• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts and Expecations on Mustang S650 - Technology and Performance

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Yeah, I'm going to have to step in the ring here...

Whoever doesn't think the Mustang performs in the handling department just hasn't driven the rights ones. Full stop, end of story. You guys are confusing chassis/handling with MONEY. Do the SS 1LE and ZL1 (with or without 1LE) provide the best BANG/BUCK out there from any brand? Hell yeah, they do. If you want accessible performance without breaking the bank, you can't beat them. They are fantastic drivers cars. HOWEVER, they aren't better than the best Mustangs. They are simply CHEAPER.

If you think Mustangs handle poorly, go drive a GT350/GT350R, M1 HP or GT500 CFTP...
I think that it des not really matter which one. I rented a 2019 gt convertible with the 255 tires in socal. It handled beautifully, even on an off ramp in the rain. I think it depends on what is classified as good handling. A gt pp could beat a cobra r because of it being more modern and having more power. When the cobra r first came out, it was world class on the track and everyone praised it for its irs and handling characteristics.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
I think your over valuing your opinion to be honest and it's based on no other point of reference. Even the pp2 is lack luster compared to the Camaro. The mag ride is better , the steering, the body roll which is basically non existent in a 1le. Compare streets of willow times and you'll see the 1le is a whole different class of handling. Heck the 1le even out performs the gt350 for less money and less power.
I've driven Mach 1 handling packs and that's a 66k msrp (fully loaded) a 2ss 1le is 53k and yes it out performs the Mach. I've done direct comparisons and it's clear which has the better chassis. I'm not brand loyal whatsoever and I'll never be. But the fact is the Camaro is a better track and handling weapon hands down. The mag ride in the mustangs just gets bouncier where the Camaro obsorbs the bumps. It has a lower seating position. It installs better confidence for the driver. All of this including the chassis makes lower lap times. Really go drive them side by side and you'll see what everyone is talking about. The gt500 is 80k+. If it dosnt out handle a 50k Camaro then there is something wrong. I'm not saying the mustang in any form is bad. It's come a long way. But it's premises is a GT car. In comparison it's not the Camaro is only cheaper. No. It's actually better in the handling department, a lot better. Anyone that likes both cars has hoped the mustang would get the Camaros handling capabilities. Yes it's really that good. But like I said until you drive both side by side it's just a keyboard comparison and I'll tell you you'll change your mind almost immediately.
Codemanstang, thank you for your thorough explanation and defense of your thoughts. I respect it and donā€™t question that it may be completely true. Youā€™re right, I havenā€™t driven the Camaro and it may be everything you say it is. But that isnā€™t my point at all. My point is just this: no matter how much better the Camaroā€™s handling may be, that in no way makes the Mustangā€™s handling ā€œunacceptableā€œ. Using the word unacceptable without qualifiers to specify exactly what is meant, is in no way fair to a car that the market has found to be perfectly acceptable. Iā€™m not using any point of reference and donā€™t pretend to have one; Iā€™m just saying that in a general sense thereā€™s nothing unacceptable about the Mustangsā€™s handling, even if something else is better.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Codemanstang, thank you for your thorough explanation and defense of your thoughts. I respect it and donā€™t question that it may be completely true. Youā€™re right, I havenā€™t driven the Camaro and it may be everything you say it is. But that isnā€™t my point at all. My point is just this: no matter how much better the Camaroā€™s handling may be, that in no way makes the Mustangā€™s handling ā€œunacceptableā€œ. Using the word unacceptable without qualifiers to specify exactly what is meant, is in no way fair to a car that the market has found to be perfectly acceptable. Iā€™m not using any point of reference and donā€™t pretend to have one; Iā€™m just saying that in a general sense thereā€™s nothing unacceptable about the Mustangsā€™s handling, even if something else is better.
ya I can agree with that man. Just depends on your purpose is for the car and it's intended use. Surprisingly a guy running a modded 15 GT was running some of the lowest lap times at my last auto x event. It's a good platform to dial in. Guess maybe that's why I'm back here. Miss my mustangs. Cheers on the debate

OP
OP
Evo1986

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Agree. Camaro might be better in handling, but Mustangs are not crap. They may be worse, but not a level where handling or driving is unbearable.

I hope that Ford did a fairly better job with the S650. My tendency is that they did. To what extent? I don't know. Let us wait the first proper reviews and we deffo know more.

DarkHorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse(Pending)
Lol. I see a whooooole lotta comments here based on emotion and blind loyalties.
Why dont some of you guys look@track times? Numbers dont lie.
A quick search of Willow Springs track times will tell you a lot. See how even the top tier, more expensive Mustangs fare against a 1LE car.
Or, better yet, at bare minimumā€¦ actually DRIVE the competition before you determine that the difference is minimal?
If one drives them both, the disparity is obvious.

DarkHorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse(Pending)
Fair nuff. I will qualify my use of the term ā€œunacceptableā€ for youā€¦

The S550 Mustangā€™s handling is ā€œunacceptableā€ if one has a higher standard for handling and is actually AWARE of the competitionā€™s abilities.
Better?lol

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Lol. I see a whooooole lotta comments here based on emotion and blind loyalties.
Why dont some of you guys look@track times? Numbers dont lie.
A quick search of Willow Springs track times will tell you a lot. See how even the top tier, more expensive Mustangs fare against a 1LE car.
Or, better yet, at bare minimumā€¦ actually DRIVE the competition before you determine that the difference is minimal?
If one drives them both, the disparity is obvious.
Depends on the track. C&D Lighting Lap at VIR has GT350R and Mach 1 HP and even GT PP level 2 in front of the 1le(probably a lot to do with tires)

Price point for performance, 1le takes the win.

No doubt it's great for the price, but I am not a fan of the looks. Even if the 1le was faster than a new DH HP, which I doubt it will be, I'd still be buying the Ford, personally, regardless of the driving dynamics ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
Depends on the track. C&D Lighting Lap at VIR has GT350R and Mach 1 HP and even GT PP level 2 in front of the 1le(probably a lot to do with tires)

Price point for performance, 1le takes the win.

No doubt it's great for the price, but I am not a fan of the looks. Even if the 1le was faster than a new DH HP, which I doubt it will be, I'd still be buying the Ford, personally, regardless of the driving dynamics ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
I'm a big fan of C&D's Lightning Lap. I can't wait for the 2023 results to show up...IIRC, they said they'll publish the event sometime in February.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1; AT; M0960
DH will probably be better on a track/lightning lap if the suspension and steering improvements are significant, but I really just don't see this thing being markedly better that S550 Mach 1 in 0-60...same transmission...no weight savings...lower by a hair in torque. 1/4 mile might see a small boost once the car gets up in the higher RPM to use that 500HP. I hope I am proven wrong.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
DH will probably be better on a track/lightning lap if the suspension and steering improvements are significant, but I really just don't see this thing being markedly better that S550 Mach 1 in 0-60...same transmission...no weight savings...lower by a hair in torque. 1/4 mile might see a small boost once the car gets up in the higher RPM to use that 500HP. I hope I am proven wrong.
If you can order the CF wheels as a standalone option, I think that a base DH with the 10speed and only the CF wheels will have a good benefit off of the line. Maybe a tenth or two, but it could happen. I do agree that the quarter time might be faster once that 500 hp kicks in at higher rpms. Maybe a sub 12.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Fair nuff. I will qualify my use of the term ā€œunacceptableā€ for youā€¦

The S550 Mustangā€™s handling is ā€œunacceptableā€ if one has a higher standard for handling and is actually AWARE of the competitionā€™s abilities.
Better?lol

So is like Magneride better on Camaros...?

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Honestly, I'm thinking this is going to be very much like the SN95/New Edge Mustang...as in it's going to an evolution more than anything. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, either...in fact as long as the car stays around and sees some constant updates and tweaks to refine it...I welcome it! The Mach 1 is a great example of this. Yes it may be a parts bin car (with some bespoke exterior bits), but WOW, what a great machine.

I think the car will drive/perform very close to what we have now...better of course, but I don't think it will be by leaps and bounds. The key, IMHO, will be to minimize the weight gain. I expect the car to gain some heft (especially in the higher trims) but fingers crossed it'll be under 100 lbs. I really hope the car retains it's character and charm as well. The less diluted and numb, the better.

TLDR; a better car dynamically than the S550 in every area (trim to trim), but not by heaps.
I just want to know how good the suspension is (compared to the S550) as to driving on broken payment/utility cuts/railroad tracks. Every Ford I have had; its ball joints were replaced around 50k miles all due to the previous reasons.
Sponsored