are faster, get better gas mileage, and have remote start and other features. So, I ordered an Atlas Blue convertible, auto transmission, and it arrived at the dealer on Feb. 29. I picked it up the following day, and it is in my garage until the weather gets better.

If I get the need for more time speed, I will have a hard look at a Whipple Kit, or other performance mods. All that to say, I don’t think any of the potential choices are wrong, all have benefits and trade offs, you will have to decide what suits you the most. I have no plans to sell the 03, I will use it to address any urges to row a transmission.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. Here are the Blues Brothers:
IMG_6382.jpeg
I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to the convertible, I have had a convertible in my garage from 2008 till 2016 and it was a blast!

PS: I love the Blue Brothers, man they look amazing! the 99' to 04' is the best Mustang style in my opinion!

OP
OP

AAAStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Different ends of the spectrum. Track vs family ride. How you plan to use it will make the decision.
You're absolutely right, hence, the dilemma, I'm trying to make the best out of what i decide on.

OP
OP

AAAStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was all set to order the DH last March, after we found out about the 2024's. Contacted our dealer, set appt. to come in once ordering banks opened. As I was finalizing the options, the "boss" reminded me it was her turn for the next new car. :shock: She sold her 2006 GT Vert in 2015 after retiring and I promised to get her another one. So I scrapped the DH and we began looking at the GT Verts. Ordered one the day the order banks opened and it arrived in Sept. To this day, I'm not that disappointed. Its not a DH, but close enough....and the "boss" is happy with it and that's what really matters.:like:

hehe, the boss gotta be a happy man! my wife even pushed to the subtle colors as she doesn't like to be under the radar. I'm glad Ford understands that with the active exhaust, gotta ride smoothly when she is nearby :D
Sponsored